maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1807 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shooting and Firearms
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:12 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 932
jwilkerson wrote:
Sounds like the eeee yeeew wants to tell the swiss to toss their guns in the melt pot ... even though the swiss are not in the eeee yeeewww ... :D

But unfortunately, it sounds like the swiss women favor using this as an opportunity to tell the men to toss their guns ... so turning out to be a gender wah ...
which couldn't happen in the ooosah or the eeee yeew ... since there are so many gendres in those other places ... :D

Quote:
...Swiss voters go to the polls on Sunday to decide whether to tighten up their gun laws to conform with European Union regulations.

The vote was 63.7% vs 36.3% for sticker gun laws.

Gun lobby misses its target as Swiss voters approve tougher gun control.

Ordnung muß sein.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:34 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16552
+1 for the swiss women !!

:D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:33 pm 
Sergeant Major

Articles about the swiss vote ... I first offer them without comment in the hopes that you will read some of them before expressing an opinion :D

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/directdemocracy/press-review_vote-reaction---the-swiss-prefer-schengen-to-guns-/44975472

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/vote-may-19--2019_gun-lobby-looks-set-to-miss-its-referendum-target/44960944

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/big-hurdle-remains_eu-welcomes-swiss-double-vote-on-guns-and-taxes/44976118

https://www.thelocal.ch/20190519/breaking-swiss-vote-to-tighten-gun-laws-safeguard-eu-relations

https://worldradio.ch/news/2019/05/20/swiss-gun-laws-to-be-tightened-after-public-vote/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:44 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
jwilkerson wrote:

It sounds as if the EU turned the screws on the Swiss...either vote this way or Schengen and it’s benefits to you are in jeopardy.

I wonder what the purpose is for the EU’s stance here?

I could speculate that the EU wants to limit access to weapons that are used in crimes and terrorist acts.
But where are the firearms used in such attacks coming from?
Not from Switzerland.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:57 am 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 12189
Hey jwilkerson, I see Texas has a bill to allow anyone to shoot feral hogs at any time without the need of a license. Should increase your hog hunting opportunities in visiting the Lone Star state.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:01 am 
Corporal

Reputation points: 1365
nelmsm wrote:
Hey jwilkerson, I see Texas has a bill to allow anyone to shoot feral hogs at any time without the need of a license. Should increase your hog hunting opportunities in visiting the Lone Star state.

That's pretty much true anywhere. In WI, you can do it with a small game license, unless on your own property where you can kill at will.

They're very destructive pests.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:15 pm 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
... Hey jwilkerson, I see Texas has a bill to allow anyone to shoot feral hogs at any time without the need of a license. Should increase your hog hunting opportunities in visiting the Lone Star state ...

I think the 5 day "special" non-resident license has cost me about $40 per trip ... way less than the gas, hotel and food bill when going to Texas :D
But nothing wrong with $0 license fee.

In Kansas once I turn 65, I can get lifetime hunting/fishing license for $42 one time payment ... I'm ready for that !!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:30 am 
Sergeant Major

2019-05-22
2045-2215
50F
3 MPH W

Goal: Night wind practice

Environment: No moon, some stars, but not all (partly cloudy). Very muddy, we had a week of rain and looking at most of another one on the way. Ground is more than saturated. On the 4-wheeler I felt like I was driving a boat on the low ground.

Equipment: 7.62(20) Stoner, NF 4-16x T3, UTC-x, RRS, M118LR, Kestrel 2500NV, Radius, Phone with Real AB, Helmet with Patrol, PVS-14 and PAS-29. Propane tank, torch and lighter. 4-wheeler.

Activity: For the past couple of months I've been doing wind practice several times a week during the day. Now it is time to try it at night. In current situation, I have steel targets at 500yds and 640yds from normal firing point. These are IPSC(2/3) with 12x18 body and 6x6 face. The scoring is as follows

distance / 1st rd hit / 2nd rd hit
250 1 0
500 2 1
500 Face 4 2
640 3 1.5
640 Face 6 3
750 4 2
1050 6 3

Sometimes, I scoot a little farther down the hill and set up in a clump of trees. And I did that tonight. That makes the targets 475yds and 620yds.

I heat both targets so I can see them with the thermal. I shoot off the RRS tripod.

Here's a pic showing both targets with the 4-16x on 4x. When shooting, I cranked up to 16x.

I could feel or see no wind. I dialed AB temp for the shot from 60F (from last time) to 50F for tonight. AB said 2.9 mils up for 475yds and no wind hold. I aimed center of mass and heard a hit. I could not see the target dance.
Next to aim at the face still 2.9 up. I was high, barely. I repeated and heard a hit.

For the 620yd target even with no wind AB said hold left 0.1 mils and 4.7 mils up. I ignored the 0.1 left. First shot was a miss. I held left for 2 MPH, second shot was a hit, I could hear it.
Then aimed a little higher for the face again holding left for 2 mph and heard a hit.

Packed up and headed down to the targets.

The first hit on the 475yd target was dead center. The face hit was to the right but good on elevation.

