Australia is burning

The rules: No spamming, no making a nuisance of yourself.

Moderators: chijohnaok, Kameolontti

LaPalice
Staff Sergeant

Australia is burning

#1 Post by LaPalice » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:30 pm

If Australia is our future beucause of global warming, it is frightening.

Australia is burning - but why are the bushfires so bad and is climate change to blame?
Australia is no stranger to wildfires, but this season has been unprecedented in scale and intensity - and the summer is far from over.

So far at least 17 people have died in blazes that have swept the country, more than 1,200 homes have been destroyed and 5.5 million hectares (13.5 million acres) of land has been burnt.

So what has caused the blazes which have devastated huge swathes of the country?

Why are the fires so bad?
Australia’s deadly fires have been fuelled by a combination of extreme heat, prolonged drought and strong winds.

The country is in the grip of a heatwave, with record-breaking temperatures over the last three months. In mid-December the nation saw the hottest day in history - the average temperature was 41.9 degrees Celsius.

These conditions, which show few signs of abating in the next few weeks, have been accompanied by brisk winds which fan the flames and push the smoke across Australia’s major cities. On Monday wind speeds were recorded at 60 miles per hour.

All this follows the country’s driest spring since records began 120 years ago, with much of New South Wales and Queensland experiencing rainfall shortfalls since early 2017. Trees, shrubs and grasslands have turned into the perfect tinder for flames.

Has climate change caused the fires?
Bushfires are a regular feature in Australia’s calendar - often triggered by natural causes such as lightning strikes - and cannot be blamed on climate change or rising greenhouse gas emissions alone.

But experts say that the changing climate is key to understanding the ferocity of this years blazes - hotter, drier conditions are making the country’s fire season longer and much more dangerous.

And Australia’s climate is definitely changing. According to the country’s Bureau of Meteorology, temperatures have already risen by more than one degrees Celsius since 1920 - with much of the increase taking place since 1950.

.../...

C_S
Sergeant Major

Re: Australia is burning

#2 Post by C_S » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:45 pm

LaP, I've always respected your intelligence, comprehension, opinion. Please don't tell me ur buying into this global climate change bull shit.

The answer isn't that the Earth moves around a gigantic ball of nuclear fire that we know never burns at a consistent - it's a guy driving his work truck causing it the Earth to cool/warm/change the climate. For fuck sakes. A guy who needs to get whatever he makes taxed and given to fucking politician morons who can't do a fucking thing about it.

Why aren't taxes being raised to fix the magnetic north pole shifting? It's b/c nothing can be done about it and taxing ppl to fix it, and it can't be fixed, is going to cause this whole Glabal werming bullshit climiat change bull shit to collapse.

For crying out fucking loud, LaP
This post is not a legal document under any circumstance. It has not been prepared at all and is written offhand in jest while mentally impaired.
Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of a psychoanalyst.

LaPalice
Staff Sergeant

#3 Post by LaPalice » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:58 pm

C_S wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:45 pm
LaP, I've always respected your intelligence, comprehension, opinion. Please don't tell me ur buying into this global climate change bull shit.

The answer isn't that the Earth moves around a gigantic ball of nuclear fire that we know never burns at a consistent - it's a guy driving his work truck causing it the Earth to cool/warm/change the climate. For fuck sakes. A guy who needs to get whatever he makes taxed and given to fucking politician morons who can't do a fucking thing about it.

Why aren't taxes being raised to fix the magnetic north pole shifting? It's b/c nothing can be done about it and taxing ppl to fix it, and it can't be fixed, is going to cause this whole Glabal werming bullshit climiat change bull shit to collapse.

For crying out fucking loud, LaP
Even if I am not sure 100%, I think that climate change is probable. Can we do something about it? I think that the human being is not able to do anything to change that. Taxes will not work. Macron, one years ago, tried to institute a carbon tax on gas. That gave the yellow vest movement, and the government was forced to delete the tax. Trump, at that moment, said that the protests in France showed very well that it was impossible to do anything, and he was right. So no, I don't think that taxes will resolve anything about climate change.

