maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 927 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 93  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zoombie Redoubts
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:35 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16677
2019-05-25
1000-1200
60F
10 MPH S

Goals: Tree Rat

Environment: Windy and overcast.

Equipment: tikka t1x .22lr(20) with center-x and athlong 6-24x scope on 6x.

Activity: Was in garage cleaning 7.62(20) stoner. Had both garage doors open to let in some light. A tree rat wanders in on my side and we make eye contact. Neither one of us moves. Eventually she (determined later) moves over to the other side where the chicken feed is. I am not moving. I am waiting for the tree rat to leave, so I can go in the house, get the .22LR and get back out and hopefully get a shot. Eventually the tree rat decides to leave and I execute the plan. When I get back out and go around the corner, by first aiming the rifle in the direction the tree rat would probably be and then emerge from behind the corner. The tree rat in on the ground 10yds in front of me. I aim, but the danged scope is set to 75yds parallax and 22x magnification. I fix the scope. In the mean time, the TR moves into some bushes. I wait. The tree rat runs to a nearby tree and hides behind a branch ... but I can see enough for a shot ... aim ... fire ... tree rat falls to the ground and runs off. I inspect the area. Significant blood on some leaves at the base of the tree.

Looks like a solid hit. I call it "dead". But I look around at nearby trees. I check the branch "V"s where tree rats like to hide. No joy.
I head off to start mowing the yard.
Eventually I see the tree rat lying beneath one of the trees I had checked, she died and fell to the ground.

results/summary: The main learning is, when I finish shooting dots and groups with this .22Lr I need to reset the scope on 6x and parallax to 30yds. I would've got the tree rat at 10yds had I done that. This is necessary because this rifle has two purposes. Dots and groups and tree rats. And when I need the rifle for tree rats, time is of the essence, so needs to be reset in advance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:27 pm 
Sergeant Major

2019-05-31/06-01
2300-0300
60F
5 MPH S

Goals: Cattle overwatch

Equipment:

SB004: 7.62(16) xtr2 3-15x scr-mil radius m118lr RRS (carry bag for RRS)
1 x uv5r with peltor PPT and COMTAC III under helmet
HVV helmet with ir and vis light and PVS-14 and COTI (right side) and IR-Patrol (left side)
2 mags 7 rds each m118lr
Pouch molled to tripod with 1 quart water
spare batts: 10xc123

Moi: 5.56(10.3) Mk3 60mm cqbl laser radius 1 legged primos stick
1 x uv5r with peltor ptt and COMTAC III ears on helmet
OPS CORE bump with ir and vis lights and usb PVS-14 COTI (right side) and IR-PATROL (left side)
CP Assault pack with Foxpro Hellfire 3 pints water 2 protein bars pouch with remote for HF set for wood pecker(p1) and yote locator(p2)
2 mags 15 rds each 77gr IMI
spare batts: 8xc123, 4xAA, 4xaaa

==
Activity:
Prep: The Crye Precision "assault" pack is about the smallest pack I ever did see. And I question my thinking about getting it. But for this exercise it seemed perfect. The hellfire fit in the larger compartment. My 2 pints (1 quart) of water in the next larger compartment, the two protein bars in the next larger and our reserve pint of water in the 4th compartment.
In my pockets I had the spare batts, my phone and 2nd mag. In pouches on the front of the pack straps I had the radio, PTT and pouch with hellfire remote.
The pack went on first, then strapped on the gun, the the helmet.
SB004 had no pack. He had the tripod carry bag strapped on his back and he molled a larger CP pouch which held his 1 quart bottle of water. His pockets had phone, spare batts and 2nd mag. He put the tripod bag, on then the gun, then the helmet. Then we checked the radios again and were good to go.
Before hand, I had discussed "mud walk" procedures. Put advancing foot down first and push in slowly to make sure you have solid footing. Then twist while pulling rear foot out of mud, to try to make sure boot comes with it. Steps may take 1 minute each.
I had a 3rd leg. My primos, he did not. I said, if he felt unsteady to close up and one one hand on my pack. I was point.
I had explained we would be going up a steepish hill side with a significant seepage and lots of mud. He knew the ground because we had tried and failed to take the buggy up that slope earlier in the day when heading out to the pasture. We had to go around the long way and cross the main creek etc. But I explained we would be trying to skirt around the super muddy road and follow the tree line to the south. On the way out, we practiced him walking with hand holding on to my pack, so we both knew what it felt like.

