Post subject: College in uproar over fried chicken and other foods
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:29 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
http://nypost.com/2015/12/18/pc-student ... d-chicken/

Quote:
Students at Lena Dunham’s college offended by lack of fried chicken

By Melkorka Licea and Laura Italiano December 18, 2015 | 2:13pm

Students at an ultra-liberal Ohio college are in an uproar over the fried chicken, sushi and Vietnamese sandwiches served in the school cafeterias, complaining the dishes are “insensitive” and “culturally inappropriate.”

Gastronomically correct students at Oberlin College — alma mater of Lena Dunham — are filling the school newspaper with complaints and demanding meetings with campus dining officials and even the college president.

General Tso’s chicken was made with steamed chicken instead of fried — which is not authentically Chinese, and simply “weird,” one student bellyached in the Oberlin Review.

Others were up in arms over banh mi Vietnamese sandwiches served with coleslaw instead of pickled vegetables, and on ciabatta bread, rather than the traditional French baguette.

“It was ridiculous,” gripes Diep Nguyen, a freshman who is a Vietnam native.

Worse, the sushi rice was undercooked in a way that was, according to one student, “disrespectful” of her culture. Tomoyo Joshi, a junior from Japan, was highly offended by this flagrant violation of her rice. “I f people not from that heritage take food, modify it and serve it as ‘authentic,’ it is appropriative,” she said.

Oberlin’s black student union joined in the fray this month by staging a protest outside Afrikan Heritage House, an on-campus dorm.

The cafeteria there wasn’t serving enough vegan and vegetarian options and had failed to make fried chicken a permanent feature on the Sunday night menu, the school newspaper reported.

Those students started a petition that also recommends the reduction of cream used in dishes, because “black American food doesn’t have much cream in it,” according to the Review.

The Nevada-based Universal Society of Hinduism joined the food fight last week after students discovered that the traditional Indian dish, tandoori, contained beef.

“Consuming beef was considered sacrilegious among Hindus,” blasted society president Rajan Zed, the Chronical-Telegram reported.

Campus dietitian Michele Gross told the Review this week the first meeting between college officials and dyspeptic students went well, and changes are being implemented to address all concerns.

:roll:

A Chinese student is upset about the rice in General Tso's chicken???
According to several different sources General Tso's chicken was invented in New York City... :lol:
New Yorkers should be offended at her trying to "steal" a New York delicacy...

African Americans upset about not enough fried chicken???
Wonder if the cafeteria also serves watermelon on their Sunday night menu?

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: College in uproar over fried chicken and other foods
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:35 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16552
When I saw the title I figured the students were complaining that "Fried Chicken" was "racist" ... I'm sure that will be next ... :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:13 am 
Sergeant Major

jwilkerson wrote:
When I saw the title I figured the students were complaining that "Fried Chicken" was "racist" ... I'm sure that will be next ... :D

Fried chicken is racist...until there is not enough of it, which is also racist.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:39 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 19875
Excuse me but it's the F****** student cafeteria. It's not F****** Spagos.

Netflix has a whole documentary on General Tso's chicken. They go around asking "Chinese" cooks where it came from and everyone has some bullshit story but they conclude it is an American invention just like chop suey

The Viet Cong thing is funny too. It's not authentic without a French baguette. :roll: Where does the stupid coed think the baguettes came from?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:41 am 
Sergeant Major

There is this expression "Freshman 15" which is about how much weight college Freshmen women gain when they have an all you can eat meal pass. :lol:

THAT'S the real reason the General Tso Chicken is not fried. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:21 am 
Sergeant Major

These kids at Oberlin College are spoiled rotten. When I went to college and lived in the dorms there was no "Sunday dinner" included in the mealpass. In fact, there was no Sunday lunch either.
There was one Sunday meal served from around 9:30am till around 1pm (Brunch for lack of a better term).
When you were hungry on Sunday evening you either cracked open a can of Campbell's soup or a packet of Ramen Noodles and warmed it up in your hot pot
(which looked something like this:

Or you used your landline telephone to call up Dominos and wait for your 30 minutes or less pizza.
(At University of Illinois we had another option. There was a locally owned pizza chain called "Papa Del's".
They had sit down locations and also did deliveries but they had a special delivery option called "Papa Del's Express" for around $7.50.

Their delivery trucks looked similar to this:

But inside the storage cabinets along the side they had built in warmer ovens.
So when they sent the delivery trucks out they would also load them up with boxed small sized deep dish sausage or pepperoni pizzas:
You could call up Papa Del's and tell them that you wanted an Express sausage or pepperoni and they would radio the nearest delivery truck which would divert to you and deliver you an Express. You could even flag down a passing by Papa Del's truck and buy an Express right there. I remember once ordering a pepperoni express and I had no sooner hung up the phone than I looked out the window and the Del's truck was just pulling up to the curb.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:51 am 
Sergeant Major

That's not authentic Italian. ;)

But that looks so damn good my jaws hurt from the drooling.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:44 pm 
Sergeant Major

jack t ripper wrote:
That's not authentic Italian. ;)

But that looks so damn good my jaws hurt from the drooling.

They were good, especially after a late night of drinking. Sometimes were would flag a truck down after we left the bars and would eat it as we were stumbling home. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:26 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 12189
Fucking college pussies. I'd close the cafeteria down and post someone outside to pass out MRE's for a few months and see how they like that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

nelmsm wrote:
Fucking college pussies. I'd close the cafeteria down and post someone outside to pass out MRE's for a few months and see how they like that.

I approve of this message!

Profile E-mail