Open all night
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Council for Mass Media in Finland reprimands YLE
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:34 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 16550
https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-10209996

YLE journalist had been criticized by a twitter user who exaggerated and used satirical notions towards the journalist.

The journalist contacted the twitter user's (according to JSN - the Council, a "member of public") employer and demanded that the employer to bring up harassment with the worker in question.

In addition to this she wrote a lengthy column defending her actions and exaggerating the extent and nature of the tweets of the easily identifiable "member of public" while also making the person in question known while doing so and accused him of harassment etc.

According to JSN the journalist acted "in self interest to punish" the member of public and that the member of public and that such incidents owed to reducing the sensation of freedom of speech.

YLE was not held responsible for the journalist contacting the employer but was found to be responsible for publishing the punishing article by the journalist in which she engaged in mudslinging while defending her own actions unilaterally in a case where she had already attacked the member of public by contacting his employer. (she was now reacting to his blog where he complained about her trying to get him fired)

JSN noted that "self interest does not limit itself to financial gain" and that she was further attacking and stigmatizing a member of public she had earlier mistreated by contacting his employer.

YLE was also forced to publish this resolution by JSN towards their conduct.

They also noted that the harassment of journalists is a serious problem but oversights such as this only make it harder to address the actual problem.

The case was not brought to JSN by the injured party.

I suppose someone in Finland still cares about freedom of speech and professional ethics of journalists.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Council for Mass Media in Finland reprimands YLE
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:29 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 12874
Interesting . . .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:59 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 17177
Steady trend of the authoritarian left harassing their critics' employers in an attempt to get them fired.

This behavior has been enabled by political correctness. Specifically how PC culture has bullied and intimidated businesses into doing whatever the PC priests demand, over the years.

They've taken political advantage of the motto, "the customer is always right", and exploited it with their crybullying for so long that they have most companies trained to jump when they tell them to. Now this pliancy is being used by the regressive ProgTrogs for indirect attacks against those who don't agree with their social engineering.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:09 pm 

She as a public figure, blogger and journalist felt that a tweeter who was doing satirical tweets in which her name was mentioned from time to time "felt like serious harassment".

Guess what - if you try to make your living by being a public figure telling other people how to think (which is what she is all about) then people are eventually going to try and make fun of you.

In which case the obvious course of action is not to say "haha, a good one, yes I have some self irony too" but to single out targets, try to get them fired and have the national broadcasting's news team publish lengthy articles that amount to discrediting and attacking the person who she is already trying to get fired so that if that succeeds his life will be ruined for making a tweet that she didn't like.

I never got how people who chose to work their asses off to become celebrities fully knowing what it would be like somehow after being rewarded with huge incomes suddenly become all picky and start acting as if they were above all criticism and that somehow they no longer were celebrities but after having cashed out they'd like to return to be private people except whenever they feel they have a message they need to share such as what other people should think after which they should immediately be again above criticism and treated as if they were never celebrities to begin with.

A lot of politicians are like that too as of late. As in "I will reduce the unemployment benefits by 10% and I will remove support for buying medicines and if someone gets mad about it I want him locked up in jail for daring to express anger or resentment over my decision".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:07 pm 
Sergeant Major

Another reason not to tweet, or face the book, or otherwise engage in any form of non-confidential social media. The idea of people interacting on the Internet in massive networks where there real names and identities are freely shared was never really a good idea I think.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:29 am 

Anthropoid wrote:
Another reason not to tweet, or face the book, or otherwise engage in any form of non-confidential social media. The idea of people interacting on the Internet in massive networks where there real names and identities are freely shared was never really a good idea I think.

The problem comes from people with real names interacting with completely anonymous crowds.

It's like going to a bar only to discover that 95% of the patrons are wearing masks to conceal identity. And then a fight breaks out...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:42 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 19649
Kameolontti wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:

The problem comes from people with real names interacting with completely anonymous crowds.

It's like going to a bar only to discover that 95% of the patrons are wearing masks to conceal identity. And then a fight breaks out...

Valid point.

The only social media where I use my actual legal name is Facebook and Twitter (and I don't think that I have ever actually sent a Tweet).
I have my real name on LinkenIn (for work and business purposes).

All other internet sites that I visit or post to are under a pseudonym.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:10 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1612
It is interesting how foreigners participate in a topic they know nothing about.

The JSN (Council for Mass Media) does keep high standard of Finnish journalism. It is notable who are not in JSN, Fox and Suomen Uutiset (rag of the Persu party). Though Fox was a member, but seceded 2015; but does not do anything else than show American telenovelas.

Talk about Lügenpresse. :roll:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:23 am 
Sergeant Major

Kameolontti wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:

Possibly true, but the "cause" once again reverts back to what I said.

Unless you can propose a way by which "people interacting on the Internet in massive networks where there real names and identities are freely shared" is facilitated while simultaneously those who would wear the "black masks" are prevented from interacting in anyway--including simply accessing the information and acting on it in some way.

If anyone is representing themselves in a fully disclosed way, then they are more vulnerable than if they are withholding enough information to make learning the actual details of their identity more involved than simply reading the text and clicking a link.

Obviously there is no real "anonymity" anywhere, or at any time. But there are degrees of confidientiality and making the Internet "Real Life" safe was never going to be a success story; not unless we want to accept a degree of centralized oversight over our telecommunications that would far exceed even that which police states like China exert.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:36 am 

nero wrote:
It is interesting how foreigners participate in a topic they know nothing about.

It is interesting, isn't it, interesting? Why would any foreigner do that, participate in a topic they know nothing about or even just revert to trolling? Truly baffling and interesting.

nero wrote:
The JSN (Council for Mass Media) does keep high standard of Finnish journalism. It is notable who are not in JSN, Fox and Suomen Uutiset (rag of the Persu party). Though Fox was a member, but seceded 2015; but does not do anything else than show American telenovelas.

Talk about Lügenpresse. :roll:

Only actions matter and JSN showed by it's actions that it continues to keep up the high standards of media as it's mission is stated to be.

This on the other does not mean that journalists can't spin their stories however they want and in fact the JSN verdict specifically mentions that journalists *can* name and tag things as they please - even when they choose to speak of "alleged pro-Russian involvement in Crimea" when talking about Russian armed forces storming in and conquering the place as they did.

Where were the high standards when they kept saying "alleged pro-Russians" over a year after Russians had annexed Crimea after their invasion or when YLE and others dug up Alexander Institute "experts" to convince the populace
"What should people think?"
-"Russia has absolutely no interests in a conflict or in Crimea and they would never do such a thing. This must be something else" (shortly after Russian army was holding Ukraine's Crimean parliament at gunpoint and forcing them to vote to join Russia)

Profile E-mail