maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 724 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73
 Post subject: Re: Will Europe Ever Defend Itself?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:59 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
protect Hawaii and Alaska. Nobody wants Samoa or Guam. :lol:

Is there some value of having a big air base in Korea? Yes, as a counterbalance to China and to keep track of Soviet naval activity out of Vladivostock but it is not worth the cost or risk of a PRK attack.

B-52 base at Guam makes sense. Naval base at Yokohama makes sense for now.

There is also the problem of nuclear proliferation if the US draws down. At this point I would trust the Japanese with nukes...not the Taiwanese..too many hot heads

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:20 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14302
I'm ok with the Taiwanese having nukes. That'd pretty much end the threat of Chinese invasion. Indeed, I am OK with all of the smallish SE Asian states having a few nukes. Anyway, it's more or less inevitable. So it's best to plan for the day rather than waste so much effort shoveling against the tide.

Also, IMO the USA needs about 1500 next-generation ICBMs, all with 12 MIRV capability.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:51 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 17050
EUBanana wrote:
Kameolontti wrote:
They always talk of "Russians love autocrats" or "Iraqis love autocrats" etc.

What about the Kermans? It seems like they love strong leaders that stamp the floor and tell them what to do - and better yet, tell the Europe what to do and how to think so we can all be like them.

Bit like how some cretin in Parliament yesterday was demanding we stay in the ECHR to protect our rights.

What rights are those again?

Freedom of speech? nope
Freedom of expression? nope
Self determination? nope, see the Oligarchy vs the People in the ongoing Brexit farce. Or the Catalans, this is the ECHR after all.
Freedom of conscience? nope, see bakers and gay cakes, see what happens if you hold a Mohammed drawing contest
Free press? nope, see state broadcaster and restrictive practices on private broadcasting
Freedom of association? not really, see Antifa harassers. And bear in mind that Antifa harassers are often in receipt of public money, making it cross the boundary into state repression

In the preamble of the ECHR

Considering that the aim of the Council of Europe is the achievement of greater unity between its members and that one of the methods by which that aim is to be pursued is the maintenance and further realisation of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms;

No doubt that goal, unlike all the others, will be held up as gospel.

And when it comes down to some actual conflict, they don't criticize the likes of Russia one bit for launching an invasion to a sovereign neutral country and using mercenaries and human shields and torture.

But when Ukrainians return fire to Russian units firing from within urban areas the Ukrainians get called "in violation of bla bla" and to "restrain from fighting back"; "turn the other cheek and take those barrages".

All of the EU related institutions are just a big fat joke which only act to repress native nationals.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:02 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 17050
mdiehl wrote:
I'm ok with the Taiwanese having nukes. That'd pretty much end the threat of Chinese invasion. Indeed, I am OK with all of the smallish SE Asian states having a few nukes. Anyway, it's more or less inevitable. So it's best to plan for the day rather than waste so much effort shoveling against the tide.

Also, IMO the USA needs about 1500 next-generation ICBMs, all with 12 MIRV capability.

Nukes for Finland would also end the whole debate regarding Russian invasion.

Hence why any politician who would start to suggest it would suffer a fatal soap slip accident.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 724 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73