Once we cross thru the fence, I called "mud walk" and the new procedures were i force. It might have take 20 minutes, but we made it up the slope. The hard part was walking up hill on muddy ground with the ground also sloping away from right to left. But we made it with no one falling. Then we had to climb a steeper hill, but could walk on the taller, thicker grass in the pasture which gave more footing. We made it to the top of signal hill. So called by us as phones can get a signal up there.
Up and the top, we setup his tripod and I removed my pack, which was possible even with the gun still strapped on. We had to move my radio and ptt to my pockets and outer cover, but that got done.

After a short hydration break, we began scanning the area. I gave him the 180 degree sector of the South fence. The wind was from the South, so he would be scanning the 180 degrees facing the wind. I would be scanning a 240 degree sector facing north, but overlapping the east and west edges of his sector by 30 degrees on both sides. So we started to scan and called out azimuth and distance of critter groups we saw. This gave us orientation and situational awareness of all critter groups out there, including my cattle were were centered about 600yds 45 degrees. Pasture neighbor cattle (35 count) were 700-800 yards at 230 degrees. The farthest cattle group we saw was right around 2900-3100 yds at 15 degrees. The good thing about the gear we had is that the UTC-x with 3-15x scope and a radius gives great spotting and ranging performance. And the mk3 60mm with a radius gives equivalent performance. Even on 4.5x I could see cattle at 3000yds with no problem. So could SB004.

I explained I would set up the call about 100yds East of us ... on a fence post facing South (into to the wind). So we could be cross wind to the call. The call would also be facing a pond. I had SB004 range both the near and far banks of the pond and 187 and 236 yds. I then departed to setup the hell fire. I was about to mount it on the top of a fairly large fence post and use the shape of the hellfire and its battery pouch and mounting bracket to help brace it. It remained in place there thru out the exercise. I then returned to the position.

We did another round of scanning and then I asked "READY?" and got "yes" ... so I turned on the call and maxed out the volume and let the woodpecker run for 90secs. It always amazes me how they do they sound. It really sounds like the critter is moving around as the sound seem to emminate from different locations during the 90s. After the 90s I offed the hellfire and switched to the coyote locator. I don't know why they call it that. But, when I've used it in the past, if there are any yotes around they all start hollering just like the yotes on this call. So, I do use it as a "yote locator" but I'm not sure that's why they call it that. I ran the "yote locator" for 30s on then 30s off and repeated 3 times. We got zero response. There were no yotes out there at that time. When we had been out earlier doing our wind practice (see day shooting thread) we had heard yotes yipping just like those in this call at two points. So they were out at dusk, but not afterwards. I explained my theory that around here, in the warmer months, their food supply is more plentiful around their dens and they don't have to work so hard and go hunting at night.

So, we did another round of scanning and did not see any deer, which was a surprise as I see them almost every night when I go out around the chicken coop.

Then it was time to pack up. While SB004 was packing up the tripod I retreived the hellfire and then packed up my get and got ready to move. Then we started back. As we approached the muddy slope, I asked if we wanted to try to go directly down the muddy road our retrace our path along the edge of the woods farther to the South. The memory of the multi-directional slopes and trying not to slip on them was fresh in our minds and we decided to try the strait down the road approach. I reminded SB004 of the "mud walk" process. We start down. The mud got deeper and deeper and was soon over the tops of my muck boots (over my knees) ... I was twisting a turning to get my foot with the boot on it .. out of the deep mud. After succeeding and taking another step, we decided to rest of a moment. When we tried to move again, both my feet were stuck. Eventually I got one of them out but nothing I tried would get the other one out. SB004 had gone around me to my left where the mud was MUCH less deep. He was now in front of me or more solid ground. We agreed I would hand him my weapon. So I unsnapped and handed it over. I then say down in the mud and pulled my foot out of the boot. Then I was able to pull the boot out of the mud and put the boot back on my foot. And rolling on to my knees and using the primos stick I was able to get stood back up and get back on the move. We had to cross the 15 foot tall bridge over turtle creek and I radioed back that we would be slowing down for this so as not to slip off the bridge and tumble 15 feet on to the rocks below. We made it. Then went thru the gate and were back on solid ground and heading for home.

Fortunately, I've had these sorts of mud problems before and going down in the mud, pulling out my foot, then the boot and reassembling is not an unfamiliar process for me :D

But I have never been so muddy. I spent 30m hosing down myself and the relevant gear after getting back. I was "mud man supreme" this night.

Summary/Results: It was good for the team to practice team scanning by sector and indexing of critter groups by azimuth and distance as well as indexing relevant terrain features by same. And to practice the mud walk process.