At the 620yd target both hits were on the face, which is ok. A hit anywhere on the target counts for the non-face shoot. But the hit must be on the face for a face shot. So the non-face shot was high, but still a hit. But I cannot tell which shot was which.

Summary/Results:

The score is

475 = 2 + 2
620 = 1.5 + 6

Total = 11.5 / 15 = 76.66

The avg for the day is 83% (from six prior outings since I've been keeping records like this). The avg with tonight's score is 82%. Haven't set the goal yet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:21 pm 
Sergeant Major

2019-05-31
1200-2000
60F
3 MPH S

Goal: Groups and Wind practice for SB004

Environment: Light overcast, keeping temps down, ground drier than it has been in weeks, but still impassably wet in some areas.

Equipment: REM700 SPS TAC AAC-SD barreled action (7.62(20) in McCree G-10 chassis, L&S Mk5 scope, Colt 155 Palma TMK, 7.62(16) "Grey Ghost stoner with Hornady 155 and M118LR.

Activity: SB004 out to shoot. Goal is to bring him up to speed on what I've learned in the past 7 months, since he's been out here. We spent most of the day at 100yds shooting groups and work on his fundamentals. But finished up in the field shooting steel at 500-640yds. In the house, I showed in new technique for trigger pull for both bolts and stoners. He practiced this dry firing on the RRS with both guns.

Then outside at 100yds started with the REM700/G-10 and fired groups with 20 rds. SB004 was getting 4 MOA groups at 100yds ... we took a break and walked and talked about possible issues. We switched to gun #2 the 7.62(16) stoner and he again got 4 moa groups with the first 20 rounds. Another walk and talk.
I think it is important to spend some time off the gun if you will shoot all day, regardless.
So back for another 20rds on the REM700 (by switching the guns back and forth, they have more time to cool off. As it was, we count to 60 between each shoot.
Again 4 moa groups. I decided to try the gun myself. First 2 rds were tight, third rd 8 inches right. Another try ... 3 rds progressively stringly 6 inches low and right. Checked all gear on the gun, suppressor, scope, action screws (we had the hardware to check with us), scope base. Nothing loose. I had a spare 30 cal suppressor so we swaped it. I tried a third group. Another wild group. That ruled out the suppressor.
I took the NF 7-35x T3 off my REM700 AXAI and tried that ... no joy, that ruled out broke scope.
We checked the torque on the scope base and the action screws again, no movement. Suppressor tight, stoock tight, bipod tight.
I downed the gun, I've have not encounted exactly this issue before. Not much left to be broke except the barrelled action.

Then we switched back to the 7.62(16) stoner. Thru two boxes of 20 rounds each, he was getting 2 MOA groups.

So, we then chronoed (with MSv3) the m118lr ammo on this gun with 20rds. And shot another 20rds to tune the zero. By this point it was 1900 and we headed out to the field.

At the 500yd FP, from prone SB004 could not see the targets, so he switched to the RRS, which he had never shot off before.

I had the Zeiss 10x45 with 3x multiplier on M190 tripd with 322rc2 head and zeiss bino mount as the 30x spotter.

SB004 had the 7.62(16) with xtr2 3-15x scr-mil, radius, atlas, omega, BO rings with raptar mount and my RRS.

==
thru lens view from zeiss 10x(3x) = 30x bino left barrel of 640yd targets. 12x24 silhouettes IPSC(2/3) 3/8 inch steel.

thru lens view from xtr2 3-15x scr-mil of same 640yd targets

==
SB004 standing beside his 3 hits (out of 3 shots) on 500yd target. Two "torsos" aimed at the torso and 1 "face" aimed at the face.

The torso, using 12 inch as the measure are 12/5 = 2.4 iphy targets, so well within his 2 iphy groups at 100yds.

==
For the 500yd targets, we had had him setup Real AB on his iphone. This is the second time he tried to use Real AB on an iphone. And the MV we keyed in was 2519, but the mv displayed was something like 3348, so the results were crazy. This happened before when he tried to use AB. So AB must have a bug on iphones. Anyway, we did a binary search to find the value key needed to key to get the MV at 0 yards to show correctly in the trajectory and within 10 guesses, we found it. So at least AB was usable.
AB said 3.4 up for 500yds. The wind was nil, so I said aim at the center of the target, 6 inches below the shoulder line with hold for 3.4 mils. We had forgot to finish setting the zero stop, which is a 2 step process for the xtr2, so he would have to hold these shots.
First round was a hit almost exactly at the POA, I could see it fine thru the Zeiss 30x left barrel I was using as my spotter.
I said fire another and it did and it was a hit as well, a bit higher and to the left. Then I asked if he wanted to try a "face" and he said "why not". Face for 500yds is 6/5 = 1.2 IPHY, so more of a challenge, but his shot was a hit I could see it fine.

Then we switched to the 640yd targets. Here his AB said up 5.3. So I said hold for 5.3 dead center, 6 inches below the shoulder line (using the height of the face at the measure for the 6 inches). Here 12/6.4 is 1.875 iphy. His first shot was a miss, with the 640yd targets we cannot see the misses because there is 100yds of woods and then a 20 foot high creek bank as the backstop. So I said repeat the shot. And he did and the target danced and the hit was on the left side of the neck. So, then I asked if he wanted to try a face on the other target and he did ... 5.3 up dead center on face ... and he got a hit ... which I got see fine. 6/6.4 = 0.9375 iphy, so maybe w bit of luck, but we will take what we can get.

