It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Illinois wants to evict Chicago
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:38 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 4768
https://www.governing.com/topics/politi ... tates.html

Quote:
The state division hit a breaking point several years ago, when Illinois was mired in the longest fiscal stalemate in the United States since the Great Depression. The budget battle between Democratic lawmakers and then-Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner lasted more than two years, threatening public university accreditation, statewide road construction and “junk” credit ratings.

Halbrook blamed the impasse on Chicago-area Democrats.

“Everywhere I go, people say we just need to get rid of Chicago,” he told Stateline. “It gets rid of all of our problems. My constituency is serious about it. I’m trying to save the state.”

Of course this will never happen. Shitcago could never fund it's corrupt welfare plantation without extorting money from the rest of the state.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Illinois wants to evict Chicago
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:10 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16552
Quote:
... Illinois wants to evict Chicago ...

haha ... I figured it would be the other way around ... but which ever way ... sounds like a good idea ... the folks I know that live in Southern Ill. call it "the occupied territories" ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:40 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 12189
I'm not real sure that if you made Chicago a separate city-state that Illinois might go Republican.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:57 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 19875
nelmsm wrote:
I'm not real sure that if you made Chicago a separate city-state that Illinois might go Republican.

Both Senators are Dems. A new state might add 2 Republican Senators. Plus it would likely result in Electoral College votes for Dems decreasing. For this reason alone it is unlikely to happen.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:11 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18312
"Shitcago" :lol: :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:23 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
jack t ripper wrote:
nelmsm wrote:

Both Senators are Dems. A new state might add 2 Republican Senators. Plus it would likely result in Electoral College votes for Dems decreasing. For this reason alone it is unlikely to happen.

I have a feeling that Democrats would only agree with that if there was an agreement on changing the structure of the Senate:

The Path to Give California 12 Senators, and Vermont Just One

This guy calls for a minimum of 1 Senator per state and a pool of the rest apportioned out based on each state’s population. So more populous states, like California, get many Senators and small states will only get 1.

Or they might insist that DC also be made a state and get 2 Senators (which would make a rump Republican Illinois a wash).

I’m not in favor of that.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:24 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16552
If you apportion senators to states based on population ... well .. we already have that .. its called the HOOOSE ... :D ... so you wouldn't need two hoooses !!??

Turning the senate into the second hoose, does two things:

01 - Destroys the senate, the whole idea of the senate ... hecque the whole idea of states ... don't really need states any more ...

02 - Destroys the electoral college. A states electors are the sum of the states hoose people plus the states senators ... like wyoming has 3 electors .. .2 senators and 1 hoose person ... I guess it would go down to 1+1 ...

This sort of idea would be a new constitution ... and new gangland ... and not a place I would want to be a part of ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:24 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16928
If constitutional change is on the table it is the House of Reps that Id restructure, not the Senate.

Every state would get two reps. One hundred more would be apportioned by population according to districts that encompass roughly the same number of people. It means that places lik NY and LA would have small districts and flyover country must have districts that span multiple states. So the latter are more like at-large members that represent people with a common interest across state lines. House terms woul be four years not the "always looking for the next contribution" scheme that thw 2-year term perpetuates.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:22 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18312
mdiehl wrote:
If constitutional change is on the table it is the House of Reps that Id restructure, not the Senate.

Every state would get two reps. One hundred more would be apportioned by population according to districts that encompass roughly the same number of people. It means that places lik NY and LA would have small districts and flyover country must have districts that span multiple states. So the latter are more like at-large members that represent people with a common interest across state lines. House terms woul be four years not the "always looking for the next contribution" scheme that thw 2-year term perpetuates.

Hmmmm, now that DOES sound rather interesting . . .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:18 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 7233
Illinois can do that if they want and screw themselves. Chicago tax revenue is used to subsidize the rural areas of the state. Chicago is a net payer of tax revenue...

Profile E-mail