maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tolerance and free speech
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:15 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
jwilkerson wrote:
Quote:
... I do think that there are some appropriate punishments ...

I vote for beheading ... with head displayed on a spike ...

If Wilkerson ever went into the practice of law, he would be known as the "hanging judge". :lol:

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:16 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13177
If Chi did ... he would be known as the "push over judge" !

:D

(I guess it takes all kinds of judges ... ;) )

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:39 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13981
jwilkerson wrote:
Quote:
... I do think that there are some appropriate punishments ...

She should be required to log in to the Madhouse daily, read all of our posts, and write up a synthesis of all the characters. :x

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:27 am 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
jwilkerson wrote:

She should be required to log in to the Madhouse daily, read all of our posts, and write up a synthesis of all the characters. :x

That might rise to "cruel and unusual" punishment. ;-)

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:30 am 
Sergeant Major

jwilkerson wrote:
If Chi did ... he would be known as the "push over judge" !

:D

(I guess it takes all kinds of judges ... ;) )

Not necessarily.

I have served as a juror in one criminal trial during my life (that was many years ago, I was still living up in Chicago).

We convicted the bastard. :twisted:

(I also served on one civil trial but that resulted in a hung jury)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:39 pm 
Sergeant Major

https://hotair.com/archives/2018/01/25/ ... h-lawsuit/

Quote:
Michigan Community College Pays $55,000 To Settle Free-Speech Lawsuit

JOHN SEXTONPosted at 1:21 pm on January 25, 2018

Kellogg Community College in Michigan has agreed to settle a lawsuit stemming from the arrest of students who were handing out free copies of the U.S. Constitution on the school’s campus. From the Battle Creek Enquirer:

Kellogg Community College has agreed to pay $55,000 to settle a freedom of speech lawsuit in federal court but did not admit to any wrongdoing.

The college announced Tuesday that it had reached an agreement to resolve a complaint filed in federal court after three people were arrested for trespassing while distributing copies of the U.S. Constitution outside a campus building in 2016.

Two of those arrested and Young Americans for Liberty, a campus libertarian organization with more than 900 chapters across the country, sued KCC in January 2017 after members said they were arrested after being told they had to register and contain their solicitation to KCC’s student center.

The school did not admit to any wrong-doing but it did make changes to its campus solicitation policy, i.e. the policy which prompted the arrest in the first place. From Lenconnect.com:

During a thorough review of its policies, the KCC Board of Trustees in August 2017 opted on its own to adopt a Freedom of Expression Policy after determining that the institution’s former Solicitation Policy, while compliant with all applicable laws, needed clarity. The new Freedom of Expression policy makes clear how KCC accommodates expressive activities on its property while ensuring that such activities do not interfere with College operations and the learning environment.

The Board adopted minor revisions to the policy, per the terms of the settlement agreement, during its regular meeting on Jan. 17, 2018.

“It’s astounding that college officials would arrest people for distributing the Constitution, the very document that protects their right to free expression,” said Americans Defending Freedom legal counsel Travis Barham, which represented the YAL students. “All public colleges have a duty to protect and promote the First Amendment’s guarantee of free speech. It’s a shame that it took this much time and a federal court’s rebuke for Kellogg Community College to come to its senses, realize that these arrests were wrong, and finally agree to respect students’ constitutionally protected freedoms.”

All of this started in September 2016 (note: some stories say Sep. 2015) when a four YAL members who were not students at the school handed out free copies of the Constitution on the campus. They were approached and told they couldn’t do so without first getting a permit. When they refused to do so they were arrested. No charges were ever filed and the students were released but only after spending 7-hours locked up. They filed a lawsuit last January arguing their rights had been violated and that the school’s application of the policies was inconsistent. From the Washington Times:

ADF’s lawsuit claims KCC’s “Speech Zone Policy” and the wording of its code of conduct create an unconstitutional veto over speech. The plaintiffs also claim the school selectively enforces its Solicitation Policy. They cite a 2015 instance where members of an LGBT group Spectrum were allegedly allowed to distribute literature without an “information table.”

“Defendants were aware of Spectrum’s expressive activities, allowed them to take place, and took no action to stop them or limit them to an information table, despite their Speech Zone Policy,” the lawsuit states. “In the spring of 2016, Mr. Withers observed a representative of another political organization gathering signatures for a petition in the outdoor, generally accessible areas of campus. Upon information and belief, Defendants did not require this representative of this political organization to obtain administrative permission before engaging in his expressive activities and took no action to stop his expression, despite their Speech Permit Policy.”

So without admitting they were wrong, the school has now changed their policy and paid a price in connection with the case. The arrest itself was captured on video. Part of it can be seen in this local news clip from last January:

Seems that Kellogg Community College was of the belief that all forms of free speech are equal, but some free speakers are more equal than others.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:02 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13981
Big Brother making progress in the UK

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:36 am 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
I do think that there are some appropriate punishments that would make her re-evaluate her opinion on this country and maybe point her into (eventually) become a productive member of society.
Maybe doing 50 or 100 hours of community service in a VA hospital....or something along those lines.

I've worked in a VA hospital...the laziness of the hired help would drive anyone crazy. A year in jail would probably be good for mental health.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:21 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15175
Anthropoid wrote:
Big Brother making progress in the UK

Anyone who watches Rebel Media is fecked then. Guess Breitbart will be pushing it too. You can bet that within 5 years anything to the right of the BBC will be 'far right'.

VPNs for Everybody!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:26 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15175
Amber Rudd really is a complete fucktard though. Time to digress a bit and talk about this control freak idiot.

Totally clueless about the tech issues involved ->
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/am ... 81251.html

Remainer too, naturally. The EU and pathological control issues walk ideologically hand in hand, yet again.

Fortunately she only has a majority in her constituency of 346 votes, so hopefully in the next Parliament she will be history. Believe it or not this cretin is considered leadership material by the Tories too, but they won't, unless they are truly crazed, pick a leader representing such a marginal seat.

But who knows, we live in crazy times, maybe having ovaries and wanting to turn the country into an open air prison ( thanks to the Kafkaesque world in which we live that's apparently 'liberalism' ) might possibly override all sense.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 33  Next