maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Second home questions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:16 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
What do you Florida guys think about Florida.

Forgotten Coast?

SW Florida?

Where are areas where you can't get hurricane insurance?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Second home questions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:18 pm 
Sergeant Major

I would like to be able to put in a boat for fishing...but if there is a close marina that would be OK

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:24 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15595
Also consider Georgia coast I think, maybe Alabama too . . . just thoughts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:32 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14927
How long can you tread water?

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:55 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 8118
Jesus Christ, the fucking snowbirds.

Tampa down to Ft. Myers on the Gulf coast side is becoming full of the goddamn Walking Dead.

The Sarasota area, for example (very near where I live and work): If there is a pristine area of land, Benderson Development is gonna plow it over and make residences/business district out of it. Subdivisions are going up everywhere..I mean, everywhere! During snowbird season, the roads are crammed with cars and godawful shitty drivers. Rich assholes, young and old, who are far more important that us pleebs going whatever goddamn speed they want intermixed with 90 year old geriatrics who brake-check while merging the 70mph on-ramp equals spectacular traffic accidents on I-75 that would make Michael Bay's pants moist.

Those of us who live here hate every damn minute of it. We love it when the snowbirds are gone. We can actually get to work on time and go places without risking our lives! South Florida is becoming overpopulated, in my opinion. Hell, even getting to the beaches is a bitch when snowbirds are here. The traffic is absolute murder during season. Every year gets a little closer to my wife and I saying "fuck it" and going somewhere else...East Tennessee comes to mind or somewhere inland where there is less development.

The public schools are...well, let's say that my wife didn't have to worry about kids not being able to read when she was teaching in Mississippi a few years back.

Yeah, I said Mississippi.

BUT...there is a lot of cool stuff to do, especially if you like to golf. Water sports galore, too. Fishing. If you like water sports, this is the place. Just don't let the red tide kill you...or, for that matter, the geriatrics that will flummox your trip to the water. Either way, its an adventure just getting in your car.

How'd I do, Chicken? ;)

The bedfellows politics made are never strange. It only seems that way to those who have not watched the courtship.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:12 pm 
Sergeant Major

:lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:17 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 10085
If you want to live on the coast you should look on the Texas Gulf Coast. Fishing is good and the politics are better.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:20 pm 
Sergeant Major

I'm at 1000 ft above sea level and 6 air miles from the Pacific.

Maybe twice a year we get a little sleet or small hail in the winter but no real snow. ;)

I like Hilton Head and Savannah too. Clearly I'm not welcome in Florida. ;) The big advantage of Florida is no state income tax

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:21 pm 
Sergeant Major

nelmsm wrote:
If you want to live on the coast you should look on the Texas Gulf Coast. Fishing is good and the politics are better.

What town?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:48 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 10085
Anywhere between Corpus Christi and Galveston but I'd favor the Corpus Christi side. Somewhere around Aransas Pass, Rockport or all the way to Port Lavaca and Palacios, is best in my opinion. You can find some nice small towns along there but not too far from the bigger cities if you feel the need to enjoy their opportunities. Only sales tax and property taxes, no state income taxes here and no goofy gun laws.

Profile E-mail