maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 913 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 92  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zoombie Redoubts
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:11 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16552
Wow ! ... heading out now to take them some bales ... without a tractor, I would be hosed ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:15 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
nelmsm wrote:
Don't get a lot of snow out here in West Texas but we can get some doozies. I think it was 2016 we had anywhere from 12 to 18 inches depending on where you stood but it came with 40 mph winds. Estimates put dairy cow losses at somewhere around 30,000 head if I remember right. We have next to no snow removal equipment so they couldn't get out to dig the cows out as some were literally buried nor to feed/water them in time.

Quote:
We have next to no snow removal equipment so they couldn't get out to dig the cows out as some were literally buried nor to feed/water them in time

That unfortunately is a potential issue when areas in the south receive the occasional snow.

Some years ago I had to travel to Charlotte, NC for work.
While we were at the worksite (warm and cozy inside an office building) they started to receive snow. The forcecast was for about an inch of snow, but they started sending their employees home at about 3pm. I knew the site manager from his previously working in one of our Chicagoland offices. I saw him leaving with the rest at 3pm and started to razz him about it.... "Come on Bill, you know how to drive in the snow". His response "I do but nearly no one else on the roads here knows how to drive in the snow".

Our Chicago crew stayed until the normal 5pm time and then went out looking for a place to eat dinner. Nearly every restaurant in town was closed since they had all sent their employees home as well. I later found out that the Charlotte-Mecklenburg County Roads dept only had 2 trucks equipped with a snow plow to clean off the roads in a county that is 524 sq. miles. 2 snowplows are probably adequate most of the time since they rarely receive snow, but not so adequate for when they actually do get snow.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:40 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 19875
Sometimes you get 1 or 2 hrs of hail on the ground before it melts around here and the snow level will get down to 2000-2500 feet once a year. Very beautiful. Fairly cold winter. I guess global warming is over.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:26 pm 
Sergeant Major

Delivering two bales this morning ...

Here they are starting in on the first one ..

While I'm dumping the second one ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:35 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18312
chijohnaok wrote:
nelmsm wrote:
Don't get a lot of snow out here in West Texas but we can get some doozies. I think it was 2016 we had anywhere from 12 to 18 inches depending on where you stood but it came with 40 mph winds. Estimates put dairy cow losses at somewhere around 30,000 head if I remember right. We have next to no snow removal equipment so they couldn't get out to dig the cows out as some were literally buried nor to feed/water them in time.

Quote:
We have next to no snow removal equipment so they couldn't get out to dig the cows out as some were literally buried nor to feed/water them in time

That unfortunately is a potential issue when areas in the south receive the occasional snow.

Some years ago I had to travel to Charlotte, NC for work.
While we were at the worksite (warm and cozy inside an office building) they started to receive snow. The forcecast was for about an inch of snow, but they started sending their employees home at about 3pm. I knew the site manager from his previously working in one of our Chicagoland offices. I saw him leaving with the rest at 3pm and started to razz him about it.... "Come on Bill, you know how to drive in the snow". His response "I do but nearly no one else on the roads here knows how to drive in the snow".

Our Chicago crew stayed until the normal 5pm time and then went out looking for a place to eat dinner. Nearly every restaurant in town was closed since they had all sent their employees home as well. I later found out that the Charlotte-Mecklenburg County Roads dept only had 2 trucks equipped with a snow plow to clean off the roads in a county that is 524 sq. miles. 2 snowplows are probably adequate most of the time since they rarely receive snow, but not so adequate for when they actually do get snow.

Yeah! My wife was amazed at how efficient they were at keeping the roads cleared in Taxachusetts. Complete contrast to the Atlanta or northwest Florida area--or even central Tennessee. 4 inches of snow and civilization grinds to a halt.

I've actually got a non-trivial life story pertaining to this inter-regional difference. Having grown up in MO I had plenty of experience with snowy weather by the time I was finishing m MA and applying for Ph.D. schools. I got asked to come down to Atlanta to interview and so I hopped in the Toyota and hit the road. Well the biggest blizzard in about 20 years just happens to have ensued shortly after I passed St. Louis :P This made the whole trip a bit more white knuckle, but not a huge deal really. By the time I was past Chattanooga it was well past dark and I was literally passing the snow plows! Though there wasn't much snow to plow that far south.

