maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tolerance and free speech
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:13 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15595
I don't watch "Rebel Media" much tbh. But it does seem to be pretty legit.
Seems like this Gavin McInnes guy has made a good splash and is moving on to bigger and better things.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:12 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
The "digital book burning" has been increasing at an alarming rate lately.

I've seen some speculation that McInnis may be leaving in order to create his own new video/social media platform that emphasizes free speech as a principle. But nobody knows what's in the works. I suppose right now would be the perfect time to do so.

I think YouTube is going to start losing a swath of creators & viewers who are concerned about their content being shadowbanned & demonitized.. or outright deleted as has happened recently. Eventually becoming another echo chamber due to the politically biased censorship they, and their Google overlords, have been steadily implementing since the election.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:13 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/arti ... 104330.php

Quote:
After melees, Berkeley mayor asks Cal to cancel right-wing Free Speech Week
By Matier & RossAugust 28, 2017 Updated: August 28, 2017 8:08pm

In the aftermath of a right-wing rally Sunday that ended with anarchists chasing attendees from a downtown park, Berkeley Mayor Jesse Arreguin urged UC Berkeley on Monday to cancel conservatives’ plans for a Free Speech Week next month to avoid making the city the center of more violent unrest.

“I don’t want Berkeley being used as a punching bag,” said Arreguin, whose city has been the site of several showdowns this year between, on the one hand, the left and its fringe anarchist wing, and on the other, supporters of President Trump who at times have included white nationalists.

“I am concerned about these groups using large protests to create mayhem,” Arreguin said. “It’s something we have seen in Oakland and in Berkeley.”

The mayor wants UC Berkeley to halt plans by a conservative campus group, the Berkeley Patriot, to host right-wing provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos during its scheduled Free Speech Week from Sept. 24-27. Berkeley’s right-vs.-left cage matches began with an appearance that Yiannopoulos was to have made in February at a campus hall, an event that was aborted when black-clad anarchists like those who broke up Sunday’s downtown rally stormed into Sproul Plaza, smashed windows and set bonfires.

Trump himself denounced UC Berkeley in a tweet the next day, and his supporters have since made a point of bringing their fight to the famously liberal college town.

There have been reports that the Berkeley Patriot is also trying to lure ousted White House chief strategist Steve Bannon and right-wing commentator Ann Coulter to appear on campus during its Free Speech Week. Bryce Kasamoto, a spokesman for the group, said Monday, “We are still working out the logistics of this event with the university and law enforcement. Once we have worked out final specifics, we will be able to confirm speakers for Free Speech Week.”

Arreguin is wary of the whole idea.

“I’m very concerned about Milo Yiannopoulos and Ann Coulter and some of these other right-wing speakers coming to the Berkeley campus, because it’s just a target for black bloc to come out and commit mayhem on the Berkeley campus and have that potentially spill out on the street,” Arreguin said, referring to militants who have also been called anti-fascists or antifa.

The anti-Yiannopoulos protesters inflicted $100,000 worth of damage to the school’s student union in February before taking to the streets of Berkeley, where several businesses’ windows were smashed. Arreguin said inviting the former Breitbart News editor and other right-wing speakers was setting up a possible repeat of that destruction.

“I obviously believe in freedom of speech, but there is a line between freedom of speech and then posing a risk to public safety,” the mayor said. “That is where we have to really be very careful — that while protecting people’s free-speech rights, we are not putting our citizens in a potentially dangerous situation and costing the city hundreds of thousands of dollars fixing the windows of businesses.”

UC Berkeley spokesman Dan Mogulof said the university is working with the Berkeley Patriot to come up with a time and location for Yiannopoulos’ appearance. He emphasized that UC Berkeley wasn’t the one extending the invitation, but that “we have neither the legal right nor ability to interfere with or cancel (students groups’) invitations based on the perspectives and beliefs of the speakers.”

“Where we do have discretion is around everything that has to do with the safety of our communities, and the well-being of those who may feel threatened or harmed by what some of these speakers may espouse,” Mogulof said. “We can assure you that those priorities, along with our commitment to free speech, remain at the center of our planning and priorities.”

Also on tap for next month is a campus appearance by Ben Shapiro, another former Breitbart News editor, who is scheduled to speak Sept. 14 at the 1,900-capacity Zellerbach Hall. His appearance is sponsored by Berkeley College Republicans.

Shapiro told The Chronicle last week that he would welcome anyone who wanted to protest his appearance, but that “I’m actively telling people not to show up to defend my free speech. That’s the police’s job.”

UC Berkeley is charging the organizers of Shapiro’s appearance $15,000 for the campus’ security costs.

San Francisco Chronicle columnists Phillip Matier and Andrew Ross appear Sundays, Mondays and Wednesdays. Matier can be seen on the KPIX TV morning and evening news. He can also be heard on KCBS radio Monday through Friday at 7:50 a.m. and 5:50 p.m. Got a tip? Call (415) 777-8815, or email matierandross@sfchronicle.com. Twitter: @matierandross

Quote:
“I’m very concerned about Milo Yiannopoulos and Ann Coulter and some of these other right-wing speakers coming to the Berkeley campus, because it’s just a target for black bloc to come out and commit mayhem on the Berkeley campus and have that potentially spill out on the street,” Arreguin said, referring to militants who have also been called anti-fascists or antifa.

