Open all night
It is currently Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pats 9th Superbowl
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:30 am 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 4073
OK, I get it a lot of people hate the Pats.....But, you can't argue with 9 Superbowls and 8 straight AFC Championship games. They went to KC, sub freezing temps and the gods gift to loud fans and....won. Brady's 12th 4th quarter or OT game winning drive in the playoffs...must be because they taped the practices or taped the games or deflated the balls (by the way, has anyone seen the data from the NFL on ball pressure....no, because whatever they recorded did not align with whatever they were accusing Brady of). I wanted Saints vs Pats, but I'll settle for beating up the Rams to put to bed all those accusations. GO PATS!!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pats 9th Superbowl
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:29 am 
Corporal

Reputation points: 1240
They still need 13 NFL Championships to beat Green Bay.

A ways to go...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:39 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16959
It probably has to do with 95% of Americans finding New Englanders to be insular, arrogant, self-important pricks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:07 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16053
Well, to be sure you ran afoul of the most self-entitled crew you could encounter in Massachusetts: State Employees. Just sayin. ;)

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:30 pm 
Corporal

Anthropoid wrote:
It probably has to do with 95% of Americans finding New Englanders to be insular, arrogant, self-important pricks.

I admit we have our arrogant pricks, most of whom are know it all college professors and politicians.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:35 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 19226
When NFL ratings are crap, have a couple 'close' playoffs w/ questionable officiating. I can't believe ppl still watch this WWF shit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:07 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16959
HancockTheSuperb wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:

I admit we have our arrogant pricks, most of whom are know it all college professors and politicians.

I was very impressed by how much the blue collar folks in the Pioneer valley (as well as Springfield area, and locations to the west and north of Pioneer valley) reminded me of any blue collar person I had ever met from the Midwest or even the south.

I was also impressed when, one day as one of my colleagues and I were driving together (I think maybe I was driving her to the airport and so part of the journey was on two lane rural MA back roads) I commented how remarkably similar the physiography, architecture, and human geography (how side roads, houses, businesses, etc. were arranged) of the Massachusetts flanks of the Appalachian range reminded me of northeastern Alabama. Honestly a purely anthropological comment hinged on the principle I had learned from school (from one of my cultural anthropology profs) that the physiographic and climatic features of a landscape can have remarkable "determining" forces on how humans decided to live and subsist there.

This woman, a National Academy of Sciences member, who is supposedly of open mind and sound scientific perspective was obviously SHOCKED! that I would draw any favorable comparison between such a backward hinterland (probably full of racists and inbred mongoloids) as Alabama and her beloved Northeast :mrgreen:

So yeah, I agree: most Northeasterners probably aren't so bad. Problem is, your "inter-regional representatives" with the rest of the country don't do such a good job of conveying that "we're just American as you guys!"

It is understandable that the northeast would be prone to being a bit "full of itself" given how the events of 1861 to 1865 played out, as well as the reconstruction, and all the way into the 1950s. But at this stage, the sense of superiority and exclusivity that is so common among the "learned Castes" of your region is just about as false and misplaced as it could be. I guess Boston is doing too bad, but all across the northeast: rust belt is the rule. Contrast that with the Sun Belt, where a new era of prosperity, diversity and enlightenment is dawning :mrgreen:

Its a shame when a handsome old dame cannot just age gracefully and pass the baton to her younger sister . . .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:36 am 
Corporal

Anthropoid wrote:
I was very impressed by how much the blue collar folks in the Pioneer valley (as well as Springfield area, and locations to the west and north of Pioneer valley) reminded me of any blue collar person I had ever met from the Midwest or even the south....

.....So yeah, I agree: most Northeasterners probably aren't so bad. Problem is, your "inter-regional representatives" with the rest of the country don't do such a good job of conveying that "we're just American as you guys!"

It is understandable that the northeast would be prone to being a bit "full of itself" given how the events of 1861 to 1865 played out, as well as the reconstruction, and all the way into the 1950s. But at this stage, the sense of superiority and exclusivity that is so common among the "learned Castes" of your region is just about as false and misplaced as it could be. I guess Boston is doing too bad, but all across the northeast: rust belt is the rule. Contrast that with the Sun Belt, where a new era of prosperity, diversity and enlightenment is dawning :mrgreen:

Its a shame when a handsome old dame cannot just age gracefully and pass the baton to her younger sister . . .

Glad you had the chance to get a taste of what is in reality a lot of the NE landscape, both geographically and from a people standpoint. Maine and New Hampshire would provide similar experience, particularly as you travel further north.

Having been born in the Midwest to a Birmingham mother and Michigan father (and traveling extensively for business in both rural and urban southern environs), I have a bit of experience in both sections of the country. There are as many know-nothing caste members in the midwest as there are in New England. That includes those same "never left the campus" college professors (Remember that safe place raggedy ann in Missouri and others?) that seem to know what's best for the rest of us. Not to mention the white collar social elites that are as prevalent in the south as say in Newport, RI. And you might be surprised at the number of Trump policy supporters (as opposed to fans of the moron's inane, never ending rants) throughout the northeast. They are a silent but rather large group in this neck of the woods.

And to the topic of Patriots fans: Pats fans were the Brownies of the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. Long suffering, but crazy supportive of the lost cause. I remember my excitement in the late 60s when my Dad took me to a Pats-Chargers game at...wait for it...wait for it.... Harvard Stadium. No, that is not a typo; and yes that was a regular season game. So a lot of making up to do turned into what Belichick and Brady have accomplished. That will end soon, so I look forward to Mayfield/Browns and Mahomes/Chiefs having their chance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:15 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 437
HancockTheSuperb wrote:
OK, I get it a lot of people hate the Pats.....

I support New England, just because it is good to have some patriots in the White House, even for a short time (kudos Bill Maher). ;)

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:48 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16053
:mrgreen:

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits