PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:54 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
EUBanana wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :? :D

http://heyjackass.com/

Sounds like an exciting city!

:lol:

Yeah, I stumbled onto that heyjackass.com website earlier this year.
They do track some interesting statistics.

I was born and grew up in Chicago until I was 26 years old (and then lived in a nearby suburb for another 9 years).
The city has changed since I grew up and lived there.
While Chicago will always have a place in my heart, I'm not sure that I would ever want to live within the city again (suburbs maybe but not the city).

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:07 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17050
chijohnaok wrote:
While Chicago will always have a place in my heart, I'm not sure that I would ever want to live within the city again (suburbs maybe but not the city).

Because of the crime rate?

Sounds a bit like Detroit. Mind you, I remember watching the Crow and thinking that city looked awesome and I'd love to live there.

Maybe not get shot there though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:11 pm 
Sergeant Major

EUBanana wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:

Because of the crime rate?

Sounds a bit like Detroit. Mind you, I remember watching the Crow and thinking that city looked awesome and I'd love to live there.

Maybe not get shot there though.

The crime rate is a contributing factor, but not the only reason.
Chicago (and Illinois) politicians continued to raise taxes, and provide fewer services.
The prior Mayor Richie Daley spent alot of money on aesthetic improvements:
(Millennium Park which is downtown

When Millenium Park was originally proposed, the total cost was estimated at around $150 million, and the Mayor promised that corporate and private donations would pay the majority of that cost. The final cost came in at more more than three times that ($475 million) and the city government paid for more than half the total cost ($270 million). Meanwhile, many roads in areas outside of downtown are crumbling and the city schools are a disaster. Many critics argue that the money would have been better spent on other things.

The city also spent quite a bit of money on road medians and planters in some of the other areas

While that looks nice, you have to remember that Chicago has long winters and those medians only look like that for maybe 5 months out of the year, and the plantings have to be replaced annually because of the winters.

Chicago is by no means Detroit. There are some run down pockets like you might see in some of Detroit but Chicago is by no means Detroit. Detroit has sections of its downtown areas (20 story skyscrapers) that are vacant, derelict and abandoned. You do not see that sort of thing in downtown Chicago.

The city government is fiscally irresponsible.
I've posted many examples in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6090&hilit=greece+lake+michigan

The city government has grossly underfunded its employee pension plans (well, over promised and underfunded).
Another example is the Chicago Skyway toll road system. The city owns an 8 mile long toll road connecting Chicago to Indiana. The city built and ran this roadway. It collected tolls on those who travelled it. Around 2005 the City entered into a financial deal where a private company leased the toll road for 99 years. This company would be responsible for maintenance and upkeep but would get to keep all the toll money. In exchange, the city received $1.8 billion. They were going to use about a third of that on capital improvements in the city (roads, schools, etc), use another third to pay off outstanding bonds on the roadway, and place the remaining third into a "trust fund" that was supposed the generate an income stream to replace the money it no longer collected in tolls. Well, within about 5 years after the deal started, the "trust fund" was gone--it had been spent on other pet projects and used to make up budget shortfalls. So essentially, the city had 94 more years to go without the revenue stream that it previously received from tolls on the Chicago Skyway.

Another example is when the city entered into a similar agreement where it did a leasing arrangement for a private company to run all city parking throughout the city (the city owns a number of auto parking facilities and much of the parking along city streets have parking meters that must be fed lest you receive a parking ticket.

This parking deal was ramrodded through the Chicago City Council by Mayor Daley without them having had a chance to even read the agreement.
Within about a year or two into this agreement, parking rates were increased (in some areas quite significantly). People complained and the City government acted as if they were surprised by the increases. Well it turns out the agreement clearly spelled out limits to fee increases during the first years of the agreement. The company running it made its increases within the terms of the agreement. The City Aldermen (who make up the City Council) plead ignorance at this (because they had approved the deal without bothering to read it). And Mayor Daley, who orchestrated the deal, was out of office by point.

Chicago is a great city to visit. There are many things to do there, "touristy" and otherwise. And provided that you are smart about where you go and what time of day you go there, you should generally be safe. But I would not want to be a homeowner/taxpayer in Chicago, and would never want a child of mine attending a public (government run) school in Chicago.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:37 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16211
I proposed to my wife in the Natural History Museum in Chicago ;) Figured it would always be there for us to go back to if we wanted. Course since Illinois doesn't have a policy of recognizing Georgia conceal carry permits, not so sure we ever will ! :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:18 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 12088
Awesome Geek story!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
I proposed to my wife in the Natural History Museum in Chicago ;) Figured it would always be there for us to go back to if we wanted. Course since Illinois doesn't have a policy of recognizing Georgia conceal carry permits, not so sure we ever will ! :mrgreen:

The Field Museum of Natural History is an awesome place to visit. I've been there many times.
Once while I was back up for the Christmas holidays I took my nieces there for a visit. They were around 7-8 years old at the time. We spent the whole day there and had tons of fun looking at the various exhibits.

When I was around 10 years old I remember seeing the King Tut exhibit there which was on a tour of the U.S. That was also a great exhibit.

If you want to get a good look at all the exhibits you need more than just a day there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:27 am 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 5420
Do people in America actually call Chichago "The Windy City"...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:03 am 
Sergeant Major

wulfir wrote:

No, LA is now the windy city because of all the frijoles.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:36 am 
Sergeant Major

jack t ripper wrote:
wulfir wrote:

No, LA is now the windy city because of all the frijoles.

:lol:

Profile E-mail