maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tolerance and free speech
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:10 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/10/ ... -civility/

Quote:
‘THE GOOD CENSOR’: Leaked Google Briefing Admits Abandonment of Free Speech for ‘Safety And Civility’

An internal company briefing produced by Google and leaked exclusively to Breitbart News argues that due to a variety of factors, including the election of President Trump, the “American tradition” of free speech on the internet is no longer viable.

Despite leaked video footage showing top executives declaring their intention to ensure that the rise of Trump and the populist movement is just a “blip” in history, Google has repeatedly denied that the political bias of its employees filter into its products.

But the 85-page briefing, titled “The Good Censor,” admits that Google and other tech platforms now “control the majority of online conversations” and have undertaken a “shift towards censorship” in response to unwelcome political events around the world.

Examples cited in the document include the 2016 election and the rise of Alternative for Deutschland (AfD) in Germany.

Responding to the leak, an official Google source said the document should be considered internal research, and not an official company position.

The briefing labels the ideal of unfettered free speech on the internet a “utopian narrative” that has been “undermined” by recent global events as well as “bad behavior” on the part of users. It can be read in full below.

It acknowledges that major tech platforms, including Google, Facebook and Twitter initially promised free speech to consumers. “This free speech ideal was instilled in the DNA of the Silicon Valley startups that now control the majority of our online conversations,” says the document.

A longer article with multiple screenshots at the above link.

A link to the internal Google document:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3905216 ... from_embed

This is very concerning.
Google is an American company, founded and headquartered in the United States.
They are apparently ready to abandon the "American tradition" of free speech for the European tradition.

Fuck that, and fuck Google.

I am not a big fan of Bing.
Any suggestions for a good search engine (outside of Google and Bing)?

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:05 am 
Sergeant Major

Google Prime had a security flaw noted in May and they didn't tell their customers because they claimed they detected no loss of data.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:15 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15595
As far as I can tell "Duck Duck Go," the vaunted "no interference, no tracking" alternative: uses Google :P

By which I mean: searches conducted on the two sites tend to result in almost identical result configurations. It is clear that Duck Duck Go doesn't implement ALL of google's features and functionality: e.g., the "Advanced Google Search" features do not seem to have an analog in DDG, and it may well be that whatever "tracking" Google does is to some extent thwarted by using DDG.

I'm no expert on such things, but I'll just be completely honest about my opinion: (1) I wouldn't worry about it; (2) I would do like Anthrostradamus, and set your home page to Google Advanced Search https://www.google.com/advanced_search Do not ever use Google search. Use Google Advanced Search. My reason for suggesting this is: I suspect 95% of users globally do not use Advanced Search so any "tampering" or "meddling" Google does is likely not focused on implementation in the advanced search portions of their code. For one thing, it is not the "low hanging fruit" if they want to maximize influence to effort ratio. For another, once you include boolean their capacity to write coherent tampering algorithms will be much reduced. I find that what I come up with on the Internet seems to be pretty superficially unbiased.

Their tracking features are a different matter, but in truth, almost everyone is "tracking." If you visit a site that is adhering to European Union law at this point, then yes you are being "tracked." It only makes sense tbh that all IP addresses are recorded, because who knows which ones of those IP addresses are in fact being used by terrorists or other criminals. Keeping records for at least a while is wise in order to be able to untangle criminal conspiracies.

If you are really worried about being tracked, then just subscribe to Hidester and use a VPN anytime you surf the web. It is not perfect anonymity, you can still be traced back, but it at least provides a superficial level of anonymity that will thwart most tracking efforts like those Google (or any firm) might be engaging in. Personally, I don't really see a big deal in being "tracked," and in indeed there are benefits: not having to continually retype username pw for example, and in the case of YT, their algorithms do a fine job of suggesting stuff to me which does not in anyway reflect any sort of SJW or anti-Trump bias.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:14 am 
Sergeant Major

No doubt Google is tracking me. I searched "Alfa Romeo pre-owned" and now there are Alfa Romeo ads following me everywhere. They replaced the built in fridge ads.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:29 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15925
jack t ripper wrote:
I searched "Alfa Romeo pre-owned"

Oh dear...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:32 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14927
Your best weapon is disinformation. Occasionally search for improbable stuff that you will never purchase. Lie about your age, ethnicity, birth locale... Safeway thinks I am an 87 year old black woman from Mississippi. "Like" on facebook a New Zealand rugby club you've never seen. Google a recipe for tofu guacamole, etc.

Its fun and scrambles their eggs quite thoroughly.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:50 am 
Sergeant Major

mdiehl wrote:
Your best weapon is disinformation. Occasionally search for improbable stuff that you will never purchase. Lie about your age, ethnicity, birth locale... Safeway thinks I am an 87 year old black woman from Mississippi. "Like" on facebook a New Zealand rugby club you've never seen. Google a recipe for tofu guacamole, etc.

:P That's it!

Don't fear the system; RIP! the system!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:52 am 
Sergeant Major

EUBanana wrote:
jack t ripper wrote:
I searched "Alfa Romeo pre-owned"

Oh dear...

"Alfa have designed a car to be the BEST that it can possibly be.....briefly" :lol: :lol:

Absoutely hilarious episode.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:57 am 
Sergeant Major

mdiehl wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Pandora keeps interrupting Tom Petty with ads for "male enhancement products" and joint replacements.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:01 am 
Sergeant Major

jack t ripper wrote:
No doubt Google is tracking me. I searched "Alfa Romeo pre-owned" and now there are Alfa Romeo ads following me everywhere. They replaced the built in fridge ads.

My wife, who is a web person and a marketing person refuses to use this, but I use it constantly and I NEVER see ANY ads, unless they are actually written into a particular pages html (e.g., http://lara-croft-tomb-raider.wikia.com/wiki/Lara_Croft look over on the right side: a whole column of ads which ad blocker cannot detect because as far as ad blocker is concerned, they are just part of the pages html) or they are presented directly through the video/audio the page contains (e.g., if Pewdiepie gives a plug to which ever product is sponsoring him . . .).

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... b?hl=en-US

Apart from that, the internet is an advertising free zone for me and here is the irony: its a CHROME plugin!

Why would Google, a firm which clearly makes its bread and butter by facilitating people getting exposed to advertising provide a free ad-blocking plugin for their web-browser? Not entirely sure but it could be the same principle I was pointing out before about Google Advanced Search. 95% of users don't even know that an "ad block" plugin is even a thing much less how to get it and and install it (which is like . . . 5 clicks in total). BUT, a certain segment of users are going to INSIST on something like an adblock and Google may be savvy enough to realize: if we do NOT Provide such functionality, then those users might well (a) use another browser; (b) write their own ad-blocker anyway; or (c) cause us undue problems in some other way.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next