Mac
First Sergeant

#4 Post by Mac » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:04 pm

In the 60's they said we were going to run out of oil, in the 70's they said we were heading into another Ice Age, in the 80's they said we were going to destroy the o-zone layer and were all going to die from cancer. None of these things actually happened but they were all reasons to raise taxes. I think I can see a pattern.
I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution
I could be an inmate in a long-term institution
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die
I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Gump
Staff Sergeant

#5 Post by Gump » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:05 pm

I don't think anyone can witness what's going on in most of the world and believe that humans have no affect on the planet. Of course we do... how those effects will manifest themselves over time in anyone's guess. Anyone that claims to know what will happen is simply lying.

Some places will benefit greatly... others will not..... none of it means impending doom.... only change... people will simply need to adapt to slightly different conditions... it's a mistake to allow the hyperbole to affect your happiness...

Anthropoid
Sergeant Major
Location: marching home to [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAzVYCs4BMY]Erica[/url]

#6 Post by Anthropoid » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:06 pm

Climate change is real and has been ongoing for as long as the geological record, or most of it anyway. The catch is: given climate change is a proven fact of Earth's geological history, why do NONE of the models that purport to show anthropogenic factors moderating climate change offer any analyses of how those anthropogenic factors are interacting with pre-existing natural climate change forces?

Until I see an exhaustive and compelling analysis that does that, I cannot take any anthropogenic climate change model seriously.

Mac
First Sergeant

#7 Post by Mac » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:46 pm

Here is the real reason why Australia is burning...
Australia’s rampant and destructive wildfires were started by arson, and fueled by dry conditions and high temperatures, but you’d never know it from the Golden Globes or mainstream media outlets.

In November, a teenage volunteer firefighter from New South Wales was charged with setting 7 bushfires in the region, and then returning with his brigade to fight them. Apparently, he has set 17 fires, and the pyromaniac has now been barred from access to any firefighting equipment.

“When one country faces a climate disaster, we all face a climate disaster,” Cate Blanchett said.

Meanwhile, Russell Crowe’s statement at the Golden Globes, read aloud by Jennifer Anniston, stated that “the tragedy unfolding in Australia is climate change based. We need to act based on science, move our global workforce to renewable energy, and respect our planet for the unique and amazing place it is. That way, we all have a future.”

Switching the script, Joaquin Phoenix took personal responsibility for his own actions, and advocated for a plant-based diet. “It’s great to vote, but sometimes we have to take that responsibility on ourselves and make changes and sacrifices in our own lives and hope that we can do that. We don’t have to take private jets to Palm Springs for the awards. I’ll try to do better, and I hope you will too.”

Australia’s rampant and destructive wildfires were started by arson, and fueled by dry conditions and high temperatures, but you’d never know it from the Golden Globes or mainstream media outlets.

In November, a teenage volunteer firefighter from New South Wales was charged with setting 7 bushfires in the region, and then returning with his brigade to fight them. Apparently, he has set 17 fires, and the pyromaniac has now been barred from access to any firefighting equipment.

“When one country faces a climate disaster, we all face a climate disaster,” Cate Blanchett said.

Meanwhile, Russell Crowe’s statement at the Golden Globes, read aloud by Jennifer Anniston, stated that “the tragedy unfolding in Australia is climate change based. We need to act based on science, move our global workforce to renewable energy, and respect our planet for the unique and amazing place it is. That way, we all have a future.”

Switching the script, Joaquin Phoenix took personal responsibility for his own actions, and advocated for a plant-based diet. “It’s great to vote, but sometimes we have to take that responsibility on ourselves and make changes and sacrifices in our own lives and hope that we can do that. We don’t have to take private jets to Palm Springs for the awards. I’ll try to do better, and I hope you will too.”

