maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Scale model hobby
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:06 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14677
#2 Son is increasingly into this. We finished USS Arizona some time ago. I did this thing with strips of chart tape and different shades of teak brown to produce a more realistic looking deck. Now we're working on a 1:700 USS Yorktown (CV 5).

It turns out that there are now lots of LED kits for models. I don't know anything about circuitry is there a decent book on wiring LED circuits? I know the Vs and Ohms are generally quite low, and I know the difference between parallel and series, but I could use a refresher and something that talks specifically about techniques for things like mating a fiber optic line end to a porthole.

The reason for all that is not to light up a USN ship but instead because I could not resist purchasing a scale model of the Roger Young from "Starship Troopers" (film) and I would love love love to detail it and light it up.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

Post subject: Re: Scale model hobby
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:19 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
You could probably get an inexpensive headlamp and disassemble it. Here is one with 18 LED's and a battery pack for $7. The price seems too good to be true.

http://www.lightingever.com/20-led-head ... aQodoscNbg

I can't imagine you could buy the components for that. DC, low voltage, low heat, no transformer, already has a switch.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:44 pm 
Sergeant Major

There are a couple of manufacturers of pre-assembled LED kits for models, and a couple others that sell the lights, the breadboards, the f.o. lines, etc. No one has a pre-made interior lighting kit for Roger Young though. So I need to learn to do it myself.

I purchased the kit from Monsters in Motion.

http://www.monstersinmotion.com/cart/sci-fi-as-in-science-fiction-item-listt-c-9_188/roger-young-starship-carrier-model-hobby-kit-p-366

As they have assembled and painted it, the "windows" are white paint. Ima go the full detail route. Interior lighting. I can cut my own windows. I've downloaded some art "blueprint" type schematics for Roger Young so that I can add exterior details as needed to give it more depth and detail.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:31 pm 
Oppressive Tyrant and Enemy of Truth

Reputation points: 15843
A lit up 1/350 Titanic would be easier.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:10 pm 
Sergeant Major

That's true. But Titanic isn't my cup of coffee.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:23 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17509
About the airbrush compressor thread - you must be airbrushing.. Take pictures of what ur doing and upload plz. This stuff is interesting imo

This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:34 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1834
C_S wrote:
About the airbrush compressor thread - you must be airbrushing.. Take pictures of what ur doing and upload plz. This stuff is interesting imo

Ugly.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:34 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 17050
mdiehl wrote:
#2 Son is increasingly into this. We finished USS Arizona some time ago. I did this thing with strips of chart tape and different shades of teak brown to produce a more realistic looking deck. Now we're working on a 1:700 USS Yorktown (CV 5).

It turns out that there are now lots of LED kits for models. I don't know anything about circuitry is there a decent book on wiring LED circuits? I know the Vs and Ohms are generally quite low, and I know the difference between parallel and series, but I could use a refresher and something that talks specifically about techniques for things like mating a fiber optic line end to a porthole.

The reason for all that is not to light up a USN ship but instead because I could not resist purchasing a scale model of the Roger Young from "Starship Troopers" (film) and I would love love love to detail it and light it up.

I know electricity is that smoke and sparks substance that goes inside those thin power tubes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:59 am 
Corporal

Reputation points: 865
My current project: CV-2. Nearly finished with here. Left to do is mainly rigging, a few angled ladders and the little catwalk between the bridge and funnel. That and the rest of the air group.

I used Tom's Modelworks photoetch. Tom's stuff isn't very user-friendly, with some of the worst illustrations I've ever seen. The 5"/38 barrels are all turned brass replacements. Much more convincing.

Merit's CV-5 is next on the list. I'll be replacing lots of stuff on that one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:39 am 
Sergeant Major

Your skills are better than mine. I have a hard time when it gets to finishing places with complicated angles.

That's a nice ship. 1:350? Sweet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next