maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zoombie Redoubts
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:00 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10789
Quote:
... you don't want to be hunting parts ..

Nope, you and your neighbors will be MAKING parts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:04 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11823
That's true. But in a genuine apocalypse where society collapses and massive deaths are in the offering... global warming disasters, nuclear wars, currency collapse, if you keep your M29 in good working order and stockpile a few parts it will get you through a year or two. That's enough to put you on the well prepared side of the survival column, and long enough that IF there's any reasonable shot at slow economic and social recovery you will have had time to find more parts or have made so many friends that you're in good shape.

If we're talking "no more fuel or industry for 50 years" then you need a sustainable population of mules and cattle.

For me the redoubt concept is for the unlikely what if. But the retirement part entails a working orchard and large parcel ... 40+ acres... of timberland.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:26 pm 
First Sergeant

Around here every third house hold has horses and every third household that has horses is a horse breeder ... so we have a sustainable population of horses. There are mules, but far less of them. There are lots of cattle.

But the sustainable population of horses and cattle, assuming only tiny amounts of fuel are available, will be MUCH less than what we can sustain now with mechanization. That said, this county could easily feed itself. But can this county of 8 people per square mile stave off the 2 million people from Kansas City (100 miles away) or the 100,000 people from Topeka (50 miles away) ?? Maybe we never find out. I doubt all those people will come this way. Many of them have never even heard of this place. When I go to the dentist, they have asked me where I live ... and I tell them the name of the county and they ask "where is that?" They have never heard of it. I consider that to be great !!!

We are more in your "retirement part" than in your "redoubt concept" ... though given the DPRK situation, the interest in beefing up the "redoubt part" is more active.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:09 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11823
The redoubt part of my plan comes in part from living in a state with low population, lots of rugged terrain, and really fricking cold weather in the winter. If there's a sudden catastrophe like nuclear war the place is defensible by blowing bridges. If it happens in winter migrants will further be stopped by the weather. No bridges = walkers. Zero degrees F = frozen things that formerly walked.

Finally, chosen redoubt area is 90 miles away from any large town and downwind of nothing for 300 miles. So it's way all Helengone from any strategic nuclear target. Low likelihood of fallout regardless of the season.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:22 pm 
First Sergeant

2017-10-17
2100-2200
50F
05 MPH WNW

Goals: Coop patrol ...

Environment: Weather last few nights has been fairly consistent ... during the time in question in the upper 40s to low 50s ... coolest temps in the mornings upper thirties to low 40s. Skies have been clear, stars in full bloom. Even with my eyes, I can make out the fuzz of Andromeda. No moon and I'm actually going out 1-3 times every night for the next 2 weeks to take advantage of the reduced moon period.

Equipment: 5.56(10.3) with 77gr FM(r), TEO Mk3 35mm, 2.5x, 640(60), Spartan 3, Primos 1-leg shooting stick. Helmet with pvs-14 and ODIN 17mm, 1x, 320(30). On some nights, I take the .22lr(16), on some the 5.56(10.3) ...

Activity: Walked all around the 5 acre "human area" which includes all 7 buildings, the chicken coop, the apple orchard, the creek running through the middle of it, with a foot bridge that I can walk across or drive the 4 wheeler across. There is also a wooded section. From the North edge of the Apple orchard I have 97% field of fire into the Alfalfa patch. From other positions in the 5 acre area, I also have fields of fire in to the West and South pastures. Field of fire to the East pasture is blocked by woods.
In the first pass, I saw one deer in the Apple orchard .. I mowed in there over the weekend and cut some of the apples on the ground and the critters can smell them, so I expect to see more critters in there over the next week. Deer not on my target list, so I took some stills with the TEO, but have been unable to download them.
On the second pass, I saw a critter, either coon or opossum, based on movement I figured an opossum at about 50yds distance in the apple orchard. I flipped the 14 and ODIN out (not up. Up would expose the rear ends of the nods to the critter and those are lite up, so do not want to do that. By flipping out, the rear ends still point to my rear and I can shoulder, aim and fire the carbine without touching the NODs. So given the distance estimate, I aimed dead center and the critter did not move further.

The hit was in the back of the neck.

When I fired, I heard a yote to the NW howl, but moving in the direction got no sighting. I did a third pass and saw a rat, but I don't usually go after rats with the 5.56, I save them for the .22LR.

Results/Summary: Each November, for the past 2 Novembers, since I've been doing "Coop patrol" ... there has been a period in November where the Coons and opossum are thick near the coop. I got 12 in a 2 week period in 2015 and 14 in a 2 week period in 2016. We will see what this year brings. Something about the change of season. The rats and mice also are much more active in November.

I will take the .22LR out tonight.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:11 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 7610
Those little furry forest creatures are trying to take their last chance to fatten up for the hard Kansas winter to come. Meanwhile have your written your dues renewal check to PETA yet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:43 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10477
nelmsm wrote:
Those little furry forest creatures are trying to take their last chance to fatten up for the hard Kansas winter to come. Meanwhile have your written your dues renewal check to PETA yet.

He's feeding the crows and other carrion eaters! :P

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:21 am 
First Sergeant

2017-10-22
2030-2200
40F
05 MPH SW

Goal: Coop Patrol

Environment: Cool and it will actually get below freezing for 2 nights mid-week, per the forecast ... and the wind is enough to feel cooler still. Wore balaklava, not acclimated yet. The stars were out, sky clear. No Moon.

Equipment: 5.56(10.3) 77gr FM(r), Mk3 35mm 2.5x 640(60).

Activity: Checked along the South bank of the creek, owl that lives in the woods on north bank hooted as per usual. Saw a large hot lump in the West pasture, hoped it was a sleeping cow. Looped around to the north across bridge, looked SW and verified hot lump was sleeping cow. Then entered apple orchard from the West. Saw critter at 50 yards, probable opossum, fired anchored, curly shuffle. Took pic.

Checked out the alfalfa patch, saw some rats, not on the agenda for tonight.
Heading East along our pasture road saw critter in tree at 200yds, probably Coon. Closed quickly moving through shadows near tree line. Got to position about 75yds, able to lean on bale, pushed 2xdigital (net 5x magnification). Shooting up into tree (100 foot hill behind tree for backstop) critter was oriented virtically, head on top rear on bottom, aimed at bottom, hit critter fell out of tree onto ground. Saw two pack rats while moving to spot where coon landed. Crossed fence into Turtle creek (still our land) took pic.

Summary/Results: Looks like we are moving towards the busy time. I kept the Mk3 on 2x about half the time, trying to get used to that if I upgrade the 35mm lens to 60mm ... 2x digital times the 2.5 optical is 5x net and that is a LOT of magnification at night. For long range scanning it is great, but for coop patrol even 2.5x is almost too much. Life is full of trade-offs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:07 am 
Oppressive Tyrant and Enemy of Truth

Reputation points: 14142

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:17 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15634
doggie wrote:

I think that Doggie has been triggered by your posts Wilkerson. :lol: :lol: :lol:

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 63  Next