The mayor ADMITS that he knows who it is committing the mayhem, yet the group that he wants to shut down it NOT the group committing the mayhem. :roll:

They want to supress person A's freedom of expression because person B has abused their own right to freedom of expression.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:03 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14427
Quote:
... In the aftermath of a right-wing rally Sunday ...

Wait a minute .. isn't that the "right-wing rally" ... that never happened !!?? (and that wasn't a right-wing rally in the first place !!??) :o

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:39 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14427
Ban veterans from universities - that will fix it !!!

:D

Quote:
"A four-year, traditional university is supposed to be a place of learning, of understanding, of safety and security. However, there is an element among us who may be frustrating those goals: Veterans.

UCCS is known for its number of veterans who are full and part-time students. But these veterans of much of the school prides themselves on may be hurting the university.

First off, many veterans openly mock the ideas of diversity and safe spaces for vulnerable members of society. This is directly in contradiction to the mission of UCCS. Many veterans utter the mantra that they, "do not see color". But the problem lies in their socialization into the military culture that is that of a white supremacist organization. They have been permanently tainted, and are no long fit for a four-year university.

Second, many students are frightened by the presence of veterans in their classrooms. Veterans usually have an overwhelming presence in the classroom, which can distract other students. This is usually true for vulnerable individual such as LGBTQQI2SAA, who have been known to be the butt of insensitive jokes made by veterans.

Finally, veterans usually are associated with extremists right-wing groups such as the tea party and the NRA. In order to provide a safe place for all students, extremist right-wing groups must be suppressed on campus. This would include their followers: veterans.

That is not to say that veterans should not be allowed an education. Veterans should be allowed to attend trade schools, or maybe even community college. But, in order to protect our academic institutions we must ban veterans from four-year universities."

http://www.kktv.com/content/news/Controversial-newsletter-compares-veterans-to-white-supremacists-441704493.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:45 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
chijohnaok wrote:

The mayor ADMITS that he knows who it is committing the mayhem, yet the group that he wants to shut down it NOT the group committing the mayhem. :roll:

They want to supress person A's freedom of expression because person B has abused their own right to freedom of expression.

Wasn't the Berkeley mayor directly involved in BAMN, in the past?

The same brainwashing Marxist organization Fellarca is part of?

I remember that info being dug up months ago, when people were asking why the Berkeley police were being told to stand down & let the Antifa/BAMNsters beat people and tear up property. The internet nerds dug into his past.

It's obvious the Berkely PD are being told not to do anything about the Antifa violence.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:32 pm 
Sergeant Major

jwilkerson wrote:
Ban veterans from universities - that will fix it !!!

:D

Quote:
"A four-year, traditional university is supposed to be a place of learning, of understanding, of safety and security. However, there is an element among us who may be frustrating those goals: Veterans.

UCCS is known for its number of veterans who are full and part-time students. But these veterans of much of the school prides themselves on may be hurting the university.

First off, many veterans openly mock the ideas of diversity and safe spaces for vulnerable members of society. This is directly in contradiction to the mission of UCCS. Many veterans utter the mantra that they, "do not see color". But the problem lies in their socialization into the military culture that is that of a white supremacist organization. They have been permanently tainted, and are no long fit for a four-year university.

Second, many students are frightened by the presence of veterans in their classrooms. Veterans usually have an overwhelming presence in the classroom, which can distract other students. This is usually true for vulnerable individual such as LGBTQQI2SAA, who have been known to be the butt of insensitive jokes made by veterans.

Finally, veterans usually are associated with extremists right-wing groups such as the tea party and the NRA. In order to provide a safe place for all students, extremist right-wing groups must be suppressed on campus. This would include their followers: veterans.

That is not to say that veterans should not be allowed an education. Veterans should be allowed to attend trade schools, or maybe even community college. But, in order to protect our academic institutions we must ban veterans from four-year universities."

http://www.kktv.com/content/news/Controversial-newsletter-compares-veterans-to-white-supremacists-441704493.html

Quote:
LGBTQQI2SAA

:roll:

Oh ffs, when does an acronym become pointless?
Is that enough letters?

Universities had better think this view on veterans through carefully.
I wonder how much in tuition that these universities receive is made up in payments from the GI Bill?

Are they ready to forgo all those monies?
And if they want to ban veterans from their universities then I suggest that all federal research grants be cut off as well.
Maybe federal tuition grants and loans as well.

Maybe then we will see how Professor Smartpants feels about veterans. :twisted:

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:38 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15052
Need to eliminate from every publically funded college or university every department that ends in the word "Studies."

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:48 pm 
Sergeant Major

Not an official publication of the university and the reporter was unable to document a student by that name at the university. It could be a fraud but you never know. College campuses are full of people who blame the US military for 80% of the world's problems.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:59 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15595
jack t ripper wrote:
Not an official publication of the university and the reporter was unable to document a student by that name at the university. It could be a fraud but you never know. College campuses are full of people who blame the US military for 80% of the world's problems.

With one exception . . . well maybe 1.75 . . . every colleague / instructor I can think of from all the years I spent in academia (1988 to 2014) held a dim view of the military. Most regarded the military and any associated with it as evil cretins.

I had a number of students who were in the military and I made it clear to them and to classrooms that I respect their decision to serve and I honored them for their choice. Not surprisingly, they tended to flock to my classes and I'm sure it was part of why I was regarded as a Neanderthal.

This is in complete contrast to the atmosphere I encountered at the couple of technical colleges to which I've had exposure here in Atlanta: posters all round stating in big bold letters "Here at ATC We are VETERAN FRIENDLY!" :P

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 44  Next