maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Scale model hobby
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:17 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1834
mdiehl wrote:
Quote:
Nothing else than you chose not to return substandard goods you received.

Ah. Well, the driving consideration was that there is no alternative source for the subject.

Was I to purchase a P-51 in 1:48 and receive a badly-molded kit, I'd send it back in a heartbeat. But there are no alternatives for a Roger Young. It is what it is. I understood that from the outset. Just didn't expect the people who molded it to be quite so inattentive to the process.

A small company with quality problems and no quality control at all. I thin the best you can do them and their business is to make kind reclamation what is wrong with the merchandise. How badly your fingers might itch at the moment.

I think that you understand what I mean. ;)

My camera example is little different, there was re-seller between the actual, foreign camera maker and the end user. And every other customer will suffer the expense of few not so smart customers.

RTFM. :twisted:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:48 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14677
I gave them some very critical feedback after I posted the components pix in this thread. I told them I could not recommend their Roger Young kit to anyone else. No idea if they will listen of course. Their reply was that they were surprised and that no one else had offered similar critique. That was either a polite fiction or else they've only gotten feedback from an Echo Chamber of people who just like the subject.

I give them credit for trying. It's not a "shit awful" kit, it just really needs alot of work to bring it up to glory. But if no one ever tried to do unusual subjects, as they have, then the range of subjects in fictional spacecraft would be damb dull: there'd be nothing but Star Wars Trek. The same company makes a "Betty" (Alien: Resurrection) that might be decent. If the Roger Young turns out well I may buy a Betty.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:03 pm 
Sergeant Major

So, we finished a couple more ships. #2 son enjoys it but finds legos more satisfying as they build faster. He's hanging in there though with his M10 even though he put the road wheels on backwards (but I did not tell him).

Had a bunch of time finally, yesterday. I spent the day learning how to wire LED lights to light up my space kits. So I'm suddenly making progress on my NSEA Protector. I've decided to go with internal lights in the main hull only, but if I can find some cheap fiberoptic line I might expand the lighting.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:55 pm 
Sergeant Major

Progress. I have the internal lighting for NSEA Protector soldered and held in place and the major hull sections together. So next is a light sanding and filling job on the seams, then attachment of the lower hull assembly and nacelle-arc.

Did a test run last night with the lights turned off and verified that the effect of internal lighting through the micro-drilled windows is a cool effect. Now just have to figure out how to run the wires out of the base/stand.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:52 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14720
I used to make some models. But I blew them all up! :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:26 pm 
Sergeant Major

Me too. I probably sank Bismarck and Prinz Eugen three times each when I was a kid. I built 'em just to watch 'em burn. My sons got me back into it. Now I find I want to take alot more care. A spaceship by itself is boring. One that has lights becomes a talking point.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:45 pm 
Sergeant Major

Have acquired a shton of new subjects for my retirement years. Several Ban Dai Star Wars kits (the fit finish and detail are excellent), a Zvezda big fricking Star Destroyer, and a Trumpeter 1:350 USS Indianapolis 1944 (to build with #2 son). Also, I have almost completed an NSEA Protector. The most difficult part of the kit is painting the base stand. #2 son and I finished an M-10 TD, and a Ghostbusters (1982) car a while back, and I may post some pix.

Roger Young is on temporary hold until I figure out how to cut it into pieces to remove the badly molded parts, then build a frame to hang them all on. That could be years before I start that up again.

Presently working on a T-34m1943 to go with my ASL Stalingrad game and I intend to make it a showpiece kit OOB.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:02 pm 
Corporal

Reputation points: 865
I've got Zvezda's T-35 kit.

I always used that tank in Squad Leader.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:14 pm 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
I always used that tank in Squad Leader.

The T35 in ASL a monster against infantry. One of the best tanks in the game for Overrun Attacks. The armor is typical for a pre-1941 tank (can't reliably live through a hit from anything larger than 37mm).

(Another great tank for overruns is the US M3 Light Tank.)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:49 pm 
Corporal

Reputation points: 865
My slow-moving Gambier Bay project. Not 100% perfect, but good enough.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next