maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: BREXIT!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:54 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 4670
Anthropoid wrote:
Over many years of diplomatic wrangling and a series of agreements/accords and treaties, by 1996 they had been completely nuclear disarmed and these concessions by Ukraine were gained in exchange for a variety of assurances from the U.S. if not other Western powers as well as Russia.

One important lesson of the Winter War 39-40 is; treaties can be broken. :twisted:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:33 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 8027
Anthropoid wrote:
Well assuming that "Russia remains the 'real' threat" (which I won't argue _against_ but wouldn't so strongly argue _for_ either), I'd say that all of us in "the West" (and including everyone who is anywhere "on the periphery" of Russia) are PRESENTLY "mooching" off of Ukraine.

Actually, I believe it was the desire of Ukraine to join the EU and NATO which forced the Russians hand and the area that was annexed was heavily populated by Russian speaking peoples or Russians proper.

The Russians explicitly warned the West that it would not tolerant NATO on its front porch and you can believe that they were not about to give up the Crimea without a fight.

Given that Russia has been invaded by Europeans twice in the last 200 and a bit years, can you really blame them for fearing a US backed military alliance directly on the border of Russia?

IMO... the real threat to peace in this area would be an aggressive Europe backed by the US.

Trump's mission to talk with Putin is an easy one. He will assure him that the US has no intention of either initiating or supporting NATO aggression against Russia.

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:34 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14927
Ukraine has no legitimate beef with the USA. We have fwd deployed forces and still provide the Nuclear Umbrella. Ukraine *DOES* have a legitimate beef with the other NATO states. Especially those EU states that enable Russia by gas purchases.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:39 pm 
Sergeant Major

It'd be the mother of all stupid ideas to invite Azerbaijan into NATO. How fuckin stupid does someone have to be to think putting the Caucasus oilfields under NATO control would not (CORRECTLY I might add) be seen as a massive provocation by Russia?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:48 am 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 4670
Lava wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:
IMO... the real threat to peace in this area would be an aggressive Europe backed by the US.

Seems unrealistic though - given that Russia has nukes, and spends plenty on the military while Europe hardly has any military forces and the US wants to get out of the region. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:19 am 
Sergeant Major

Trumps instincts are good but he has no coherent plan. Walk away from the NATO summit blathering about success when nothing has changed. He should have walked away with a plan to close a bunch of US bases on the continent.

I'm not a big fan of anyone's virtue-signaling. Trump needs to get tough not talk tough.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:35 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Well, in fairness, we do STILL have a treaty obligation and you don't want to send the Russians the wrong message or we could get stuck in a shooting war. Don't forget some idiot signed up Latvia and Lithuania.

There isn't really any realistic possibility of a major land invasion of Germany but the Baltic states are another matter. I think Trump is handling it about right. Nag and threaten...give chiefly Germany a while to step up....if not...you push the eject button and THEN get the troops out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:00 pm 
Sergeant Major

Well, if we walk away now, today, then we don't get dragged into a war.

In any case, we SHOULD exit NATO. If not today then tomorrow. If not tomorrow then at least have the process almost completed by 2020.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:56 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
I tried to look up what is the actual mechanism for a NATO withdrawal. I can't find any reference. Presumably, as this treaty has been around for a while...the US Senate has likely ratified the treaty like it says in the Constitution. :lol:

The question I have then is...can the President order a withdrawal from the treaty. I doubt it. He would have broad authority to order troop redeployments but I wonder about actually abrogating the treaty.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:03 pm 
Sergeant Major

I don't claim it's easy. There are a shitload of freeloaders, many of them wealthy Americans, for whom fucking over the US middle class in defense of globally owned assets is the reason why the USA is in NATO. But the president could withdraw from a base, and force Congress to do a politically difficult thing - explain to the American lower and middle class why they must sacrifice to defend Europeans who won't sacrifice to defend themselves much less to defend Americans.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 42  Next