Post subject: SF Bay Area Experiences Mass Exodus Of Residents
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:53 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/0 ... residents/

Quote:
San Francisco Bay Area Experiences Mass Exodus Of Residents

By Len RamirezFebruary 8, 2018 at 5:32 pm

SAN JOSE (KPIX 5) – The number of people packing up and moving out of the Bay Area just hit its highest level in more than a decade.

Carole Dabak spent 40 years living in San Jose and now she’s part of the mass exodus that is showing no signs of slowing down.

The retired engineer’s packing up and calling it quits about to move to the state of Tennessee.

“I loved it here when I first got here. I really loved it here. But it’s just not the same,” Dabak said.

Of course people come and go from the Bay Area all the time, but for the first time in a long time, more people are leaving the Bay Area than are coming in. And the number one place in the country for out-migration is now, right here.

Russell Hancock with Joint Venture Silicon Valley said, “Silicon Valley has been this place that is growing. And it was mostly growing because…people relocating here and relocating from other parts of the world. That’s changing.”

Joint Venture Silicon Valley’s own study of the out-migration says workers are moving to Sacramento, Austin, and Portland due to a number of factors. But topping the list is the high cost of housing.

“You can’t even contemplate getting into the housing market here,” Hancock said. “And I don’t mean just service workers, I mean highly skilled professionals. The tech elite are having a hard time affording reasonable housing in Silicon Valley. So this is difficult, this makes it very difficult for employers trying to recruit.”

Operators of a San Jose U-Haul business say one of their biggest problems is getting its rental moving vans back because so many are on a one-way ticket out of town.

Dabak cites crowding, crime and politics as the reasons for her own exodus.

“We don’t like it here anymore. You know, we don’t like this sanctuary state status and just the politics here,” she said.

She plans to sell her home for about $1 million, buy a much larger place near Nashville for less than half that and retire closer to family and friends.

Nationwide, the cities with the highest inflows, according to Redfin are Phoenix, Las Vegas, Atlanta, and Nashville.

Len Ramirez
Facebook
San Jose native Len Ramirez has been a news reporter for KPIX 5 News covering the Santa Clara County/South Bay Region since 1989. Prior to his arrival...

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: SF Bay Area Experiences Mass Exodus Of Residents
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:32 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
When a lady gets randomly shot & killed by an illegal immigrant, and he's protected by the local gov't officials, then it's probably time you thought about why you're living there.

The cost of living is just another nail in the coffin.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:44 pm 
Sergeant Major

Palo Alto is very nice. San Jose not so much considering the absolutely insane housing prices. It's also a long way to SF. Some really cool towns around there, however.

If people are leaving it is mostly about housing prices because the jobs there are red hot. It's been true in California for quite a while...you build up home equity...you retire...sell your house and take the equity and by a big ranch burger place somewhere else with cash and you escape the confiscatory state income taxes of Calif.

There are thousands of places where you can take 500K or even 1M and buy a place on 5 acres with peeler core logs and a 25 foot tall fireplace.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:51 pm 
Sergeant Major

As mentioned in the article...I give you Tennessee....200 acres..4600 sq foot home...1.1M :lol:

http://homeslandcountrypropertyforsale. ... hville-tn/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:01 pm 
Sergeant Major

If you don't mind McNairy County you take your 800 K in equity for a 2200 sq foot 45 year old house on 1/8th acre lot....buy this fantastic place on 18 acres for 369K and then buy a condo in Ft Meyers or Naples so you go down to the sun in the Winter with all the other q-tips. :lol:

http://homeslandcountrypropertyforsale. ... mini-farm/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:40 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18382
It's Myers, not Meyers, although I suspect you misspelled on purpose just to troll me.

If I had the money I'd move to Naples. Fort Myers is very nice too - but Naples, FL has less diversity if you know what I be sayin. Their police consider that some ppl might be... lost.. "We'll help get you back to where you belong." :lol:

This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:37 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 8243
Jesus Christ, no more snowbirds! The suncoast part from Sarasota to Naples is practically the Land of the Walking Dead due to all the damn geriatrics coming down here to die and endangering the locals with their wonderful lack of driving habits and skills.

And i seriously wonder if Ontario is completely depopulated right now. I went to Publix last week in Sarasota and I parked between two cars with Ontario tags. A third one pulled out of a parking spot right in front of me as I was walking in the store. It's insane.

The bedfellows politics made are never strange. It only seems that way to those who have not watched the courtship.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:14 am 
Sergeant Major

:lol:

That is so true. I was only there once but it did seem every 3rd person had an oxygen tank. :lol: I wonder what the ones too sick to travel look like?

So the Canadians actually DRIVE down to SW Florida through all the crappy weather? That's crazy. Why not get on a plane and rent a car?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:46 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 8243
jack t ripper wrote:
So the Canadians actually DRIVE down to SW Florida through all the crappy weather? That's crazy. Why not get on a plane and rent a car?

I'm assuming some do, yes. But I suspect those with "means" have their cars shipped down here ahead of time because I do see quite a few car haulers on the roads right before the time the Exodus arrives (October-November) and then again when the Exodus leaves (April-May). The snowbirds fly in, take a cab to where their car is, check out their car and proceed to become a menace to south Florida's interstate system.

The bedfellows politics made are never strange. It only seems that way to those who have not watched the courtship.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:54 pm 
Sergeant Major

Jeez I did not realize they stay that long. Doesn't anyone have a job up there?

Profile E-mail