I'll try to assemble some of the gear from last night and take a pic shortly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:13 pm 
Sergeant Major

From left to right around clockwise ...

upper left, uv5r radio, ptt, helmet

up against the wall, light balaklava, 5.56(10.3) with mk3 60mm and radius ... 2 mags, batteries

right side, peltor headset, radio spare batt, ptt

bottom, tripod carry bag with molle pouch which held 1 quart of h2o, tripod, remote for hellfire

lower left, pack with hell fire, 3 pints h2o, 2x protein bars

ir-patrol, pvs14 pas29

==

Main learning from the night ... avoid deep mud, rather than force way thru. We had come up that hill by another path that worked. I wonder if I just wanted to SEE if we could make it thru the mud. In training that is ok. It took us outside the box a little bit, outside our comfort zone a little bit. But we knew the other path worked, it was less risky.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:13 pm 
Sergeant Major

From left to right around clockwise ...

upper left, uv5r radio, ptt, helmet

up against the wall, light balaklava, 5.56(10.3) with mk3 60mm and radius ... 2 mags, batteries

right side, peltor headset, radio spare batt, ptt

bottom, tripod carry bag with molle pouch which held 1 quart of h2o, tripod, remote for hellfire

lower left, pack with hell fire, 3 pints h2o, 2x protein bars

ir-patrol, pvs14 pas29

==

Main learning from the night ... avoid deep mud, rather than force way thru. We had come up that hill by another path that worked. I wonder if I just wanted to SEE if we could make it thru the mud. In training that is ok. It took us outside the box a little bit, outside our comfort zone a little bit. But we knew the other path worked, it was less risky.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:21 pm 
Sergeant Major

A mile to our SW is one of our counties three bison herds ... I spotted a little one a few days ago and got a pic ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:51 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 20000
I hear you are a racist now jwilkerson...

Attachment:
1560624904430.png
1560624904430.png [ 224.44 KiB | Viewed 164 times ]

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:12 pm 
Sergeant Major

Funny!
I work for a company based in downtown SF (in the Financial District). Though our company is small, we are global. I built a Vietnam Team (8 members) 7 years ago and they represent a third of our engineering now. We also have 2 euros: a nederlander and a romanian. And people in N Carolina, Georgia, NYC, Oregon, CA, TX and KS.
My co-workers are Vietnamese, Indian (ruby kind), Chinese, Chilean, Male, Female, Jewish, Hindu, Cathaholic even one Moozlim, etc.
Besides meeting with the VN Team members each morning this week to solidify table designs for a new customer facing reporting system we are building, I had time to go out and cut the alfalfa, rake it three times over six days ... and bale it up, finished last night. Got 48 bales out of an 18 acre patch we normally get about 16-24 bales out of. Fighting equipment issues and mother nature all the way.
Please tell Doc Taber, we can have it both ways !!
:D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:07 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
If Dr. Tabor is so offended by those who are involved in “US agriculture” then she should stop purchasing products that include US agricultural products.

She should go to her local market and ask them to point out those items that are produced overseas.

Or she can go to Amazon or some other online website and only order stuff that is not grown in the US

She will also have to give up eating in restaurants since I would suspect most everything they serve is going to be, in part, made up of ingredients that were grown/produced in the US.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:55 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18687
Here use the the term "white nationalism" tells me that Dr. Taber is a hack who couldn't write a passing essay on the scientific method in a Freshman level course back in my day. These days, I suspect finding a social or even behavioral science program where scientific method was embraced, much less taught would be a real trick.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:33 pm 
Sergeant Major

Jun 8 - Jun 15

Decided to take a chance and cut 18 acre alfalfa patch on 8 June, despite chances of rain over the next few days. Sometimes you take a risk. I was going to move the cattle in there on the 17th and wanted to get it cut first before they had a chance to go in there and mess it up.

So, cutting was the easy part, did that myself on 8 June, took 7 hours, due to tall thick hay and getting jammed up 9 times.

On 9 June the hay was still wet, not because of rain but because it had been so tall and thick and the moitsure on the lower end of the plants was significant. So for the first time ever I raked it. Borrowed neighbors rake and smaller (45 PTO) tractor. These pics are from that tractor while I was raking.

==
Tried to bale the next day, but the baler wasn't wrapping. It had just been serviced by John Deere, so we had them come out the next day and participate in the testing and fixing. In the mean time, raked again as it rained a little.

==
John deere got the baler mostly working. We could wrap but the bale sizes were on the small side. Got about half of the field baled before it got dark and the dew got in the hay and jammed up the baler.

==
It rained again Wednesday and Thursday ... so I raked again Friday ... and finished baling Friday night. Got 45 bales. Usually we get 16-24 bales off that field, so double the average yield. This will more than feed the cattle this winter. The rest of the bales I get this year will be stored or sold.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 927 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 93  Next