maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Scale model hobby
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:42 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14927
Epic Troll wrote:
Ugly.

The Roger Young is complex, appears massive, has lots of detail, and a rugged, workmanlike appearance,

It's completely unlike the androgynous mug shot you use for your Avatar.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:46 am 
Sergeant Major

C_S wrote:
About the airbrush compressor thread - you must be airbrushing.. Take pictures of what ur doing and upload plz. This stuff is interesting imo

OK. I just finished a 1:700 scale Yorktown but was not satisfied with my work. Closing in on a 1:48 scout plane but same general feeling. I'm just getting started with the airbrush. Laying on slabs of paint I can do. Things like fade out on two or three color USN WW2 a.c. are still a problem for me.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:16 am 
Corporal

Reputation points: 990
mdiehl wrote:
Your skills are better than mine. I have a hard time when it gets to finishing places with complicated angles.

That's a nice ship. 1:350? Sweet.

Yeah, it's big. A hair over 30" long.

I've grown weary of the MS 21 paint scheme. Here I've post-shaded a bit and drybrushed to add some depth to the picture. Yorktown will have MS 12 graded, which will be more interesting to look at -- especially with a Sea Blue hull instead of the usual Navy Blue.

I have a hold-and-fold thingy for the photoetch. That makes bending that stuff so much easier.

My etch from Eduard for York is currently enroute from the Czechs.

Blue Ridge is putting out a 1/700 Wolverine, which I'm anxious to get. It'll be out in June. I haven't dipped into that scale too much yet, as it gets insanely small. I plan to waterline everything in that scale.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:47 am 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
I haven't dipped into that scale too much yet, as it gets insanely small.

I agree. I've done a few at that scale mostly because the entry level price works for me. But it's a challenge in a million ways, and you wind up spending alot if you want accurate small details, for photoetch, and you wind up in the price range of larger scale ships that were manufactured with better details in the first place.

So once I wrap up my few remaining 1:700s... one Hornet and several versions of the Treasury class cutters, I'm on to scales I can work with.

I'm really good with a brush. My minis tend to get very positive attention when I lay them out in ftf rpgs. And I have an Minas Morgul type army that can kill elves just with their appearance. ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:48 am 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
I have a hold-and-fold thingy for the photoetch. That makes bending that stuff so much easier.

What do you use? I need something like that if I'm to bring my work up a notch in quality.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:44 pm 
Corporal

Reputation points: 990
I have one of these.

http://freetimehobbies.com/the-small-shop-the-5-5-5-speed-hold-and-fold-photo-etch-tool-workstation/

Far better than just using a razor and straightedge. There are various types with differing prices.

I have one of these for more circular shapes, too.

http://freetimehobbies.com/the-small-shop-standard-rolling-set-photo-etch-tool/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:09 am 
Oppressive Tyrant and Enemy of Truth

Reputation points: 15843
1/350 scale aircraft come pre painted and assembled

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/172057437877?rmvSB=true

even down to the canopy frames. Several types available, look much better than the ones that come with the ship kits.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:53 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1459
mdiehl wrote:
Epic Troll wrote:
Ugly.

The Roger Young is complex, appears massive, has lots of detail, and a rugged, workmanlike appearance,

It's completely unlike the androgynous mug shot you use for your Avatar.

I am sorry to hurt your mind, you are such little primadonna.

I knew that I should use word 'fat' to make the joke more obvious. My common error is to overestimate other people's intellectual capacity.

And the truth is that Roger Young is ugly.

Ever considered taking anger management therapy? :roll:

PS. And you are always welcome to -rep me. Keep it coming. :lol:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:37 am 
Sergeant Major

doggie wrote:
1/350 scale aircraft come pre painted and assembled

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/172057437877?rmvSB=true

even down to the canopy frames. Several types available, look much better than the ones that come with the ship kits.

They do look good. I don't build in the 1:350 scale. Zad seems to have the skills to not need a prebuilt accessory. For my part, the fun is in the challenge.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:48 pm 
Sergeant Major

Roger Young starship arrived today. It's a resin model, with all the downsides that entails. Worse still, major subassemblies of the forward section were glued together by the manufacturer. The manufacturer did a terrible job with that. Apparently, their solution to bumps and nodules of resin between components that are supposed to come together was simply to press really hard, warp the kit, and hope no one would notice that it looks like it was manufactured by a a blind quadriplegic.

On the positive side, this is a kit that begs for internal lighting. The major pieces are quite large, but lighweight. I suspect that the forward and aft structures are hollow inside, but you cannot see that because parts have been pre-assembled.

So even though I am at best a mediocre talent with plastic models, I'm going to proceed as though I can do this. I've got a plan and I'ma work the plan. I'll post photos as I proceed.

The first part of the plan is to undo the factory preassemblies. It has to be done anyhow because of the shitty job they did with the assembly. The warping in major centerline pieces cannot be allowed to stand if I want the kit to look at all good. So I will look for the obvious joins where they assembled major parts, and use a fine saw to winkle and cut them apart.

The bonus of the cutting will be that I will then be able to see what I'm working with "inside" the Roger Young. I have a really good suite of burr grinders that I can use to make internal space for lights.

So the plan is:

1. Disassemble.
2. Assess damage caused by disassembly and design how to repair using various grades of sheet styrene that I will cut to fit.
3. Assess parts damaged by the factory that need to be cut away and replaced, and design and cut sheet styrene parts to fit.
4. Assess how to light the kit internally, grind parts as needed to make room for internal lights.
5. Repair the parts from 1&2.
6. Add lights.
7. Assemble.

Tomorrow I should have some pix of the kit as unboxed.

Progress will be intermittent. I plan on working up a complete, lit NSEA Protector first. Just to save my sanity by working on a kit that is for the most part not a fuck up as manufactured.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next