It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Germany Tells France to Give UN Security Council Seat to EU
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:37 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2018/1 ... -brussels/

Quote:
EU Army Plans Advance as Germany Tells France to Give UN Security Council Seat to Brussels

29 Nov 2018

Germany has told France to give its permanent seat at the UN Security Council to the European Union so that the bloc can “speak with one voice” as it advances its defence plans.

German vice chancellor and finance minister Olaf Schloz made the proposal during a speech on the future of the EU in Berlin on Wednesday claiming it would be a “bold and smart goal,” reports The Brussels Times.

“If we are to take the European Union seriously, the EU should speak with one voice within the UN Security Council. In the medium term, France’s seat could be converted to a seat for the EU.”

He also acknowledged that “France and Germany are now acting together in this particular forum,” but an eventual seat for the bloc was necessary.

Noting that there was still a “significant effort of persuasion necessary in Paris,” Mr Scholz suggested that in exchange, France could be made “the permanent EU ambassador to the United Nations.”

After the UK leaves the bloc in March 2019, France will only be the only EU member state with the permanent seat on the UN Security Council.

The UK and France are joined by the U.S., Russia, and China with ten non-permanent members whose seats are up for election every two years.

If the EU were permitted to take France’s place, like the other four permanent members of the Security Council it would have the right to veto UN resolutions.

Continued at above link

Wonder how that might go over in Paris..... :lol:

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Germany Tells France to Give UN Security Council Seat to
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:52 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16211
Hey "E.U." . . . eat E. coli infected organic, GMO-free, Low-CO^2-footprint Brussel sprouts and die . . .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:56 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 10157
We must give the control of our nuclear weapons to the EU too. That would be a good idea.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:57 pm 
Sergeant Major

If France voluntarily gives up its permanent seat on the UN Security Council, that is their business.

It would be a one for one exchange---France stands up from the seat, EU sits down in it.
No additional party could be added to the UN Security Council.

I would have no objections....but since I do not live in Europe, that would be for France and the EU to work out.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:02 pm 
Sergeant Major

LaPalice wrote:
We must give the control of our nuclear weapons to the EU too. That would be a good idea.

You are TOO funny LaPalice.

I wonder what this man would say about that....

:lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:36 pm 
Sergeant Major

France did not need radars when De Gaulle was alive because his ears were so big.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:39 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16211
You know . . . actually I suspect it would be "illegal" in international law and treaty terms for France to "give" its Security Council seat to another polity. Not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is in fact the case.

UNLESS, France does in fact cede sovereignty to some other polity. Even then, the other Security Council members could agree that they do not recognize the transfer of the privilege to the new sovereign and simply "abolish" that seat.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:46 pm 
Sergeant Major

It would be a hoot to see all the member states arguing about what to do on every Security Council vote.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:03 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15802
More importantly, should this mean that no EU member state could, after such a change, hold one of the non-permanent positions on the UNSeC?

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:17 pm 
Sergeant Major

mdiehl wrote:
More importantly, should this mean that no EU member state could, after such a change, hold one of the non-permanent positions on the UNSeC?

I think that would be a valid point. They would be "double dipping".

I wonder if in the past if/how often it occurred that UNSEC had the Soviet Union AND either Ukraine or Byelorussia sitting on the UNSEC (Soviet Union as a permanent member and then one of the other two as rotating non-permanent members).

Quote:
Ultimately two Soviet Republics (Ukraine and Byelorussia) were admitted as full members of the UN, so between 1945 and 1991, the Soviet Union was represented by three seats in the United Nations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_Un ... _of_the_UN

Profile E-mail