maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Riot-Plagued Baltimore Is a Catastrophe Entirely of the
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:26 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 19776
The recent well-placed and well-versed Twatter assaults on President Trump's Dem detractors has Stephen Miller's fingerprints all over them.

I'd bet Miller's fact-swollen brain, and vicious barbs utilizing them, are a primary component of it.

There's a reason the TDS sufferers absolutely hate him. He's vicious when it comes to pointing out their many faults with facts. Like a relentless Terminator.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:29 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
I drove through Western Maryland on the way to Gettysburg. It's very beautiful. Annapolis is a beautiful town too.

Something went badly awry in Baltimore.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:03 pm 
Sergeant Major

https://hotair.com/archives/john-s-2/20 ... not-happy/

Quote:
Trump Supporters Cleaned Up Tons Of Trash And The Baltimore Sun Is Not Happy About It (Update)

JOHN SEXTON
Posted at 3:01 pm on August 7, 2019

Yesterday Jazz wrote about the Baltimore cleanup effort put together by Trump supporter Scott Presler. After the public spat between Trump and Rep. Elijah Cummings, Pressler wanted to genuinely do something positive. So he gathered somewhere between 200-300 people to clean up trash, cut lawns, and make things look better. He posted before and after photos of the effort on Twitter. That led to a snarky editorial for the Baltimore Sun which veered between admitting the cleanup was needed and blaming Pressler for sending the wrong message.

It made for good photos, compelling videos and catchy Twitter hashtags. A group of conservatives rolled their pickup trucks into one of West Baltimore’s most impoverished neighborhoods Monday for a cleanup day. Loaded down with trash bags and shovels, they cleared alleyways of old tires, food containers, paper and other debris. They pulled up weeds and cut away overgrown grass. The group posted before and after pictures on social media showing their progress…

Whatever he says his motives were, Mr. Presler’s presence in Baltimore reinforces the tired image of our failing urban cores. That the poor people in this dilapidated city can’t take care of their own neighborhoods and all the public officials around them have failed as well. The bureaucratic, all-talk Democrats strike again. If a crowd of volunteers could clean up 12 tons of trash in 12 hours, how incompetent and helpless must Baltimoreans be if they can’t manage it in decades, right?

I obviously don’t speak for Scott Pressler, but as an outside observer, I’d say that his effort definitely highlights a failure in Baltimore and does make me wonder why the city, or just a group of local residents, couldn’t have done this cleanup before this week. If the city and the Baltimore Sun are feeling embarrassed by Pressler’s efforts, well, maybe they should be. The editorial then offered a bunch of excuses for the mess:

Amazingly enough, Mr. Presler is not the first one to come up with the bright idea of a neighborhood cleanup. It is not really that remarkable of a concept. In fact, they happen all the time. Sadly, it doesn’t take long for people (frequently from outside the community) to refill the alleyways with illegal dumping and for grass to grow again in front of vacant buildings with no resident available to tend the lawn. Does Mr. Presler know that drug dealers use trash to hide their product and have been known to threaten people who try to clean it up? The solutions are just not that simple.

Let’s just point out that most of these criticisms make no sense. Did Pressler say the cleanup was a remarkable, original concept? I don’t think so. Did anyone say that a one-time cleanup would solve the problem forever and always? Again, no. And if drug dealers are hiding their product in trash, isn’t that another argument for cleaning things up? As for it not being so simple, wasn’t it exactly that simple when the volunteers came in an cleaned up the mess? I’d say it seemed pretty simple, almost like anyone could do it. And begrudgingly, the paper admits it was a good thing for these neighborhoods.

The silver lining in all of this is that the residents of West Baltimore did get a much needed cleaning up. That is something that they deserve. Streets and alleyways free of trash go a long way in improving the psyche of a neighborhood and its residents. Not to mention deterring crime. Mr. Presler says that people around the country are planning similar clean up events in their own communities. A loud round of applause for that as well. Spiffier neighborhoods are good for everyone.

But the paper can’t leave it there. The editorial board dumps 12 tons of unrelated demands on Scott Pressler:

We also hope Mr. Presler keeps his promise to return to Baltimore once a month. It would definitely give his motives more credibility. It might also give him better perspective about the city’s problems than any single visit can provide. Maybe it could even lead him and his followers to advocate for federal housing, health care, transportation, education, criminal justice, civil rights and anti-poverty policies aimed at urban communities.

Did Pressler promise to solve all of Baltimore’s problems by adopting progressive solutions? If so I missed that. I think the point here was to demonstrate that some of the city’s problems can be solved with a little bit of elbow grease and a refusal to ignore the problem. That doesn’t mean Baltimore is suddenly a wonderful place with no problems, but it is slightly better than it was before the volunteers showed up. The last line of the editorial really bothers me:

In the meantime, we’ll see how clean the neighborhood still is when he returns in September.

What the hell is that?! Is the paper threatening a huge mess if Pressler returns? Is that something to brag about? And even if it’s true, wouldn’t cleaning it up again be the right thing to do?

