3 MPH S
Goal: Groups and Wind practice for SB004
Environment: Light overcast, keeping temps down, ground drier than it has been in weeks, but still impassably wet in some areas.
Equipment: REM700 SPS TAC AAC-SD barreled action (7.62(20) in McCree G-10 chassis, L&S Mk5 scope, Colt 155 Palma TMK, 7.62(16) "Grey Ghost stoner with Hornady 155 and M118LR.
Activity: SB004 out to shoot. Goal is to bring him up to speed on what I've learned in the past 7 months, since he's been out here. We spent most of the day at 100yds shooting groups and work on his fundamentals. But finished up in the field shooting steel at 500-640yds. In the house, I showed in new technique for trigger pull for both bolts and stoners. He practiced this dry firing on the RRS with both guns.
Then outside at 100yds started with the REM700/G-10 and fired groups with 20 rds. SB004 was getting 4 MOA groups at 100yds ... we took a break and walked and talked about possible issues. We switched to gun #2 the 7.62(16) stoner and he again got 4 moa groups with the first 20 rounds. Another walk and talk.
I think it is important to spend some time off the gun if you will shoot all day, regardless.
So back for another 20rds on the REM700 (by switching the guns back and forth, they have more time to cool off. As it was, we count to 60 between each shoot.
Again 4 moa groups. I decided to try the gun myself. First 2 rds were tight, third rd 8 inches right. Another try ... 3 rds progressively stringly 6 inches low and right. Checked all gear on the gun, suppressor, scope, action screws (we had the hardware to check with us), scope base. Nothing loose. I had a spare 30 cal suppressor so we swaped it. I tried a third group. Another wild group. That ruled out the suppressor.
I took the NF 7-35x T3 off my REM700 AXAI and tried that ... no joy, that ruled out broke scope.
We checked the torque on the scope base and the action screws again, no movement. Suppressor tight, stoock tight, bipod tight.
I downed the gun, I've have not encounted exactly this issue before. Not much left to be broke except the barrelled action.
Then we switched back to the 7.62(16) stoner. Thru two boxes of 20 rounds each, he was getting 2 MOA groups.
So, we then chronoed (with MSv3) the m118lr ammo on this gun with 20rds. And shot another 20rds to tune the zero. By this point it was 1900 and we headed out to the field.
At the 500yd FP, from prone SB004 could not see the targets, so he switched to the RRS, which he had never shot off before.
I had the Zeiss 10x45 with 3x multiplier on M190 tripd with 322rc2 head and zeiss bino mount as the 30x spotter.
SB004 had the 7.62(16) with xtr2 3-15x scr-mil, radius, atlas, omega, BO rings with raptar mount and my RRS.
thru lens view from zeiss 10x(3x) = 30x bino left barrel of 640yd targets. 12x24 silhouettes IPSC(2/3) 3/8 inch steel.
thru lens view from xtr2 3-15x scr-mil of same 640yd targets
SB004 standing beside his 3 hits (out of 3 shots) on 500yd target. Two "torsos" aimed at the torso and 1 "face" aimed at the face.
The torso, using 12 inch as the measure are 12/5 = 2.4 iphy targets, so well within his 2 iphy groups at 100yds.
For the 500yd targets, we had had him setup Real AB on his iphone. This is the second time he tried to use Real AB on an iphone. And the MV we keyed in was 2519, but the mv displayed was something like 3348, so the results were crazy. This happened before when he tried to use AB. So AB must have a bug on iphones. Anyway, we did a binary search to find the value key needed to key to get the MV at 0 yards to show correctly in the trajectory and within 10 guesses, we found it. So at least AB was usable.
AB said 3.4 up for 500yds. The wind was nil, so I said aim at the center of the target, 6 inches below the shoulder line with hold for 3.4 mils. We had forgot to finish setting the zero stop, which is a 2 step process for the xtr2, so he would have to hold these shots.
First round was a hit almost exactly at the POA, I could see it fine thru the Zeiss 30x left barrel I was using as my spotter.
I said fire another and it did and it was a hit as well, a bit higher and to the left. Then I asked if he wanted to try a "face" and he said "why not". Face for 500yds is 6/5 = 1.2 IPHY, so more of a challenge, but his shot was a hit I could see it fine.
Then we switched to the 640yd targets. Here his AB said up 5.3. So I said hold for 5.3 dead center, 6 inches below the shoulder line (using the height of the face at the measure for the 6 inches). Here 12/6.4 is 1.875 iphy. His first shot was a miss, with the 640yd targets we cannot see the misses because there is 100yds of woods and then a 20 foot high creek bank as the backstop. So I said repeat the shot. And he did and the target danced and the hit was on the left side of the neck. So, then I asked if he wanted to try a face on the other target and he did ... 5.3 up dead center on face ... and he got a hit ... which I got see fine. 6/6.4 = 0.9375 iphy, so maybe w bit of luck, but we will take what we can get.
Score: 2 + 2 + 4 + 1.5 + 6 = 15.5 out of
or 15.5/17 = 91% an amazing result !!
SB004 standing by his hits at 640yds. First round was a miss, but I told him to repeat and second (torso aimed) rd was a hit. right on the neck of the left target. The on the right target he aimed for the face and got it!
Summary/results: Given all the problems we had at 100yds, over half of which were ultimately not SB004's issues, the results in the field were very gratifying. What took me hundreds of hours of practice over the past 7 months, he was basically able to replicate in the field after 8 hours of work.
distance / 1st rd hit / 2nd rd hit
250 1 0
500 2 1
500 Face 4 2
640 3 1.5
640 Face 6 3
750 4 2
1050 6 3