maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zoombie Redoubts
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:49 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 4144
The sheer humor of you thinking you needed to show everyone your gun is almost sad.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:50 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11537
Quote:
Getting that one last pathetic little squeak out of you was worth shooting it again I guess...

The best part about this is that I don't have to prove that you're an ass. You manage it quite well on your own. :mrgreen:

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:42 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10226
:lol: The Nutty Purfessur :D

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:48 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 14215
My most dangerous weapon is the pommel of my dull practice sword.

Actually, the night table is even more dangerous if someone stands on the porch and I drop it on his head. The table's filled with stuff and is just the maximum weight I can quickly toss over the edge upstairs.

If I sharpened my longsword it would be a pretty decent zombie killing tool because it is just that even when it's blunt. You can literally get thousands of strong hits with it with next to no wear and I mean binding cuts against another guy's cut so that sparks come off.

Even as a blunt it suffices to crush a skull with ease and do serious damage - fully sharpened it will cut through not just the skull but extra parts. If I had proper technique I could cut the whole upper torso from neck to armpit with ease - though my technique isn't at this level.

Still, if I wanted to prepare for zombie apocalypse I'd get a L6 'tool machining steel' longsword and sharpen it with industrial tools. Yes, it would cost ~15,000$ I think or thereabouts but damn it would hold it's edge long and would be pretty much as close to unbreakable as you can get. The only downside is that when it some year loses some of it's edge you'll need some serious tools to sharpen it again at which point you can just fall back on a 'normal' high quality longsword.

The nice things about longswords include that the pommel and crossguard double as weapons in themselves and very potent ones at that, the blade has two sharp edges, great reach and tremendous cutting power and if need be you can also half sword with it for that extra penetration for thrusts.

Being surrounded by a ton of zombies with no swords of their own? Just throw a whirlwind of Meyer's rose / zwerchhau and you'll be cutting all over the place.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:32 am 
Sergeant

I did try to add some actual information to the discussion last night. After my usual patrol, I stopped in this spot and tried to see the boat at about 30 yards:

It was completely, absolutely invisible. I then tried to "see it" with various devices I own with the hope of taking a photo... needless to say it remained totally completely invisible. The sky last night was pretty much the same as in the photo.

The professor's mindless ramblings aside, I am intrigued by Wilkerson's statements because he is the resident expert. I would very much like to know if there is a device short of IR that might make that boat "visible".

To be honest I suspect that the majority of this disagreement has to do with terrain...Green country like this literally absorbs light. I can well imagine that out in the desert, or in a Kansas pasture on a full moon night there are many things that are visible with optics. But that is a result of the ambient light being high enough to "see things"... below that level there is nothing that will allow you to see things that are "invisible". IMO... I'm actually hoping Wilkerson proves me wrong.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:55 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10226
Kameolontti wrote:
My most dangerous weapon is the pommel of my dull practice sword.

. . . SNIP . . . my longsword it would be a pretty decent zombie killing tool because it is just that even when it's blunt. You can literally get thousands of strong hits with it with next to no wear and I mean binding cuts against another guy's cut so that sparks come off. . . .

Other than play fighting with trash can lids and sticks as a kid, I have no experience with such things.

However, I note that the Romans used gladii, a long thick "knife" and that they continued to do so even through centuries of conflict against myriad opponents.

I don't think the gladii can be blamed for the Fall of the Roman Empire, and had its administration and social order not be completely corrupted and rotten, I think the Romans might well have been able to prevail or even expand despite their short little swords.

Based on experience using machetes, I find that a blade slightly shorter, versus slightly longer is preferable . . .

I find my 18" (~45cm) Scott's titanium machete to be about right . . . maybe another 3cm would've been good . . .

I wish they would have made the tip slightly heavier too but overall, a decent Zoombie Apoc weapon.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:32 am 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
It was completely, absolutely invisible.

Haw! :lol: Take the lens caps off, Gen'rl Jackson!

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:22 pm 
Sergeant

It was pretty dark as nights go... I did not realize till I looked it up later that last quarter moonrise was not until 12 AM.... Stars were visible through the clouds.

I guess I could have posted a sign that said no cannibal attacks till after 12 AM... but I doubt they could have read it...

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:01 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15682
The way an IR transducer works is by passively detecting the IR radiation from objects in the environment. A hot boat motor would light up like Times Sqaure but once it cools down to ambient temperature it would be much more difficult to detect.

So called "starlight vision" is electronic amplification of natural visible light radiation reflected from surfaces in the field of view. This has become quite good now with up to 50,000 x amplification.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:57 pm 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
I find my 18" (~45cm) Scott's titanium machete to be about right . . . maybe another 3cm would've been good . . .

How well does that work as a machete? Have on occasion wanted a machete for lopping thin mesquite branches in dense terrain, but never found the generic things labeled machetes to have enough weight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 58  Next