According to The Australian, “Police arrested 183 people for lighting bushfires across Queensland, NSW, Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania in the past few months. NSW police data shows 183 people have been charged or cautioned for bushfire-related offences since November 8, and 24 arrested for deliberately starting bushfires.”

That’s 183 people who have been arrested for arson, resulting in catastrophic bushfires, displacement, property loss, and deaths of both people and animals.

So why do so many Hollywood celebrities claim that the massive fires in Australia are a result of climate change? There’s a years’ long drought along Australia’s Gold Coast. There are rising temperatures. This has been the driest year on record, and the fire and cyclone seasons are just around the corner. But without those 183 arsonists arrested since August, these blazes would probably be substantially less bad.

Climate change, greenhouse gases, pollution, air quality, and other threats to life and quality of life are of course real concerns. But the predilection of media and stars to taking any tragedy and using it as a fulcrum for their own cause celeb does less to amplify the need for action and policy change, and more to highlight the myopia that makes the public at large roll their eyes. Extinction Rebellion, devotees of teen climate activist Greta Thunberg, and simplifications of complex issues make it easy for people to dismiss climate concerns as baseless. Stating facts and offering solutions will do more to convince people of the need for change than easily dismissable hyperbole.

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/austr ... te-change/
I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution
I could be an inmate in a long-term institution
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die
I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

nero
Sergeant Major

#8 Post by nero » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:28 pm

LaPalice wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:30 pm

Australia is burning - but why are the bushfires so bad and is climate change to blame?
Australia is no stranger to wildfires, but this season has been unprecedented in scale and intensity - and the summer is far from over.

So far at least 17 people have died in blazes that have swept the country, more than 1,200 homes have been destroyed and 5.5 million hectares (13.5 million acres) of land has been burnt.

So what has caused the blazes which have devastated huge swathes of the country?

Why are the fires so bad?
Australia’s deadly fires have been fuelled by a combination of extreme heat, prolonged drought and strong winds.

The country is in the grip of a heatwave, with record-breaking temperatures over the last three months. In mid-December the nation saw the hottest day in history - the average temperature was 41.9 degrees Celsius.

These conditions, which show few signs of abating in the next few weeks, have been accompanied by brisk winds which fan the flames and push the smoke across Australia’s major cities. On Monday wind speeds were recorded at 60 miles per hour.

All this follows the country’s driest spring since records began 120 years ago, with much of New South Wales and Queensland experiencing rainfall shortfalls since early 2017. Trees, shrubs and grasslands have turned into the perfect tinder for flames.

Has climate change caused the fires?
Bushfires are a regular feature in Australia’s calendar - often triggered by natural causes such as lightning strikes - and cannot be blamed on climate change or rising greenhouse gas emissions alone.

But experts say that the changing climate is key to understanding the ferocity of this years blazes - hotter, drier conditions are making the country’s fire season longer and much more dangerous.

And Australia’s climate is definitely changing. According to the country’s Bureau of Meteorology, temperatures have already risen by more than one degrees Celsius since 1920 - with much of the increase taking place since 1950.

.../...
No single event can attributed to climate change, many increased in incidences can be seen as results of other trends.

Here we have the obvious ignoramus assault presenting BS opinions.

But to answer your question there is one authoritative source: Image Australia's changing climate. ;)
A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses. -- Carlo M. Cipolla

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens. -- Friedrich Schiller

chijohnaok
Sergeant Major

#9 Post by chijohnaok » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:46 pm

Not surprisingly, „credible“ mainstream news sites are peddling fake news about the fires:

FAKE NEWS: ABC Peddles Hysterically Wrong Map of Australian Wildfires
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

C_S
Sergeant Major

#10 Post by C_S » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:48 pm

LaP, please only acknowledge the first of my post. I've known you a long time. You are liked and your opinion is respected. There have been times I've marveled at how wise your perception is. Your posts here have always been a good contribution.
This post is not a legal document under any circumstance. It has not been prepared at all and is written offhand in jest while mentally impaired.
Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of a psychoanalyst.