Open all night
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Chicago
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:41 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
wulfir wrote:
Do people in America actually call Chichago "The Windy City"...

Yes, they do.

While Chicago does have days where the wind can get quite strong (the city does lie on the shores of Lake Michigan which can generate all sorts of weather patterns), legend is that the term "Windy City" has nothing to do with the weather.

You can find a summary of the origins of the term here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windy_City_(nickname)

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:53 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16336
In my limited experience, it is very windy there, as in actual gusts of wind which seem to get 'channeled' down between the buildings and produce some of the strongest gusts I've ever encountered. I don't recall ever being pushed backward by wind and stumbling not be be blown over any other place I've ever been.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:14 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
In my limited experience, it is very windy there, as in actual gusts of wind which seem to get 'channeled' down between the buildings and produce some of the strongest gusts I've ever encountered. I don't recall ever being pushed backward by wind and stumbling not be be blown over any other place I've ever been.

It certainly does get very windy in Chicago. The canyons created by the tall buildings downtown can do that. Lake Michigan also contributes to that.
When I was a kid we would go down to the lakefront and fly kites. There were many days where the weather was perfect for that. I remember one day that the wind was blowing out onto the lake. This guy had a large custom built kite. He had that kite so far out over the lake that you could barely see it. The guy flying it said that he had almost 2/3 of a mile of kite string out on it. Unfortunately the wind shifted at one point and the kite nosedived into the lake. A nearby boat that saw it go down actually retrieved it from the water and brought it ashore to the guy.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:19 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16336
We actually had winds like that in northwest Missouri too. There was a big field behind my house, used to be an old fair grounds. We used to fly a lot of kits there and I also had one up so high it was barely visible. Don't remember how much string I pieced together but it might well have been 3 to 5000 feet worth. The stick I wrapped it on was about the size of a basketball!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:20 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 10460
Bah, you guys want to see wind come to West Texas in the spring. That's when we use log chains as wind indicators.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:08 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
Illinois AG candidate robbed at gunpoint in Chicago during campaign photoshoot

A Democratic candidate running for Illinois attorney general was robbed at gunpoint Thursday during a campaign photoshoot in Chicago.

The Chicago Tribune reported that Aaron Goldstein, 42, and members of his campaign team were approached by three men in their early 20s. One of the men had a handgun and demanded Goldstein and the campaign aides turn over the camera equipment and other personal belongings, including their cell phones, which they did.

According to the Tribune, law enforcement sources confirmed that they had no one in custody and did not release a description of the suspects.

Goldstein’s campaign manager Robert Murphy, who was not with the candidate at the time, explained that he was taking promotional campaign photos with an “in-the-neighborhood kind of” message, according to the Tribune. The incident took place in Albany Park.

Murphy, a Chicago committeeman, told the Tribune that no one was harmed during the robbery, and that the campaign was assured by the police that the robbery was not a targeted act.

Goldstein, Murphy and campaign spokespeople did not respond to Fox News’ request for comment.

Goldstein's campaign Facebook page posted a link to the Tribune article, with the comment: "Thank you all for your concern, well wishes, thoughts and prayers. My team and I are all good."

Goldstein is running for attorney general to replace Lisa Madigan and is part of a crowded field of eight vying for the Democratic nomination.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01 ... shoot.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:46 pm 
Sergeant Major

Thanks for posting that.

I was not familiar with that candidate.

Albany Park, the neighborhood where that happened, is the neighborhood east of where my family lived during my upper teens through mid 20s. It was sort of iffy 30years ago.

Albany Park is one of the most (racially/ethnically) diverse neighborhoods in Chicago.

Those interested in more information about the neighborhood where that happened can read up on it here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albany_Park,_Chicago

Also, I checked out the Chicago Tribune article of this incident.

It said in part:

Quote:
Police described the three suspects as between 20 and 24 years old. They did not release a detailed description of the suspects.

With descriptions like that it’s no wonder that the Chicago Police Department has such a low rate of solving crimes. That descriptions narrows the pool of eligible perps to the low hundreds of thousands. :roll:

Profile E-mail