Score: 2 + 2 + 4 + 1.5 + 6 = 15.5 out of
2+2+4+3+6=17
or 15.5/17 = 91% an amazing result !!

==

SB004 standing by his hits at 640yds. First round was a miss, but I told him to repeat and second (torso aimed) rd was a hit. right on the neck of the left target. The on the right target he aimed for the face and got it!

Summary/results: Given all the problems we had at 100yds, over half of which were ultimately not SB004's issues, the results in the field were very gratifying. What took me hundreds of hours of practice over the past 7 months, he was basically able to replicate in the field after 8 hours of work. :D

distance / 1st rd hit / 2nd rd hit
250 1 0
500 2 1
500 Face 4 2
640 3 1.5
640 Face 6 3
750 4 2
1050 6 3

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:55 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2019/06/0 ... ble-cause/

Quote:
Pennsylvania Supreme Court Rules Conceal Carry Isn’t Probable Cause

Posted at 6:00 pm on June 6, 2019 by Tom Knighton

Gun rights are generally considered second-class rights in this country, sometimes even in ostensibly pro-gun areas as well as in anti-gun hellholes like California or New Jersey.

Examples of how this is true were recounted by David French, including this one in a story over at National Review:

But perhaps the best expression of gun owners as second-class citizens under the Bill of Rights came from the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. The court ruled that police could frisk a person if they believed that the person carried a firearm, even if he possessed a concealed-carry permit. According to the court, “the danger justifying a protective frisk arises from the combination of a forced police encounter and the presence of a weapon, not from any illegality of the weapon’s possession” (emphasis added).

In a concurring opinion, a federal circuit-court judge actually typed these words:

The majority decision today necessarily leads to the conclusion that individuals who elect to carry firearms forego other constitutional rights, like the Fourth Amendment right to have law enforcement officers “knock-and-announce” before forcibly entering homes. . . . Likewise, it is difficult to escape the conclusion that individuals who choose to carry firearms necessarily face greater restriction on their concurrent exercise of other constitutional rights, like those protected by the First Amendment.

In plain English, this means gun owners must choose: carry their weapon and lose the full protections of the rest of the Bill of Rights, or never pick it up and enjoy your other rights. For people who live in high-crime areas, people who are often poor and sometimes nonwhite, this presents a wholly unacceptable dilemma. The people who have the most urgent need for self-defense find themselves facing the greater risk of the loss of their liberties.

Horrifying, if you think about it.

I mean, what if someone used that logic with regard to the First Amendment? Someone critical of the government could be subject to searches at a whim. Those who advocate for marijuana legalization could have their doors kicked in by the DEA. Gun dealers who vocally support the Second Amendment could find the ATF constantly auditing their records, convinced they’re up to something shady.

Exercising one right should not ever be considered grounds for infringing on other rights, but especially not one’s Fourth Amendment rights.

Luckily, French’s story isn’t just complaining about stuff like this. There’s good news.

You see, a Pennsylvania man was showing his firearm to someone else in a convenience store parking lot. There’s no mention of him wielding it in a threatening manner or anything. He most definitely didn’t rob the place. Someone just saw a dude with a gun and called the police, who sent pretty much everyone from the sounds of it. By then, the man by the name of Hicks was driving. He was subsequently pulled over and his vehicle searched. Police claimed they smelled alcohol on his breath and found a small amount of marijuana in his vehicle.

Now, all of this was predicated on the idea that he had a gun on his person. Not that he’d committed a crime, but that he was simply carrying a firearm.

Hicks challenged the legality of his arrest, as well he should have. French reports that the trial court argued, “possession of a concealed weapon in public creates a reasonable suspicion justifying an investigatory stop in order to investigate whether the person is properly licensed.”

Uh…no. Again, exercising one right does not mean you forego all of your other constitutional protections.

Luckily, the case went to the state supreme court where justice prevailed.

The state supreme court disagreed, holding that it could “find no justification for the notion that a police officer may infer criminal activity merely from an individual’s possession of a concealed firearm in public.” It continued:

Unless a police officer has prior knowledge that a specific individual is not permitted to carry a concealed firearm, and absent articulable facts supporting reasonable suspicion that a firearm is being used or intended to be used in a criminal manner, there simply is no justification for the conclusion that the mere possession of a firearm, where it lawfully may be carried, is alone suggestive of criminal activity.

This is exactly correct, and it’s buttressed by the plain constitutional truth that there exists “a first principle that lies at the heart of the Fourth Amendment — that the government may not target and seize specific individuals without any particular suspicion of wrongdoing, then force them to prove that they are not committing crimes.”

Precisely.

Without evidence of wrongdoing, there was no reason to initiate contact with Hicks in the first place. Possessing a firearm shouldn’t be sufficient reason to justify a stop. The Pennsylvania Supreme Court got this one right.

Thank goodness the PA State Supreme Court exhibited some sanity here.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1807 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181  Next