maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 984 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Crusade continues - illegal immigration
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:40 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 11419
chijohnaok wrote:
http://dailycaller.com/2017/04/28/baltimore-states-attorney-tells-prosecutors-to-ease-off-illegal-immigrants/

Quote:
Baltimore State’s Attorney Tells Prosecutors To Ease Off Illegal Immigrants

WILL RACKE
4:42 PM 04/28/2017

The Baltimore State’s Attorney’s Office wants prosecutors to reconsider charging illegal immigrants with non-violent crimes if they believe doing so will trigger “collateral consequences” that lead to deportation.

Chief Deputy State’s Attorney Michael Schatzow told his staff that tough immigration enforcement policies under the Trump administration increase the likelihood that federal authorities will target illegal immigrants convicted of minor offenses.

The Justice Department’s deportation efforts “have increased the potential collateral consequences to certain immigrants of minor, non-violent criminal conduct,” Schatzow wrote in a memo obtained Thursday by the Baltimore Sun.

“In considering the appropriate disposition of a minor, non-violent criminal case, please be certain to consider those potential consequences to the victim, witnesses, and the defendant,” he added.

The memo follows a similar order from the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office, which on Monday said it will implement new prosecution guidelines in order to shield illegal immigrants accused of minor crimes from deportation. Acting Brooklyn DA Eric Gonzalez said his office will maintain an “immigration-neutral disposition” by allowing illegal immigrant defendants to plead down to minor crimes that wouldn’t normally qualify as grounds for deportation. (RELATED: Brooklyn DA Changes Prosecution Rules To Protect Illegal Immigrants)

President Donald Trump has cracked down on illegal immigration in his first three months in office, stepping up detention and removal of aliens with criminal records of any kind. The Department of Homeland Security in February issued guidance that there are no longer “classes or categories of removable aliens” exempt from potential enforcement, including deportation.

The administration also has threatened to withhold federal grants from sanctuary cities, but Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh says Baltimore is not a sanctuary city because it doesn’t operate its own jail and doesn’t make decisions about whether to hold people charged with immigration crimes, the Sun reported.

Baltimore was not among a group of eight cities the Justice Department said could funding cuts because of their lack of cooperation with immigration authorities.

The state’s attorney’s memo comes as Baltimore suffers through its worst wave of violence in nearly 20 years. The city has already racked up 101 murders, a 30 percent increase from the same time period a year ago. The last time Baltimore had 100 murders before the end of April was in 1998. (RELATED: Baltimore Is Begging Feds To Step In To Restore Law And Order)

Pugh said Wednesday that she has asked the FBI for additional agents to help an understaffed Baltimore Police Department get a grip on the runaway violence.

So if you read through the lines it comes down to this:
The Baltimore Prosecutor does not want his office prosecuting illegal aliens for minor offenses---let them go.
What he does not say is that his office WILL continue prosecuting legal aliens and US citizens for those same sorts of offenses.

Illegals get a pass, legals and US citizens do not.

What a pack of turds, these 'Sanctuary City' assholes.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:44 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 8297
I still don't get why they don't bring them up on charges. It must be illegal to thwart Federal justice, no?

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:06 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 11419
Anthropoid wrote:
I still don't get why they don't bring them up on charges. It must be illegal to thwart Federal justice, no?

I think it has some intertwined Federal->State jurisdictional issues. "States Rights" and such.

I suppose it's fine to use that excuse. Which is all it is - a convenient excuse for them to try ignoring federal law. The Democrats usually try to assail such notions as States Rights, but I guess this is one of the few examples that fits their requirement. :roll:

However, they have their one major aforementioned weakness. The Fed doesn't necessarily have to give these cities, which are refusing to enforce or cooperate with federal law enforcement, their huge subsidies. These metro areas are getting big money from the Fedgov. I get the impression it's fairly easy to pull that money, without requiring much effort, if they refuse to cooperate. I say do it.

Otherwise it will just be more little court battles, with each offending city, going back & forth for a long time.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:15 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13043
NefariousKoel wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:

I think it has some intertwined Federal->State jurisdictional issues. "States Rights" and such.

I suppose it's fine to use that excuse. Which is all it is - a convenient excuse for them to try ignoring federal law. The Democrats usually try to assail such notions as States Rights, but I guess this is one of the few examples that fits their requirement. :roll:

However, they have their one major aforementioned weakness. The Fed doesn't necessarily have to give these cities, which are refusing to enforce or cooperate with federal law enforcement, their huge subsidies. These metro areas are getting big money from the Fedgov. I get the impression it's fairly easy to pull that money, without requiring much effort, if they refuse to cooperate. I say do it.

Otherwise it will just be more little court battles, with each offending city, going back & forth for a long time.

It is probably not as easy as you think it may might be.

