maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: One Of Many Problems With Our "Education" System
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:57 am 
Offline
Hair in the soap
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:46 am
Posts: 19121
Reputation points: 18052
.. and the "administrators" within.

Grand jury indicts about 3 dozen educators in Atlanta Public Schools cheating scandal
Published March 30, 2013
Associated Press

ATLANTA – In another embarrassing blow to Atlanta public schools, nearly three dozen former educators, including the ex-superintendent, were indicted Friday in one of the nation's largest test cheating scandals.

Former Superintendent Beverly Hall faced charges including racketeering, false statements and theft because prosecutors said some of the bonuses she received were tied to falsified scores.


Hall retired just days before a state probe was released in 2011. She has long denied knowing about the cheating or ordering it.

During a news conference Friday, Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard provided examples of two students who demonstrated "the plight of many children" in the Atlanta school system. He described a third-grader who failed a benchmark exam and received the worst score in her reading class in 2006. The girl was held back, yet when she took a separate assessment test not long after, she passed with flying colors.

Howard said the girl's mother, Justina Collins, knew something was awry, but was told by school officials that the child simply was a good test-taker. The girl is now in ninth grade, reading at a fifth-grade level.

"I have a 15-year-old now who is behind in achieving her goal of becoming what she wants to be when she graduates. It's been hard trying to help her catch up," Collins said.

The criminal investigation lasted 21 months and the allegations date back to 2005. In addition to Hall, 34 people were indicted: four high-level administrators, six principals; two assistant principals; six testing coordinators; 14 teachers; a school improvement specialist and a school secretary.

All of the people named in the indictment face conspiracy charges. Other charges in the 65-count indictment include false statements and writings, false swearing, theft and influencing witnesses.

The investigation involved at least 50 schools as well as hundreds of interviews with school administrators, staff, parents and students. The district has about 50,000 students.

Howard would not directly answer a question about whether Hall led the conspiracy.

"What we're saying is that without her, this conspiracy could not have taken place," he said. "It would not have taken place if her actions had not made that possible."

Hall faces up to 45 years in prison, Howard said.

continued.....
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/30/gr ... latestnews

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: One Of Many Problems With Our "Education" System
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:32 am 
Offline
Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:46 am
Posts: 1398
Reputation points: 7743
I'm in no way justifying cheating by these teachers, but that said...

This is what happens when a teachers' job is held hostage to test grades. When your job depends on the outcome of these difficult, standardized tests which were created by New York/California think-tank businessmen with little to no experience in education, this is what happens.

When the teachers are made responsible for things well beyond their control (the kid not showing up for class thus affecting his overall grade, the failing kid being put in a class he has no business being in the first place - thank you "No Child Left Behind", the kid not doing the minimum assignment as dictated by his teacher which causes him to fail tests which then results in the teacher being put in the crosshairs) this is what happens.

When your school funding/teachers' pay and job depends on 'X' number of kids passing an incredibly difficult final test and the teachers already have more than they can handle:

1) crowd control in the classroom
2) lesson plans
3) "teaching to each child's individual needs" - and there are always more kids in the class than the actual class limit
4) teaching at the pace of the Core Curriculum - which means all kids have to learn at the same pace even though the daily schedule is constantly interrupted with picture taking, assemblies (that's a lot of stuff), school wide testing, fire drills, lockdown drills, tornado drills, absences, and on and on...
5) trying to get the kids to care when they don't (they know how to play the system...loopholes, if you will).
6) the fact that a large number of the kids cannot read at their designated grade level - they've just been passed along to become the next teacher's headache because they are not allowed to fail them.
7) dealing with the kids who don't speak English (whose households also don't speak English) who are expected to perform at the same level of English speaking students
8) mainstreaming of Special Needs children - you wanna see bullying?
9) not enough time to plan for the next school day at work which means bringing work home every night
10) despite "generous" funding and "generous" teacher pay, most teachers still have to buy basic supplies with their own money

That's not to mention that teachers have a paper limit, a copy limit, not enough books and workbooks for each child to have (they sometimes have to share), and not every family has a computer for virtual communication and activities.

And that's just off the top of my wife's head. She also doesn't condone what they did...but she can certainly sympathize in many ways.

_________________
Image

The bedfellows politics made are never strange. It only seems that way to those who have not watched the courtship.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: One Of Many Problems With Our "Education" System
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:26 pm 
Offline
buck private
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 15370
Reputation points: 11728
Don't know what they're doing, but they're doing something right, maybe we need to can adapt some of Finland's ideas in the US:
Quote:

Finland has an education system the US should envy – and learn from

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... om-finland
Finland's test scores top global charts, but the country doesn't obsess about tests like the US, and it pays teachers adequately
Education in Finland

_________________
Peasants hate you. As lord of your realm, you engaged in brutal treachery, and defended your land against marauding armies, they are still not happy. Maybe you shouldn't have poured hot oil on their heads?


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: One Of Many Problems With Our "Education" System
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:40 pm 
Offline
Staff Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:42 am
Posts: 3912
Location: France
Reputation points: 9407
abradley wrote:
Don't know what they're doing, but they're doing something right, maybe we need to can adapt some of Finland's ideas in the US:
Quote:

Finland has an education system the US should envy – and learn from

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... om-finland
Finland's test scores top global charts, but the country doesn't obsess about tests like the US, and it pays teachers adequately
Education in Finland

In France too, many people say that we should adapt Finnish ideas to our system. But to make that works, we should adopt the entire Finnish social system and transform France in another country. If you want that the Finnish system works for you, become Finn.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: One Of Many Problems With Our "Education" System
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:44 pm 
Offline
Oppressive Tyrant and Enemy of Truth
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:06 pm
Posts: 15460
Location: under the porch
Reputation points: 15843
Does Finland have a population where thirteen percent of the people have no intention of ever working and no interest in learning anything other than the lyrics to rap songs?

_________________
First, we must kill moose and squirrel


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: One Of Many Problems With Our "Education" System
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:16 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:26 am
Posts: 11537
Reputation points: 6762
Poindexter wrote:
I'm in no way justifying cheating by these teachers, but that said...

This is what happens when a teachers' job is held hostage to test grades. When your job depends on the outcome of these difficult, standardized tests which were created by New York/California think-tank businessmen with little to no experience in education, this is what happens.

When the teachers are made responsible for things well beyond their control (the kid not showing up for class thus affecting his overall grade, the failing kid being put in a class he has no business being in the first place - thank you "No Child Left Behind", the kid not doing the minimum assignment as dictated by his teacher which causes him to fail tests which then results in the teacher being put in the crosshairs) this is what happens.

When your school funding/teachers' pay and job depends on 'X' number of kids passing an incredibly difficult final test and the teachers already have more than they can handle:

1) crowd control in the classroom
2) lesson plans
3) "teaching to each child's individual needs" - and there are always more kids in the class than the actual class limit
4) teaching at the pace of the Core Curriculum - which means all kids have to learn at the same pace even though the daily schedule is constantly interrupted with picture taking, assemblies (that's a lot of stuff), school wide testing, fire drills, lockdown drills, tornado drills, absences, and on and on...
5) trying to get the kids to care when they don't (they know how to play the system...loopholes, if you will).
6) the fact that a large number of the kids cannot read at their designated grade level - they've just been passed along to become the next teacher's headache because they are not allowed to fail them.
7) dealing with the kids who don't speak English (whose households also don't speak English) who are expected to perform at the same level of English speaking students
8) mainstreaming of Special Needs children - you wanna see bullying?
9) not enough time to plan for the next school day at work which means bringing work home every night
10) despite "generous" funding and "generous" teacher pay, most teachers still have to buy basic supplies with their own money

That's not to mention that teachers have a paper limit, a copy limit, not enough books and workbooks for each child to have (they sometimes have to share), and not every family has a computer for virtual communication and activities.

And that's just off the top of my wife's head. She also doesn't condone what they did...but she can certainly sympathize in many ways.

