Welcome to Sweden

The rules: No spamming, no making a nuisance of yourself.

Moderators: chijohnaok, Kameolontti

nero
Sergeant Major

Re: Welcome to Sweden

#2371 Post by nero » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:30 pm

Mac wrote:
EUBanana wrote:
The English are excellent teachers. Which is why everybody speaks English.

8-)
:lol:
English is a mongrel language. ;)

And that's why the pronunciation is often surprising. Even in English language.

For example letter 'i' is pronounced differently in words 'time' and 'timid'. Isn't that silly? :roll:
A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses. -- Carlo M. Cipolla

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens. -- Friedrich Schiller

Mac
First Sergeant

#2372 Post by Mac » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:40 pm

nero wrote:And that's why the pronunciation is often surprising. Even in English language.

For example letter 'i' is pronounced differently in words 'time' and 'timid'. Isn't that silly? :roll:
We made it like that on purpose nero just so we could have a good laugh at you foreigners trying to speak it. It's fucking genius. ;)

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution
I could be an inmate in a long-term institution
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die
I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

nero
Sergeant Major

#2373 Post by nero » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:50 pm

Mac wrote:
nero wrote:And that's why the pronunciation is often surprising. Even in English language.

We made it like that on purpose nero just so we could have a good laugh at you foreigners trying to speak it. It's fucking genius. ;)

More examples to prove that English language pronunciation is highly irregular. :lol:

Especially when snobs try to pronounce Latin.

For example Caesar.

When it is really

Ignorance is bliss, NOT. It just ignorance and shameful.
A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses. -- Carlo M. Cipolla

Mac
First Sergeant

#2374 Post by Mac » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:59 pm

Who gives a toss about how to pronounce a dead language other than doctors, botanists and lawyers? And why do you envy our linguistic superiority so much?
What a waste...

Mac
First Sergeant

#2375 Post by Mac » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:07 pm

I bet you are the kind of spastic who thinks Welsh was a good idea nero.

What a waste...

nero
Sergeant Major

#2376 Post by nero » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:22 pm

And how about this.

I got 14/15. I had no idea what scoffed means. :(

nero
Sergeant Major

#2377 Post by nero » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:26 pm

Mac wrote:Who gives a toss about how to pronounce a dead language other than doctors, botanists and lawyers? And why do you envy our linguistic superiority so much?
But how do you pronounce Roma, the capital of Italia. Ah, you even write the names wrong, not to mention the pronunciation. :shock:

Anthropoid
Sergeant Major
Location: marching home to [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAzVYCs4BMY]Erica[/url]

#2378 Post by Anthropoid » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:29 pm

English is a slutty language. She has been letting all the other dirty little languages under her skirts, and poking their morphemes into her grammatical clauses for literally centuries. She naturally tends toward homonyms, and her penchant for breaking rules makes her a true conundrum lover; in effect, she makes all her own rules and if you don't like them you can just fuck off. The other despicable thing about English is that she is so fucking fickle, she knows what she likes and unless you've been up her twat your whole life, you are left guessing on subtle things like word order. The two clauses: “an interesting little book” and “a little interesting book” might be technically grammatically correct, but every lifetime servant of the English slut knows she feels that one 'just sounds better,' and the other sounds retarded. This is to say almost nothing of pronunciation inconsistencies, the enigma's of how to properly place emphasis in spoken English, and homophones, idioms and unequal "synonyms." Sprinkle in a fair bit of archaic terminology and even some grammar, and a plethora of regional dialects and you've got the sluttiest, most fickle, hard to please, but titillatingly HOT language you will ever try to seduce and master! Some of us have been giving it our best for 50+ years and still have not fully subdued the wench! Even playboys like Tolkien probably didn't get her fully under his spell . . . and that is saying a lot for a Professor of Linguistics who was proficient in Middle and Old English too.

wulfir
Staff Sergeant

#2379 Post by wulfir » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:51 am

mdiehl wrote:Wow. You named your spawn after the 18th century's version of Napoleon Bonaparte? I hope he forgives you one day.
Actually, he was named after my wife's grandfather who happened to be a full blood, born and raised Norwegian - (who ended up in Canada after his merchant ship was sunk by a mine off of Nova Scotia).

mdiehl brain melt in progress...

nelmsm
Staff Sergeant
Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here

#2380 Post by nelmsm » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:33 am

EUBanana wrote:
nero wrote:The other thing was that we Finns are so linguistically untalented that we didn't learn to speak Swedish in 600 years. In that respect the Irish are very talented. ;)
The English are excellent teachers. Which is why everybody speaks English.

8-)
No, it's just that everyone in the world were better learners then the Finns.
Texas, where we have the death penalty and aren't afraid to use it! Build the wall!!