It really sounds like the Baltimore Sun is making excuses for a crummy status quo, one that helps no one (except the rats) and which wouldn’t be all that difficult to change. Maybe instead of daring Scott Pressler to return and clean up the mess once again, the editorial board could ask why the city doesn’t do more to keep the streets clean. Maybe some of the people writing this apologia for garbage could even volunteer a little of their time to help clean it up. After all, if you don’t like the message Pressler’s cleanup is sending, the best alternative is to send a different message by taking care of it yourself.

Update: Well, here’s one reason things don’t get cleaned up in Baltimore. Scott Pressler says he spent a week requesting permission to have dumpsters on the street for the cleanup. The city never approved the request so Pressler went ahead without the permits. Today he received a denial from the city.

[i]
#ThePersistence

@ScottPresler
We applied for dumpster permits on Wednesday morning of last week for the Baltimore cleanup.

For 3 days, we respectfully called the office asking for an update.

The city of Baltimore never approved the permits, so we did it, anyway.

Received this today.[

Attachment:
Baltimore dumpster denial.jpg
Baltimore dumpster denial.jpg [ 109.47 KiB | Viewed 194 times ]

/i]
Also, it seems not everyone is thrilled with the Baltimore Sun’s editorial.

[Link in original linked article]

The Baltimore Sun editorial board are a bunch of douchebags.

A group of 300 volunteers, many apparently from OUTSIDE that neighborhood, some even coming from out of state, spend 12 hours helping to clean up 12 TONS of trash and the newspaper is questioning their motives???

How about a simple "Thank you" and "this is an example what can be accomplished when a group of people put their heads together".

I wonder if Congressman Cummings, during the 23 years that he has represented this district in Congress, ever thought to or bothered organizing a cleanup project like this?

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:27 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 4893
chijohnaok wrote:
The Baltimore Sun editorial board are a bunch of douchebags.

A group of 300 volunteers, many apparently from OUTSIDE that neighborhood, some even coming from out of state, spend 12 hours helping to clean up 12 TONS of trash and the newspaper is questioning their motives???

How about a simple "Thank you" and "this is an example what can be accomplished when a group of people put their heads together".

I wonder if Congressman Cummings, during the 23 years that he has represented this district in Congress, ever thought to or bothered organizing a cleanup project like this?

If someone shows how easy it is to solve this problem then the local Democrats will lose their corporate welfare. Plus, we need to keep re-enforcing the stereotype that all Trump supporters are wealthy, white racists. Can't have them actually taking time out of their lives to help people of color! That would ruin everything the propaganda machine has been working on for the last 3 years!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:15 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 10152

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:27 pm 
Sergeant Major

Organizing these sort of community efforts isn't exactly rocket science.

I remember when I was a young kid living in Chicago.
The city received one of its periodic blizzards/snowstorms.
IIRC, we received something like 20-25 inches of snow in a matter of a day or two, and then received additional snow over the next few days.

The city was crippled and the Department of Streets and Sanitation (who are responsible for plowing the city streets) were having a hard time clearing the major streets...the side streets in residential neighborhoods were not getting plowed (that is unless you were the Alderman, Democratic Party Ward Committeeman or some other Democratic politician.....in those instances a plow came through and cleaned their street/block up).'

The street in front of the apartment building we lived in was knee high or higher in snow, with ruts that were barely passable for a 4 X 4 vehicle or commercial truck, let alone a regular auto. This situation went on for days, almost a week. Finally a couple of residents (not even homeowners since the block was mostly made up of residential apartment buildings) organized a neighborhood 'snow shovelling' for the street. They created a handwritten flyer, went to a print shop (this was in the early 1970s, before the days where copy machines were common) and had photostat copies of the flyer printed up. They then went up and down the street, handed the flyers out, taped them up in the lobbies of the apartment buildings. At the appointed date and time w had about 40-50 people show up with snow shovels and we spent the next 5-6 hours hand shoveling the snow out of the street to make it passable. We cleared a 2-3 block stretch, which is roughly about 1/4 of a mile.

This is a snapshot of that street (no snow though in this photo)...just so that you can get an idea for the width of the street:

Attachment:
Chicago street.jpg
Chicago street.jpg [ 514.93 KiB | Viewed 184 times ]

What you need to accomplish this sort of thing is:
1) a couple good organizers
2) enough people who give a hoot and are willing to pitch in

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:27 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18687

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:28 am 
Sergeant Major

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... missioner/

Quote:
Baltimore deputy police commissioner, wife robbed at gunpoint

By - Associated Press - Sunday, August 18, 2019

BALTIMORE — Police say one of Baltimore’s newest deputy police commissioners and his wife were robbed at gunpoint.

The Baltimore Sun reports that Deputy Commissioner Daniel Murphy and his wife were approached by four men in an SUV at about 9 p.m. Friday near Patterson Park.

Police say the men announced it was a robbery, showed a gun and fled with a wallet, a purse, cash and multiple cellphones.

Police say no one was injured.

Baltimore, still a sh*th*le.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:33 am 
Sergeant Major

That rat video is disgusting. It was the Trump Tower of rats. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:38 am 
Sergeant Major

Cuz cleaning up garbage strewn alleys is a sign of white supremacy.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next