Yup, it's poor policy with poor oversight. I was just having this argument with a friend of mine because he see teachers as parasites (because his soon to be ex-wife is a teacher). I explained to him that I believe we are too rigid in our education system. Not every kid learn the same way and not every kid can learn in the same environment. Tests only test how well you can remember something not how much you have learned. I'd rather give kids a verbal test. Something along the lines of what did you learn? What is your understanding of this concept? I think that would make kids think it through instead of just regurgitating facts that have no meaning to them.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: One Of Many Problems With Our "Education" System
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:14 pm 
Offline
Honorary Texan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:11 am
Posts: 9315
Location: Hole-in-the-Wall
Reputation points: 7648
Quote:
Yup, it's poor policy with poor oversight. I was just having this argument with a friend of mine because he see teachers as parasites (because his soon to be ex-wife is a teacher). I explained to him that I believe we are too rigid in our education system. Not every kid learn the same way and not every kid can learn in the same environment. Tests only test how well you can remember something not how much you have learned. I'd rather give kids a verbal test. Something along the lines of what did you learn? What is your understanding of this concept? I think that would make kids think it through instead of just regurgitating facts that have no meaning to them.

Mega horseshit.

The education system in America worked just fine until the schools were invaded with unionized teachers, welfare sprogs, hippies and illegal aliens.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: One Of Many Problems With Our "Education" System
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:19 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:50 pm
Posts: 29473
Location: West coast of the east coast
Reputation points: 20000
Slight tangent but still a problem with our education system in my book:

http://www.campusreform.org/blog/?ID=4698

Quote:
Prof at public univ under investigation for allegedly forcing students to make anti-gun posters

y Oliver Darcy, on Apr 09, 2013
A professor at a public university in Texas is under investigation from school administrators for allegedly forcing students in her graphic design class to create anti-gun posters for a personal anti-gun campaign she had launched.

Midwestern State University Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs Betty Stewart confirmed to Campus Reform Friday the school has launched an investigation into professor Jennifer Yucus’ conduct after a student filed an official complaint on Thursday.

According to the complaint, obtained by Campus Reform, the professor compelled students in her graphic design class to create artwork opposing firearms on campus and opposing pro-gun legislation currently pending before the Texas state legislature.

The professor then used the artwork students created online to publicize an anti-gun petition entitled “MSU is anti-Concealed Carry on Campus” and on a now deleted Facebook page opposing firearms, says the complaint.

“On Monday, April 1, around 7 PM (class was 5:30 – 8:20), Jennifer Yucus, Assistant Professor of Graphic Art/Design, compelled students from her Computers For Artists class to advocate in favor of a political petition opposing firearms on campus, in opposition to a pair of bills currently before the Texas legislature, using personal art materials and MSU resources,” reads the complaint.

“Several of my classmates were uncomfortable with the assignment and either quietly or openly expressed this,” it continues. “Professor Yucus asked students to rationalize objections by thinking of it as a job from an employer (or words to that effect).”

The complaint adds that Yucus “did require all works to include the URL to the petition” she had created and adds that students were photographed while crafting the posters to give the illusion of youth support.

“Professor Yucus took photos of her students in the process of drafting and creating the posters, but did not say how these would be used,” says the complaint. “The posters were then hung in the hallways of the Fain Arts building, giving the impression of student support.”

Some of the photos later appeared on an anti-gun Facebook page that appeared to have been created by Yucus. The page appeared to have been deleted after the complaint was filed, but Campus Reform was able to capture the posted images before they were removed.

According to the complaint, Yucus used her official university-issued e-mail address to later forward a URL to her petition to the entire class.

State law in Texas appears to forbid professors at public universities from using their authority to compel others to advocate for political causes.

“A state officer or employee may not use official authority… to interfere with or affect the result of an election or nomination of a candidate or to achieve any other political purpose,” reads subsection C of 556.004 of Government Code, Title 5, entitled “Open Government, Ethics.”

Stewart, told Campus Reform the university is taking the allegations very seriously.

“It is a serious offense,” she said. “My first step is to speak with student directly after reading the report that I received. Then I will speak with the professor.”

However, Stewart noted that throughout the duration of the investigation, professor Yucus will continue to remain on active duty and teach her classes.

“Yes, she will still be allowed to teach her students,” she said.

Follow the author of this article on Twitter: @oliverdarcy



Not the first time we have seen examples of teachers improperly introducing politics into the classroom.

_________________
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: One Of Many Problems With Our "Education" System
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:26 am 
Offline
Hair in the soap
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:46 am
Posts: 19121
Reputation points: 18052
Who says there is rampant political brainwashing going on in our universities?! :P

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: One Of Many Problems With Our "Education" System
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:57 pm 
Offline
PFC

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:18 pm
Posts: 142
Reputation points: 440
Common Currriculum should solve all our educational problems,you think?


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: wulfir and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group