maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Riot-Plagued Baltimore Is a Catastrophe Entirely of the
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:54 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Is anyone else troubled by the need to have a team of prosecutors called the "clean team"? :shock:

In any sane world this should be a career ending outcome for the lead prosecutor.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:54 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16677
It seems this was one of the rare cases, where the SJW clans got their heads handed to them ... amazing rarity ...

Judge Barry Williams ... the hander of the heads ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:00 am 
Sergeant Major

It took some serious balls to ask for a bench trial. In retrospect it was brilliant because it let the emotional air out of the trial and put the emphasis on evidence.

I wonder if the judge privately took grief from the "community"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:04 am 
Sergeant Major

Can you imagine how angry the former defendants and the police union are?

Probably the whole department is screwed for a decade.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:26 pm 
Sergeant Major

http://hotair.com/archives/2017/06/22/b ... ray-riots/

Quote:
The City Over Damage Done In Freddie Gray Riots
JAZZ SHAWPosted at 12:01 pm on June 22, 2017

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the courtrooms in Baltimore…

You may be forgiven if you’d thought that the entire Freddie Gray saga was in our collective rear view mirror at this point. It’s been a couple of years now. Most of the damage from the riots has been cleaned up. The trials of the police officers involved (at least those that made it as far as trial before being abandoned) are long since over. So what’s left to debate?

According to the owners of more than five dozen businesses which were damaged or totally destroyed in the riots, there’s plenty to talk about and they plan on doing so in a court of law. Over sixty businesses have banded together and filed suit against the city, the mayor (at the time), the Chief of Police and others, saying that they abjectly failed in their duty to prevent the destruction of property and injuries which resulted from riots which were not only predictable, but preventable if the municipal government had acted responsibly. (Baltimore Sun)

Dozens of Baltimore business owners are suing city officials, including the police department and former Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, saying they mishandled the city’s response to the rioting in 2015.

In a nearly 700-page complaint filed in federal court this week, more than 60 plaintiffs say city officials failed to prevent the looting and rioting that erupted after the arrest and death of Freddie Gray in April 2015, despite warnings the city would experience violence.

More than 380 businesses, including many located south of North Avenue in West Baltimore, were damaged or destroyed. Property losses were estimated at nearly $13 million.

Chief among the defendants in this case are former Baltimore Police Commissioner Anthony Batts, former Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, the city council, the police department, the state of Maryland and almost everyone in between.

I’d been wondering for a while now if business owners could actually do this. Sure, they’re citing the possibility under the Maryland Riot Act statute, so perhaps there’s a chance. (Just as a side note, how bad off does your city have to be to pass a riot act statute?) But could they actually win in court when the city officials in question will simply argue that they did what they thought was right at the time, acted in good faith simply miscalculated the crowd? At least I assume that’s the defense they will seek to build.

But the plaintiffs do have a powerful body of evidence to cite in their favor. There are mountains of video clips and newspaper accounts of the timeline leading up to the violence. They include public statements from both the Governor and Commissioner Batts citing worries about the violence which had erupted in Ferguson and fears that the same thing could happen in Baltimore. Even after the crowds began massing, the local press covered the orders that the police were given to “stand down” and let the crowds go where they wished. And even once the fires were blazing and the windows were shattering, it wasn’t until the following day that a curfew was ordered and extra troops were brought in.

And then there was the infamous quote which Rawlings-Blake gave in her press conference on the steps of City Hall.

“…we also gave those who wished to destroy space to do that as well.”

She tried to walk that one back almost immediately, “clarifying” what she was saying, but the damage was done. And now, when I look back on the body of evidence, the plaintiffs may just have a case after all. That’s probably bad news for a city which is already trying to deal with massive budget shortfalls and a staggering murder problem, but the people who lost their livelihoods in the riots clearly deserve something. And who do you plan to hold accountable… the rioters?

This case is long overdue.

I predict that there will end up being an out of court settlement.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:32 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16677
Quote:

But the gubermint officials who would presumably be responsible for the negligence do not suffer ... only the taxpayers suffer ...

Throw the gubermint officials in prison and maybe that would send a message ... but bilk the taxpayers ... that's just business as usual ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:52 pm 
Sergeant Major

jwilkerson wrote:
Quote:

But the gubermint officials who would presumably be responsible for the negligence do not suffer ... only the taxpayers suffer ...

Throw the gubermint officials in prison and maybe that would send a message ... but bilk the taxpayers ... that's just business as usual ...

Unfortunately, that will probably be true.
Stephanie Rawlings-Blake is no longer the mayor.
I think that the police chief was also changed.

