maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 987 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 99  Next
 Post subject: Re: Welcome to Sweden
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:34 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 14634
Kameolontti wrote:
I once asked an American "from where in UK are you from?" and he said "Oregon, US". If I remember correctly, could be a whole different state. Some American dialects are quite close to British.

Naaa!

It's just that some other Europeans, who learn English as a second language, tend to sound like they are using an American accent instead of a British one. Despite supposedly learning it with a Brit accent.

Think I saw a vid from a German guy about this regarding how his British buddies were asking him why he spoke with more of an American English accent. :lol: Said he had always thought he was learning the British one when in school. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:08 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11823
I lived in halls at uni with this Norwegian chick, among others, who was an absolute terror, she must have been in the military or something. She wanted iron discipline out of everybody. My slovenly self did not react well to this.

Anyway. She had a REALLY STRONG American accent. Which just added to the whole drill instructor / Full Metal Jacket ambiance...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:37 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 15171
NefariousKoel wrote:
Kameolontti wrote:
I once asked an American "from where in UK are you from?" and he said "Oregon, US". If I remember correctly, could be a whole different state. Some American dialects are quite close to British.

Naaa!

It's just that some other Europeans, who learn English as a second language, tend to sound like they are using an American accent instead of a British one. Despite supposedly learning it with a Brit accent.

Think I saw a vid from a German guy about this regarding how his British buddies were asking him why he spoke with more of an American English accent. :lol: Said he had always thought he was learning the British one when in school. :lol: :lol:

We used to have a rule at schools that you had to pick either UK or US grammar rules and be consistent with them through your essays.

Now it's dropped, finally. It was bollocks bollocks bollocks. The purpose of a language is to facilitate communications instead of acting as a platform for grammar Nazis. The old school English teachers typically were huge UK fanboys with the appropriate anti-American sentiment.

I like my accent with the east European hard 'r'. Americans comment that with the combination of trying to use proper language and the hard r I end up sounding like Count Dracula, formal and correct but with east European twist. Mu ha haaa. YouRRe all welkkom to stay fo de nighkt...

EUBanana wrote:
I lived in halls at uni with this Norwegian chick, among others, who was an absolute terror, she must have been in the military or something. She wanted iron discipline out of everybody. My slovenly self did not react well to this.

Anyway. She had a REALLY STRONG American accent. Which just added to the whole drill instructor / Full Metal Jacket ambiance...

...and? It's almost as if this movie cut after the first 30 minutes. So, you were studying biology and she had been this moody and over the top drill sergeant and had a dislike to you but you had helped her out the other day and it was raining and...

It would also be a whole lot more believable with pictures and video.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:44 am 
Sergeant Major

:lol:

She was pretty hot actually. Blonde. I thought I was sharing halls wih Young Ann Coulter or something, she kinda looked like that. And sounded like that.

But whoever the hell she is or looks like, I'm not doing everybodys' washing up on Thursday night just because she assigned me to that chore on that day. I didn't do washing up at uni, my own or other peoples. Paper plates all the way, work smarter not harder. It was a halls not a barracks.

She was kinda surprised when I flat out refused. I guess not many people in her life told her to take a hike.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:36 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10688
Appurunhtlee wey Muricuns sawnd retardit ta tha resta th whirld

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:05 am 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 3780
Anthropoid wrote:
Appurunhtlee wey Muricuns sawnd retardit ta tha resta th whirld

Must be it, our retardation must also be why the third world is trying to get here en masse.....

I do sometimes wonder if there might be a tipping point wherein some third world shithole like say Venezuela empties itself getting here so we can escape the democrats and start over somehwere.....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:27 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10688
We Muricans have a good bit of dialectic variability. I've posted a few viddies on the topic in the past. The most extreme varieties tend to be fairly small in number and geographically restricted, but literally: there are a few places in the country where even someone from the same region will not be able to understand.

I've spent much of my life in the Midwest and South, so you'd think any "southern" dialect I'd have no problem with. But more than once in rural Tennessee and rural Alabama, while on caving trips and chatting with local folks, I have literally been unable to understand much more than about one word.

This dynamic seems to be even more heightened in Britain though, as there (based on my experience, as well as some claims I've heard) one can travel only a few miles from one village / county to the next and find huge dialectic differences.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:09 am 
Sergeant Major

Yeah, I moved from Devon to Somerset, all of 30 odd miles, and the Slovak missus noticed the different accents straight away... still yokel, but a different sort of yokel. Less pirate and more farmer I guess!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:13 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 11164
<<we can escape the democrats and start over somehwere ... >>

Ah, from the Earth to the Moon !!!

Not in my life-time ... but have a good'un !!!
:)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:17 am 
Sergeant Major

Also I wanna visit the American south at some point. Sounds awesome.

Metal concerts on the arctic circle has been done, the bucket list needs something new.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 987 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 99  Next