maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tolerance and free speech
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:51 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 932
Anthropoid wrote:
Some hints of some Executive action to provoke some changes in how social media platforms get to shut down some viewpoints and favor others.

My view of this is quite simple: If a firm seeks to be "not held liable" for the speech on their sites, then they need to keep absolutely OUT of it, short of preventing explicitly illegal communications.

If something is NOT explicitly ILLEGAL, it should NOT BE CENSORED, no matter how ignorant, repellant, objectionable, hateful, or grotesque it might be.

Obviously, we can apply additional layers of restriction as they pertain to civility, suitability for work environments, youth, etc., and I don't mean to suggest that a site owner should be incapable of MODERATING. Having rules which impose civil behavior is fine, but that is not the same thing as censorship. 95% of the "Conservatives" who have been deplatformed have not been deplatformed for explicit breaches of propriety, civility or specific rules. They were deplatformed because their worldviews were deemed dangerous by people who disagreed with them.

I don't think that this Führerbefehl will come true. It is like a publishing company is required to publish anything that is not illegal. I think there are some constitutional issues with that. But perhaps the God Emperor thinks that the Supreme Court is in his pocket. :roll:

Anyway there are other platforms the right-wingers to publish their shit on like Gab.

Go Gab alt-righter. ;)

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:03 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 19776
nero wrote:
I don't think that this Führerbefehl will come true. It is like a publishing company is required to publish anything that is not illegal. I think there are some constitutional issues with that. But perhaps the God Emperor thinks that the Supreme Court is in his pocket. :roll:

Publishing companies aren't given immunity to lawsuits by the government.

BzzT. Try again.

Their gov't-backed protections is why these megatech corporations are under fire. I think they should not only have their immunity pulled, if they're going to play favorites, but also any of their subsidization and other special treatment from the gov't.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:17 pm 
Sergeant Major

NefariousKoel wrote:
nero wrote:

Publishing companies aren't given immunity to lawsuits by the government.

BzzT. Try again.

Their gov't-backed protections is why these megatech corporations are under fire. I think they should not only have their immunity pulled, if they're going to play favorites, but also any of their subsidization and other special treatment from the gov't.

No immunity of course, but who talking about immunity? The publishing companies are working in the limits of the existing laws.

The government can not decide what publishing companies publish, at least in democracy. But it is different in Russia, China and other non-democratic countries.

But is that really what you want? Government deciding what publishers publish, without a legal bases. :shock:

It is a slippery slope. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:37 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 12064
The social media companies aren't considered publishers and are treated differently, including immunity from lawsuits. Declaring them publishers would open them up to such lawsuits since their government protections would be removed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:28 pm 
Sergeant Major

nelmsm wrote:
The social media companies aren't considered publishers and are treated differently, including immunity from lawsuits. Declaring them publishers would open them up to such lawsuits since their government protections would be removed.

That is true. The fear of lawsuits prevents them to be as publishers. ;)

But I don't think that Trump can by diktat decide what the social media companies allow and not. There should be legislation.

So it goes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:10 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18312
nero wrote:
nelmsm wrote:

But I don't think that Trump can by diktat decide what the social media companies allow and not. There should be legislation.

So it goes.

Your stupidity is simultaneously breathtaking and painful to behold. It is like you intend to be stupid from the outset, simply because you MUST disagree with Orange Man. Even worse, you are a representative of hundreds of thousands of dolts globally . . . :(

Please do carry on . . .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:13 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
nero wrote:

So it goes.

Your stupidity is simultaneously breathtaking and painful to behold. It is like you intend to be stupid from the outset, simply because you MUST disagree with Orange Man. Even worse, you are a representative of hundreds of thousands of dolts globally . . . :(

Please do carry on . . .

If you find legalistic and constitutional view stupid, you have a problem. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:17 pm 
Sergeant Major

Quote:

I'm arguing for complete 1st Amendment Freedom. Explain to me how that is less constitutional than allowing firms to de-platform people based on their LEGAL views and communications?

You are a fucking Commie scum bag piece of shit, and you know it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:25 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
Quote:

I'm arguing for complete 1st Amendment Freedom. Explain to me how that is less constitutional than allowing firms to de-platform people based on their LEGAL views and communications?

You are a fucking Commie scum bag piece of shit, and you know it.

1st amendment does not apply everywhere. A paper does not have to publish "a letter to the editor" opinions. ;)

Try make a law mandating that, but it would be unconstitutional. Trump's execute order even more so.

And I am not a commie at all, and I am here to irritate you.

Go mad. :lol:

Or better still, put me on ignore again. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:27 pm 
Sergeant Major

nero wrote:

Try make a law mandating that, but it would be unconstitutional. Trump's execute order even more so.

And I am not a commie at all, and I am here to irritate you.

Go mad. :lol:

Or better still, put me on ignore again. ;)

The fact you are convinced you are a Commie does not mean you are not a Commie; the fact you think you irritate does not mean you irritate ;)

I dare YOU to put ME on ignore. Then you won't know what I say about you though, and that is frightening isn't it? :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89  Next