maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tolerance and free speech
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:13 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1209
I don't know much about Tommy Robinson, but if he is nutter like Alex Jones, then I don't want to know anything about Tommy Robinson. I will piss towards his general direction. :twisted:

A faggot alright, that happens when one is associated with the Kinks. :roll:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:42 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 12978
chijohnaok wrote:
chijohnaok
1 second ago
I generally enjoy Dr. Turley's videos. I generally agree with his comments in the video. The kangaroo court trial and imprisonment of Tommy Robinson was not right. I also believe that the near simultaneous banning by 4 social media sites of Alex Jones was overboard. I do take issue with the title "The Alex Jones Purge is Tommy Robinson Part 2!!!" of your video. I would not equate the Alex Jones ban with what happened to Tommy Robinson. Robinson was railroaded in the courts; he was imprisoned; and his treatment in prison was also ridiculous. The two events (Jones ban and Robinson imprisonment) do not equate with one another.
Different strokes for different folks. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:46 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1209
abradley wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:
chijohnaok
1 second ago
I generally enjoy Dr. Turley's videos. I generally agree with his comments in the video. The kangaroo court trial and imprisonment of Tommy Robinson was not right. I also believe that the near simultaneous banning by 4 social media sites of Alex Jones was overboard. I do take issue with the title "The Alex Jones Purge is Tommy Robinson Part 2!!!" of your video. I would not equate the Alex Jones ban with what happened to Tommy Robinson. Robinson was railroaded in the courts; he was imprisoned; and his treatment in prison was also ridiculous. The two events (Jones ban and Robinson imprisonment) do not equate with one another.
Different strokes for different folks. ;)

And you think idiot Alex Jones is worth defending, for freedom speech. In this case I agree that there should be stronger libel laws in the US. :twisted:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:01 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Quote:
And you think idiot Alex Jones is worth defending, for freedom speech. In this case I agree that there should be stronger libel laws in the US. :twisted:

Nero, it is not a matter of defending WHAT Alex Jones is saying.
When you defend free speech you are NOT defending the person's message.
You are defending their right to say it.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:35 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 12978
chijohnaok wrote:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14927
chijohnaok wrote:

Sneero has a really difficult time grasping the concept of "rights."

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:52 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 8277
nero wrote:
And you think idiot Alex Jones is worth defending, for freedom speech. In this case I agree that there should be stronger libel laws in the US.

Indeed, free speech has nothing to do with the message and everything to do with the right to say what you want as given to the people in the 1st Amendment of the Constitution.

Having said that, I do agree. We need much stronger libel laws. And ones in which folks from the "press" are not exempt.

As for Alex Jones... this guy hits the nail on the head:

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:21 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18257
Heard of Alex Jones, could recognize his face and voice, never watch im. Doesn't interest me. Far as I know he's not under any criminal investigation. I've never heard that he's ever cried "fire" in a cinema or anything that could incite injuries or violence that challenge 'free speech'.

Far as my rights being violated regarding his speech - nobody has ever forced me to watch or listen to his show. Now I'm being forced to ignore it in some ways. Rather creepy innit?

Another oddity of the times: What liberals have always been most afraid of - powerful, private corporations dictating 'mass' policy (they are sort of doing just that.. very close..) - and now they applaud it.

This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:35 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Nero seems to be in favor of limiting free speech for some (Alex Jones/InfoWars).....so (will) he be happy to see this?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/new-poll- ... down-media

Quote:
New Poll: 43% of Republicans Want to Give Trump the Power to Shut Down Media

The “enemy of the people” talk is working. A plurality of self-identified Republicans say they want Trump to have the power to take “bad” media outlets out.

Sam Stein
SAM STEIN
08.07.18 11:53 AM ET

Freedom of the press may be guaranteed in the Constitution. But a plurality of Republicans want to give President Trump the authority to close down certain news outlets, according to a new public opinion survey conducted by Ipsos and provided exclusively to The Daily Beast.

The findings present a sobering picture for the fourth estate, with respondents showing diminished trust in the media and increased support for punitive measures against its members. They also illustrate the extent to which Trump’s anti-press drumbeat has shaped public opinion about the role the media plays in covering his administration.

All told, 43 percent of self-identified Republicans said that they believed “the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior.” Only 36 percent disagreed with that statement. When asked if Trump should close down specific outlets, including CNN, The Washington Post, and The New York Times, nearly a quarter of Republicans (23 percent) agreed and 49 percent disagreed.

Republicans were far more likely to take a negative view of the media. Forty-eight percent of them said they believed “the news media is the enemy of the American people” (just 28 percent disagreed) while nearly four out of every five (79 percent) said that they believed “the mainstream media treats President Trump unfairly.”

But swaths of self-identified Democrats and Independents supported anti-press positions as well. According to the survey, 12 percent of Democrats and 21 percent of Independents agreed that “the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior” (74 percent and 55 percent, respectively, disagreed). Additionally, 12 percent of Democrats and 26 percent of Independents agreed that “the news media is the enemy of the American people” (74 percent and 50 percent, respectively, disagreed)

The concept of an enemy press corps has become a staple of Trump’s tweets and public utterances in recent months. Much of it appears prompted by stories about internal frictions within the White House and a growing fear over the state of the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 campaign.

Members of the press, as well as top officials at some of the nation’s leading publications, have objected to the phrase, arguing that it is both wildly inaccurate and deeply dangerous. They have pointed to mob-like treatment of the media by Trump supporters at various rallies as evidence for their fears. Offered the opportunity, Trump’s spokesperson, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, declined to denounce the phrase. Other Trump supports have insisted that he was merely referring to those outlets that spread false information.

I will go on record that I do NOT support the idea that "the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior.”
Again, the concept of free speech MUST include allowing free speech to those with opinions that you disagree with.

What say you Nero?
Was the shut down of Alex Jones/InfoWars by multiple companies correct?
Would you support the idea that "the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior?"

Inquiring minds want to know.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:23 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15595
If the claim of that headline is true (which I seriously doubt) then "43% of Republicans" are fucking morons. Dailybeast? Isn't that a leftalitarian rag?

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 44  Next