maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Riot-Plagued Baltimore Is a Catastrophe Entirely of the
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:00 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
http://hotair.com/archives/2016/05/16/t ... baltimore/

Quote:
The next Freddie Gray trial is underway in Baltimore

posted at 12:41 pm on May 16, 2016 by Jazz Shaw

Last week in Baltimore, the next phase of the highly dubious Freddie Gray trials kicked off. You may recall that Marilyn Mosby’s first at bat last year was against Officer William Porter. That one ended in a mistrial, casting a bit of a pall over the entire lineup. This time she’s going after Officer Edward Nero and, if anything, her prospects are looking even worse. Andrew Branca at Legal Insurrection has a lengthy, detailed analysis of the opening days of the proceedings which is well worth a read in full. Here’s where he sets the stage and describes the key players.

The prosecution is being led by Chief Deputy State’s Attorney Michael Schatzow, an attorney with relatively little criminal law experience. Schatzow previously led the failed prosecution of Officer William Porter in the first “Freddie Gray” trial earlier this year. (Porter’s trial ended in a hung jury, and prosecutors have announced they intend to re-try him.)

Nero is being represented by defense attorney Marc Zayon.

State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby, Schatzow’s boss, appears to have no day-to-day role in the prosecution, although she was personally present in the court room’s spectator seats for the first day of trial yesterday.

The first important technical detail which Branca brings up is that Nero has opted for a bench trial, meaning that the case will be heard and decided by judge Barry Williams instead of a jury. This was no doubt a calculated move on the part of Nero’s defense. It was rather amazing that Porter managed to wind up with a hung jury to begin with, and the odds of getting an impartial panel this time around seems slim, particularly considering the toxic atmosphere toward the police which has been cultivated by outgoing Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake. In this case, Nero is no doubt better off allowing the judge to make the call.

As Branca dives into the details we see that Mosby may have bungled this next phase before she even made it out of the gate. Nero was an odd choice to bring to trial second because of his tenuous involvement in the entire affair. The charges against him are broken out into two phases of the incident. The first is the initial arrest and the second was the process of loading Gray into the police van.

The first important technical detail which Branca brings up is that Nero has opted for a bench trial, meaning that the case will be heard and decided by judge Barry Williams instead of a jury. This was no doubt a calculated move on the part of Nero’s defense. It was rather amazing that Porter managed to wind up with a hung jury to begin with, and the odds of getting an impartial panel this time around seems slim, particularly considering the toxic atmosphere toward the police which has been cultivated by outgoing Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake. In this case, Nero is no doubt better off allowing the judge to make the call.

As Branca dives into the details we see that Mosby may have bungled this next phase before she even made it out of the gate. Nero was an odd choice to bring to trial second because of his tenuous involvement in the entire affair. The charges against him are broken out into two phases of the incident. The first is the initial arrest and the second was the process of loading Gray into the police van.

While each case will have to be decided on its own merits, public perception can never be entirely discounted in high profile trials like these where the entire city is glued to the proceedings. Nero’s limited participation in the arrest (as compared to his colleagues on the scene) makes a conviction here seem even less likely than in the first trial. After striking out against Porter, if Mosby fails to bring in a conviction against Nero the arc of the story begins to change and this entire series of trials may well be seen as more of a political vendetta than a serious attempt at finding “Justice for Freddie Gray.” (You’ll recall that phrase as the clarion call which Mosby issued from the steps of City Hall before the first juror was ever interviewed.)

The current Mayor’s career is essentially over now and if Mosby strikes out entirely, hers may be soon to follow. In the end, the biggest losers in this matter other than Freddie Gray and his family may wind up being the Democrats running the city and not the police.

Will Nero be convicted or acquitted?
Will Baltimore sink into bedlam again at a failed conviction?
Will the SJW come out claiming that judicial process is stacked against justice for African-Americans? (even though if I recall half the police officers charged in this are African-American).

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:23 pm 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
After striking out against Porter, if Mosby fails to bring in a conviction against Nero the arc of the story begins to change and this entire series of trials may well be seen as more of a political vendetta than a serious attempt at finding “Justice for Freddie Gray.”

Ummmm....the reason it will seem like a "political vendetta" is that is exactly what it is.

I predict NO convictions or convicitions on only the lightest charges. The prosecutor, out of political cowardice, turned on the flame thrower in this case.

Of course, the city will lose the wrongful death lawsuit because the failure to use the seat belt is really inexcusable. They would be better off to just settle instead of litigating....perhaps they have already.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:31 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16677
It is good to hear that Maryland's tax dollars are being spent so unwisely. I recall the idea, that things can't bounce back until they hit bottom. So, the faster "we" zoom down into the abyss, the sooner our great-great-grandchildren can hope, once again, to crawl out of the mud ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:53 pm 
Oppressive Tyrant and Enemy of Truth

Reputation points: 16843
Freddie's family has already cashed in on a multi million dollar settlement.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:21 am 
Sergeant Major

Baltimore/Maryland's prosecution isn't going well ...

Quote:
... Baltimore police Officer Edward Nero has been found not guilty of all charges for his part in the events leading to the death of Freddie Gray. Judge Barry Williams announced his decision Monday after a bench trial. Nero was charged with second-degree intentional assault, two counts of misconduct in office and reckless endangerment. ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:07 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6825
jwilkerson wrote:
Baltimore/Maryland's prosecution isn't going well ...

Quote:
... Baltimore police Officer Edward Nero has been found not guilty of all charges for his part in the events leading to the death of Freddie Gray. Judge Barry Williams announced his decision Monday after a bench trial. Nero was charged with second-degree intentional assault, two counts of misconduct in office and reckless endangerment. ...

yeesh.........hope it's not time to upgrade the TV and sneakers .......

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:23 pm 
Sergeant Major

Well, that's 0 for 2. :lol:

The defense made a good decision for a bench trial. You could tell by some of his earlier comments the judge thought it was bullshit.

Here is the problem with show trials and overly aggressive charging by the prosecutor.....with due process the defendants make their case and the prosecution has a much higher bar than jsut making shit up on television. If this continues then black Baltimore will be convinced the fix is in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:37 pm 
Sergeant Major

Just in case some of the TV upgraders think this is all a white conspiracy ... here is a pic of Judge Williams ... who tried the case against Nero ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:14 pm 
Sergeant Major

jwilkerson wrote:
Just in case some of the TV upgraders think this is all a white conspiracy ... here is a pic of Judge Williams ... who tried the case against Nero ...

He's obviously an Uncle Tom or something. ;)

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:41 pm 
Sergeant Major

That's "Judge Uncle Tom" to you, pal.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next