A lot of the other candidates who flew in were delayed by 12 to 24 hours but I was on time next morning, bright eyed and bushy tailed. I was quite famous for being the savage from Missouri who drove through the Blizzard! Probably part of why I was accepted: good to have your token savage, or at least it was back in those days . . .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:49 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:

Yeah! My wife was amazed at how efficient they were at keeping the roads cleared in Taxachusetts. Complete contrast to the Atlanta or northwest Florida area--or even central Tennessee. 4 inches of snow and civilization grinds to a halt.

I've actually got a non-trivial life story pertaining to this inter-regional difference. Having grown up in MO I had plenty of experience with snowy weather by the time I was finishing m MA and applying for Ph.D. schools. I got asked to come down to Atlanta to interview and so I hopped in the Toyota and hit the road. Well the biggest blizzard in about 20 years just happens to have ensued shortly after I passed St. Louis :P This made the whole trip a bit more white knuckle, but not a huge deal really. By the time I was past Chattanooga it was well past dark and I was literally passing the snow plows! Though there wasn't much snow to plow that far south.

A lot of the other candidates who flew in were delayed by 12 to 24 hours but I was on time next morning, bright eyed and bushy tailed. I was quite famous for being the savage from Missouri who drove through the Blizzard! Probably part of why I was accepted: good to have your token savage, or at least it was back in those days . . .

My bold emphasis above.

You were probably lucky that you made it there.
I have no doubt that you were secure in your snow driving skills, but he snow can reak havoc on others.

I found this photo as an example of what I am talking about:

Abandoned autos littering the roadway.

That was from a snowstorm that you are probably very familiar with.....

The infamous '2 inch blizzard' that shut down Atlanta in 2014: :lol:
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/al ... down-after
There are a ton of photos at the above linked article.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:58 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18312
The trick is to "keep the fuck away from others, as much as possible!"

I've had a few close calls, but I've also literally managed to maneuver my way out of risky situations, i.e., running with the pack and then observed accidents going down in my rear view at least twice in my life and possibly more times than that.

Sometimes you need to slow down and let the clown shoe brigade run bird dog for you on up ahead, other times you need to put the pedal to the metal and get the fuck out ahead of the rolling squad of idiots. Short of alcohol induced deficiencies I never wrecked and I avoided wrecks at least twice that I can think of right off the top of my head.

So yeah . . . :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:14 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
The trick is to "keep the fuck away from others, as much as possible!"

I've had a few close calls, but I've also literally managed to maneuver my way out of risky situations, i.e., running with the pack and then observed accidents going down in my rear view at least twice in my life and possibly more times than that.

Sometimes you need to slow down and let the clown shoe brigade run bird dog for you on up ahead, other times you need to put the pedal to the metal and get the fuck out ahead of the rolling squad of idiots. Short of alcohol induced deficiencies I never wrecked and I avoided wrecks at least twice that I can think of right off the top of my head.

So yeah . . . :mrgreen:

Those are some good ways to deal with it....but sometimes it gets so bad that you are f*cked:

The Chicago blizzard of 1967---where roads were turned into parking lots because cars got stuck, or simply ran out of gas.
When your car is surrounded by others, no one is moving and there is nothing that you can do to extricate your vehicle.

I found this video (my first time watching it):

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:59 am 
Sergeant Major

I took this after the coldest time last night, which got us down to -4F ... and -2F or -4F are not the coldest temps I've seen since being out here ... we had -11F low 5 years ago and -20F last year.

Cold mostly makes us worry about the critters, especially the chickens ... but we can close up the coup and we even have a heater in there ... so they are surviving ... and the cattle are ok as well ... they huddle up on "blankets" of hay from older bales they've finished.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:42 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 19875
The chicken coup has wood paneling? :shock: Do they have big screens and Lazy-boys too?

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 913 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 92  Next