maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 225, 226, 227, 228, 229  Next
 Post subject: Re: Youtube Favorite of the Day
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:40 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
This is a video from a couple (Australians I believe) who are "cruisers", sailing a boat across the ocean blue.

This is a video from when they were island exploring in the Caribbean:

The found a sea turtle in a derelict building that some poachers had apparently caught and were saving to slaughter.

(It has a happy ending)

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:09 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18937
This is really good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:23 am 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
This is really good.

The video is indeed interesting IMHO.

Life today in that village is similar to how life was in my father's village in Transylvania 49 years ago when I visited there as a child.

---horse drawn wagons were still the default means of transporting things

---"making hay" (by hand) was how you got got fodder to feed the animals. How they did it with a hand scythe is exactly how my family did it.

---that man in the video is a beekeeper. My uncle did the same thing. Running a keekeeping gig on the side was an additional source of income for him (in fact, IIRC, I think he may have earned almost as much with his bees than he did from his regular job). My uncle though didn't have gloves or that sleeved shirt getup for protection...he had a hat with a net over it and then just wore normal clothing.

---I remember watching my grandmother milk the cows like that, sitting on a stool and milking into a bucket.

---That one horsepower taxi was the same model my dad's family used. ;)

---The cows in my dad's village were smarter than those you see at 13:59.
Every morning one man would 'gather' up the cows from the homesteads in the village and drive them to the pasture outside the village. At the end of the day he would drive them back. Once the cows got into the village they were smart enough to walk back to their "home" and walk through the front gate of their owner's house.

---at 15:01...the potato soup with sour cream....that is similar to what my mom made for us when we were kids.
And at 15:03, that is polenta. My mom made that when we were kids, and still does make it. I had some the last time that I visited them, and look forward to having polenta again when I visit for the holidays. :D

---at 15:20...that is like the "bathroom" was at grandma's house.

---at 16:40 they are grilling "Mititei or Mici" (mitch). My parents still make that during the summer and grill it outside.

Life today for the Szekler people, (Romania's Hungarian speaking minority) is very similar to what things were like when my parent's were children.
Life today in that village (minus the smartphones) is very similar to how things were 50 years ago, 100 years ago, 200 years ago. It would not surprise me if 50 years from now many things in that village were still the same as in that video.

A most excellent video Anthro.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:29 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18937
Undoubtedly there is some ugliness in that village, as there is in any human community of sufficient size. Also, life there is full of hardwork and probably gets tedious from time to time. With those points of reality acknowledged, my thought as I watched it was "Can we go back?"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:59 am 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
Undoubtedly there is some ugliness in that village, as there is in any human community of sufficient size. Also, life there is full of hardwork and probably gets tedious from time to time. With those points of reality acknowledged, my thought as I watched it was "Can we go back?"

That lifestyle is NOT easy.
There is lots of hard work involved in it.
Most of what you ate was the product of your own hands.
The little market in the village (probably smaller than the general store that you see in tv westerns) sold basics like salt and sugar.
For flour you had to take the grain that you grew down to the village mill for it to be ground into wheat
Something similar to this:

and then this:

Most everything else (milk, cheese, bread, meats, fruits and vegetables, etc) you either grew yourself or traded with another person in the village who did grow/produce that product.

When my parents were kids their villages didn't have a doctor (and I doubt either mom or dad's village has a doctor today). There was a midwife who would help out with births.
If you needed to see a doctor, it was 9.5 km to the closest town (Rupea) with a doctor. That trip of course had to be made with the one horsepower taxi.
Rupea is a town of around 5,000 people today. (the population of my dad's town now(2011) is about 445 people. When my dad was still there the population was in the mid 600s).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:20 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 682
This time something that might interest Anthro, our resident cave man.

I like the music. :lol:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens. -- Friedrich Schiller

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:58 am 
Sergeant Major

A Scotsman Goes To America - Yankee Doodle Dankee

Count Dankula made a trip to the US in August. He visited Chicago (with a side trip to Indiana), Los Angeles, Texas, and Philadelphia.

His description of the heat in Texas is hilarious.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:22 am 
Sergeant Major

Chubby pink-skinned guy with a beard walking around in Texas August heat...what could go wrong?

He goes to Hollywood and then walks East. :lol: If he had walked West he would have been in Beverly Hills.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:02 am 
Sergeant Major

Not a YT but amusing nonetheless:

https://www.weaselzippers.us/439232-ove ... e-outside/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:31 pm 
Sergeant Major

Two guys in NY City Chinatown walking around having fun with the local merchants...

White Guys Bargain in Perfect Mandarin at Chinese Market, Amaze Vendors

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 225, 226, 227, 228, 229  Next