All you need is to get one judge from the 9nth Circuit to issue a temporary restraining order against it and that results in an immediate hold on it. Then the Feds have to start the long process of appealing it; in the meantime the spigot of federal funds to the sanctuary cities remains open. Just look at what happened when Trump (repeatedly) tried to implement his Executive Order on immigration.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:11 pm 
First Sergeant

chijohnaok wrote:
NefariousKoel wrote:

It is probably not as easy as you think it may might be.

All you need is to get one judge from the 9nth Circuit to issue a temporary restraining order against it and that results in an immediate hold on it. Then the Feds have to start the long process of appealing it; in the meantime the spigot of federal funds to the sanctuary cities remains open. Just look at what happened when Trump (repeatedly) tried to implement his Executive Order on immigration.

In truth, I have not kept up with any of that. What is the actual status? Does anyone actually know? How is it known?

Are travelers who would not have been allowed entry were the order(s) in effect actually making entry? Can ANYONE say with absolutely certainty? Would anyone who can say with absolute certainty WANT to say with absolute certainty?

I'm not making any assumptions about what is or what is not happening, and I'm also not necessarily opposed to "checks and balances" on executive power. The system was designed that way for a reason, though obviously not all efforts to check or balance executive power are equally legit. From what I read about the thing early on, the specifics of the 9th decision seemed fairly narrow in scope. Specifically they applied ONLY to students of publicly funded institutions from foreign nations who were accepted at those institutions.

Okay, so rewrite the Executive Order to allow caveats for those persons, and put it out the next day (or as soon as possible). If that is not what was done I'm a bit baffled why not. The point presumably was to get travel from those locations more restricted, not to simply make a show boat demonstration of "trying" and then to give up or perhaps let it slide till it is all worked out in court/negotiations.

If Trump and his crew did not anticipate exactly this type of litigious struggle long before they started campaigning then shame on them. After 8 years of Obama ninnies getting their every whim fulfilled, it is only sensible to have preconceived that any efforts to do the more objectionable things Trump campaigned on would be met with resistance.

Anyway . . . at worst, I suppose that the "issues" of immigration have been brought more clearly into the public discourse so even if the matter is effectively left at status quo from Obama days I suppose there is some net benefit from that.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:06 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 9811
American judges seem to have a very curious concept of what the law is.

"Be ye never so high, the law is above you" - but these guys are just making it up as they go along it seems half the time.

"The British have always fought, to be sure. No nation on Earth can be taken seriously in historical circles unless it has had at least one war with the British; it's like not having an American Express card."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:20 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 8465
I have one attorney friend ... whose quote I like ...

"The law is what a given judge, on a given day, for a given purpose, says it is."

I think (unfortunately) that sums it up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:22 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13043
EUBanana wrote:
American judges seem to have a very curious concept of what the law is.

"Be ye never so high, the law is above you" - but these guys are just making it up as they go along it seems half the time.

It does sometimes seem that way.

The "laws" in the United States can be complicated at times.

You have "federal" laws and you have "state" laws; and along with that you have federal and state judges to adjudicate those federal and state laws.

Federal judges are appointed by the US President (normally for a life term). Their appointment is confirmed by the US Senate.
These judges are (supposedly) learned men qualified at their position (but that may or may not always be the case). They are not supposed to be "political" but that may not always hold to be true.

State judges are most times an elected position. They are confirmed by no one (other than the voters). In some cases there may not even be an official requirement that they have a law degree (although I think that they almost always do). Their terms are not usually life terms as with federal judges.

In Florida (where I currently live) judges are elected in non-partisan elections. They generall serve a 6 year term before they have to run for re-election.

In Illinois (where I was born and grew up) some judges are elected while others are appointed. Their party will campaign for them with printed campaign materials, etc. This of course leads to the implication that they may be beholden to their political masters. The lowest level (circuit) judges are elected to 6 year terms in partisan elections. Mid-level (Associate) judges are chosen by the circuit judges to 4 year terms. Illinois Supreme Court judges are elected for a term of ten years.

Based on my personal experience living in these two states, you rarely (if ever) know anything about these judges that you are voting for. There are too many of them; you may get a political mailer from them before the election asking for your vote. Unless one of these judges running for election has served in a major case that turns into a clusterfuck, or has done something else to have gained notariety in the media (taken a bribe, committed a major crime, etc) they pretty much fly under the radar. I hate to think that I am voting for someone without knowing anything about them, but that is the sad fact. In some elections I have simply skipped the votes for judges because I didn't feel like voting for someone that I knew nothing about.

On top of all this you also sometimes have municipal (or city) courts that hear cases on things like traffic offenses or other violations of city/municipal code).

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:55 pm 
Oppressive Tyrant and Enemy of Truth

Reputation points: 11682
I'm fairly certain Chiteng is dead, but he would be happy to know his thread lives on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:57 pm 
First Sergeant

doggie wrote:
I'm fairly certain Chiteng is dead, but he would be happy to know his thread lives on.

What makes you say he is dead?

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 984 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99  Next