maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zoombie Redoubts
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:23 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10226
It is a bit too short. If I ever buy another one I think I'll go for 19 or 20" but not longer than 20"

Also, I think I might well lean toward more of a ghurkha style blade with a more weighted end. The blade is reasonably sharp, but it is not heavy enough to whack through saplings in the 1/4" range consistently. I find I often have to whack them three, four maybe even six times and that is not my experience with the old "Guatemala style" machetes you can probably still buy at many military surplus and probably even at Walmart.

There is a bewildering variety of machetes and the only ones I have a lot of experience with are the "Guatemala style" (that is what I recall they are referred to) and this Scott's titanium one. None of the ones this guy covers really floats my boat.

I think if I buy another one, I might check out one of these:

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:26 pm 
First Sergeant

Yeah, that schrade "large" kukri looks sweet

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:38 pm 
First Sergeant

Ah no, what I was referring to as "Guatemala style" is apparently actually El Salvador style

I think this is the most common variety of machete you find in the U.S., and I've seen it at many military surplus and sporting good stores and I've used them a lot. They work fine, but I find they are just a bit too long (18" blade and 23.5" total length seems to be common).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:02 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11537
I've had one. It has a good edge and it's made of steel but takes many whacks on 1/4" anything. It's very much like the first machete in that video review that was described as "very good for cutting grass." I disagree with the reviewer that it's good for clearing brush. Maybe somewhere with less mesquite, mtn mahogany, etc but the one I have stinks at clearing brush. It also feels like it flexes too much. Everything I've seen otc looks basically the same as the one I have, but I have not tried a milsurplus store. Thx for the comments on the machetes, that helps.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:07 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10165
Wow, you guys played 10+ pages of "tennis" while I was in CA ... there are a number of points I want to comment on ... but it might take me a week to catch up!
:)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:16 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11537
Yep. Two pages of General Custer pronouncing swords to be superior to firearms. Six pages of General Custer stating that optics make it more difficult to see things. One page of General Custer invoking ninjas wearing invisibility cloaks as RL scenarios. Two pages of General Custer asserting that I don't know wtf. Three posts where General Custer says he doesn't need a telescope to look at stars that are invisible to the eye because he can just fly closer to them. And one post where General Custer repeats my explanation as to why things obscured by near objects become more visible when viewed through optics.

Also, some very useful information from Anthropoid about machetes.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:45 pm 
First Sergeant

Gump wrote:
As part of an evaluation of these "light gathering" scopes and their usefulness for hitting targets at night, it would be interesting to see if they can illuminate a target that is positioned in the shadows of a tree line for example:

A day rifle scope cannot see a critter which is standing near enough to the tree line we see in the pic that the tree line is completely behind the critter ... hecque, even a PVS-14 which IS an "image intensifying" device ... cannot see such a critter. We I got my first thermal I posted here (in the Legislation thread in those days) a video of the thermal seeing deer in the alfalfa patch and said the PVS-14 had seen an empty pasture whereas the thermal saw three deer. Now if there is a gap in the treeline and some moonlight is reaching the critter ... then we might be able to see the critter even with the day scope.

I will do some pics.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:47 pm 
First Sergeant

My shooting buddy is coming out tomorrow and his day job is "photographer" and I'll ask him about some of these questions we've asked here. Right now I'm thinking big lenses let in more light than small lens ... hence a 50mm scope can see better than a 24mm scope at night ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:02 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 4144
Quote:
A day rifle scope cannot see a critter which is standing near enough to the tree line we see in the pic that the tree line is completely behind the critter

Yes I agree. Which is also why I could not even see my boat at 30 yards last night. It's set against a tree line, which is a black hole of light. What makes a target visible at night is the background, and being able to discern the shape of the target against the light reflecting off the background. That alone probably goes a long way to explain my skepticism. In a hilly place like TN you are virtually surrounded by background like you see in that photo...

Is the emitter on that PVS very powerful ? We use a flashlight size beam that will show eyes and faint shapes in an ATN scope even against a black backdrop like that at about 150 yds..

Last edited by Gump on Fri May 19, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:17 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 8782
Back to killing Zombies

Here is what looks like the perfect Zombie Killer

which he sez would be a great cheap zombie basher. 3:40

Why this and not guns? Guns and such run out of bullets, the Basher is like the Energizer Bunny, never runs out. Rather like Emily Blunt in 'Edge of Tomorrow (2014)' using a modified Chopper Blade as pointed out in the Anemia.

If your going head to head with a mass of Zombies then a Fireman's outfit might do or

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 58  Next