maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Scale model hobby
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:45 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:19 pm
Posts: 26637
Reputation points: 20000
Nice Ghost Busters thingy. Where do the 300 lb black girls sit?

Zad...bitchen carrier

_________________
I haven't figured out how to the block thingy works but if anyone alters my posts I will become really, really angry and throw monkey poop out of my cage.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scale model hobby
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:19 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:33 pm
Posts: 20620
Location: LV-426
Reputation points: 14677
You probably recognized that as the 1982 Ecto-1. A 1958 Cadillac.

The major paints are insignia white and insignia red. There are two sets of bubbles in the front, one upper that you can see, and one lower. The upper is a chrome piece. I thinned Testors acrylic with Pledge (formerly Future) floor care finish to make a transparent paint and applied several layers to the chrome bubble. I also immersed the entire windshield/window set (its cast as one piece) in pledge to give it really great transparency. I took a few minor liberties with decal locations. There were supposed to be four decals on the small red rooftop tank, and two of them were identical looking caution triangles. I moved those to under the connector ports for the anti-ectoplasm hose connectors on the left side. The "Trilobites" hazard decal moved from the front FREON tank to the unmarked white tank at the rear.

_________________
"Fuck the king." - Sandor Clegane

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scale model hobby
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:24 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:33 pm
Posts: 20620
Location: LV-426
Reputation points: 14677
It was a good kit save for one thing. The chrome parts were attached to the sprue trees in places where the cut marks from separating the part from the tree would show as blemishes of bare, gray plastic. And the sprue tree was REALLY thick. I adjusted those with a small knife, and used some metallic chrome paint and a drop of pledge, so that it hides the blemishes but it's not "seamless."

_________________
"Fuck the king." - Sandor Clegane

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scale model hobby
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:29 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:33 pm
Posts: 20620
Location: LV-426
Reputation points: 14677
On the Roger Young I've been focusing on the front ... the "chin" if you will of the ship. The morons who cast the ship may have taken it from the mold before the resin had fully set, because sharp panel lines that are supposed to be angular are instead soft and rounded. It looks less like an armored starship and more like a running shoe.

So I trimmed down some badly cast lines on the front, sanded it thinner, and cut some applique panels from sheet styrene. I've been affixing and seaming those. I also need to slice out window arcs because the ship will be lit from the inside. That will use a saw. Then I'll insert small bits of cut styrene to make new window frame panels. After I paint it, the windows will be filled in with Testors clear parts maker.

I'm still working on ideas for replacing the warped sides. Problem 1 is that the resin is cast mighty thin on the sides. Ima have to abrade the interior lightly and add some milput and styrene blocks to shore things up before I decide whether or not to cut on the sides.

_________________
"Fuck the king." - Sandor Clegane

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scale model hobby
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:45 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 15110
Reputation points: 1834
mdiehl wrote:
On the Roger Young I've been focusing on the front ... the "chin" if you will of the ship. The morons who cast the ship may have taken it from the mold before the resin had fully set, because sharp panel lines that are supposed to be angular are instead soft and rounded. It looks less like an armored starship and more like a running shoe.

So I trimmed down some badly cast lines on the front, sanded it thinner, and cut some applique panels from sheet styrene. I've been affixing and seaming those. I also need to slice out window arcs because the ship will be lit from the inside. That will use a saw. Then I'll insert small bits of cut styrene to make new window frame panels. After I paint it, the windows will be filled in with Testors clear parts maker.

I'm still working on ideas for replacing the warped sides. Problem 1 is that the resin is cast mighty thin on the sides. Ima have to abrade the interior lightly and add some milput and styrene blocks to shore things up before I decide whether or not to cut on the sides.

To me your model looked, kind of rough and unfinished. Do you feel cheated?

I would be pissed in case of getting junk. :twisted:

Hate and Fear.

_________________
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scale model hobby
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:01 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:33 pm
Posts: 20620
Location: LV-426
Reputation points: 14677
Quote:
Do you feel cheated?


Mildly so. I knew that the Roger Young kit had a kind of unfinished look and feel to it based on prior reviews. I had not anticipated the warping or the drippy gobs of hardened resin in strange places. For the price, there should not have been any drippy gobs, and the centerline warping should have been noticed when the kit came out of the mold, and they should have recast it, rather than shipping it.

On the flip side is this: making a sloppy kit look good is a satisfying thing, so I plan to take my time and do it right. I don't feel inclined to whine about it. Instead I'm looking on it as a challenge that will allow me to develop and improve my scale model skills.

_________________
"Fuck the king." - Sandor Clegane

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scale model hobby
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:21 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 15110
Reputation points: 1834
mdiehl wrote:
Quote:
Do you feel cheated?


Mildly so. I knew that the Roger Young kit had a kind of unfinished look and feel to it based on prior reviews. I had not anticipated the warping or the drippy gobs of hardened resin in strange places. For the price, there should not have been any drippy gobs, and the centerline warping should have been noticed when the kit came out of the mold, and they should have recast it, rather than shipping it.

On the flip side is this: making a sloppy kit look good is a satisfying thing, so I plan to take my time and do it right. I don't feel inclined to whine about it. Instead I'm looking on it as a challenge that will allow me to develop and improve my scale model skills.

Yeah, you can fix it. No permanent damage done.

But how about say buying a camera by post order. A device with optics, electronics, mechanics and software. You can not do anything but return the camera. I read several camera forums and there several cases when the aspirant photographer had returned two cameras, but with the third one he had time to read the instruction manual to learn how to use the camera. :roll:

I just wonder what is the cost of the ignorance to other camera buyers? :twisted:

Hate and Fear.

_________________
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scale model hobby
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:35 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:33 pm
Posts: 20620
Location: LV-426
Reputation points: 14677
Not sure where you're going with that or what it has to do with this thread.

_________________
"Fuck the king." - Sandor Clegane

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scale model hobby
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:45 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 15110
Reputation points: 1834
mdiehl wrote:
Not sure where you're going with that or what it has to do with this thread.

Nothing else than you chose not to return substandard goods you received. Just that.

And the example was about people returning perfectly OK stuff, because they did not know how properly use the device.

You saw that there was some little problems and chose to fix problem, the others return to device without knowing how to use the equipment. There is a little difference.

Nothing more. ;)

_________________
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scale model hobby
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:55 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:33 pm
Posts: 20620
Location: LV-426
Reputation points: 14677
Quote:
Nothing else than you chose not to return substandard goods you received.


Ah. Well, the driving consideration was that there is no alternative source for the subject.

Was I to purchase a P-51 in 1:48 and receive a badly-molded kit, I'd send it back in a heartbeat. But there are no alternatives for a Roger Young. It is what it is. I understood that from the outset. Just didn't expect the people who molded it to be quite so inattentive to the process.

_________________
"Fuck the king." - Sandor Clegane

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group