Larry Hogan, the Republican governor is still there.
The thing is:
A) At the time of the riots, he had barely been in office for 3 months
B) As governor, (IMHO) of the elected leaders in Maryland, he probably had the least amount of responsibility. He does not run the city of Baltimore. He does not run the police department. The governor would normally not intervene until after the local (City) authorities had requested state intervention.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:37 pm 
Sergeant Major

I think that they failed in that goal, but let's wait for the weekend to end to see the final results.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:48 pm 
Sergeant Major

chijohnaok wrote:

I think that they failed in that goal, but let's wait for the weekend to end to see the final results.

The "Nobody kill anybody" weekend draws to a close.
So what were the results?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... story.html

Quote:
Six shot in Baltimore at close of weekend

Kevin RectorContact Reporter
The Baltimore Sun
Six people were shot, two of them fatally, during the weekend’s ceasefire called for by some Baltimore residents as a response to rampant gun violence.

Another man was gunned down and killed early Monday morning, and police are investigating whether two of the recent killings are related. Another was shot Monday afternoon.

Despite the violence, organizers called the 72-hour ceasefire a success and police praised the event.

“We don’t know what would have happened this weekend had the ceasefire not been going on,” said Cassandra Crifasi, deputy director of the Johns Hopkins-Baltimore Collaborative for Violence Reduction. “We don’t know how many violent events were prevented.”

Baltimore Police Commissioner Kevin Davis lauded the event, saying he hopes the families will continue their efforts to reduce the violence.

Grass-roots activists called for the ceasefire in the midst of record-setting violence. The organizers aimed to stop the shooting from Friday through Sunday with a unified and blunt message: “Nobody kill anybody.”

The message was printed on T-shirts and flyers. Organizers designed a website and held community meetings. Thousands of people visited their Facebook page. Hundreds of people pledged to keep the peace, organizer Erricka Bridgeford said. There were marches and rallies during the weekend.

Through Monday, there were 211 homicides in Baltimore in 2017.

The ceasefire started promisingly with no reported shootings on Friday, but by Saturday afternoon shots rang out, wounding someone in the 4800 block of Park Heights Ave. and leaving a 24-year-old man dead after a 5 p.m. shooting in Pigtown. A 37-year-old man was shot and killed in the 1600 block of Gertrude St. in Northwest Baltimore about 10 p.m.

On Monday, police identified the victims as Lamontrey Tynes, 24, for whom police said they did not have a last-known address, and Donte Johnson, 37, of the 1700 block of Ruxton Road.

The violence continued Sunday. About 4:15 p.m., police responded to a reported shooting in the 100 block of N. Howard St. and soon were called to a nearby hospital after a 24-year-old man walked in with a gunshot wound to his forearm.

About 9:54 p.m., officers found a 30-year-old man with a gunshot wound to the leg at a local hospital, police said. An investigation revealed he was shot in the 2800 block of Woodbrook Ave. in the city’s Parkview/Woodbrook neighborhood. Police said the man was transported to the hospital by his girlfriend, but that detectives “were unable to gain additional information from the victim nor his girlfriend due to the couple being very evasive towards investigators.”

About 10:12 p.m. Sunday, officers again responded to a local hospital and found a 25-year-old man with a gunshot wound from a bullet that “initially entered through the victim's upper arm and came to rest in the victim’s chest,” police said.

Police said an investigation determined the man was shot in the 800 block of N. Carey St. in the city’s Harlem Park neighborhood.

Police do not identify the surviving victims of shootings.

About 1 a.m. Monday, officers found a man with gunshot wounds to the head and torso in the 1700 block of Ruxton Ave. in the Coppin Heights neighborhood, police said. The man, identified as Barry Lee, 34, of the 400 block of Oxford Court, was pronounced dead at the hospital, police said.

Police said detectives are investigating whether there is any connection between the shooting of Lee and Johnson, given their killings came just days apart and Johnson lived on the block where Lee was shot.

On Monday afternoon, after the ceasefire, a man was shot in his shoulder in the 4600 block of Liberty Heights Ave. in Howard Park. Police said he was shot shortly after 2 p.m. and hospitalized in critical condition.

Anyone with information about the shootings is asked to call citywide shooting detectives at 410-396-2221 or Metro Crime Stoppers at 1-866-7-LOCK-UP.

Baltimore Sun reporter Tim Prudente contributed to this article.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:33 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 19776
Sheriff Clarke has gone full on red pill after dealing with the Demstream media:

https://twitter.com/SheriffClarke

The Left-tards seem to have been pissing him off.

:shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next