maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shooting and Firearms
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:45 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14552
Blankets are readily available. Not moving is a readily available option. Reducing one's thermal signature is not rocket science. The Taliban were doing a pretty good job of it from the get go in Afghanistan.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:31 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18382

"That's Chicken, ptf, tell by his signature he's vaping Grape Ape. He's no threat target just ignore im."

This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:25 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6010
jwilkerson wrote:
Blankets are readily available. Not moving is a readily available option. Reducing one's thermal signature is not rocket science. The Taliban were doing a pretty good job of it from the get go in Afghanistan.

Hiding under a blanket might work in a very limited situation.. but what about being out and moving at night ? I assume you're walking around fully covered with gloves and balaclava even in summer... but does it actually work ? Have you ever checked your gear at long range ? I wonder if a traditional ghillie suit might work better ? A burlap suit has a lot of air in it... and little skin contact... unlike tac gear....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:53 pm 
Sergeant Major

One activity I've wanted to do since I got out here was "force on force" just from an observation perspective. But I have not been able to interest anyone in the activity.

Exposed skin is gonna light up in a thermal and it depends on the ghille as to whether it will help. And "wide grid" sort of ghille would be very breathable but would also allow the thermal to see the exposed skin underneath.

Like here's a "wide grid" ghille ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:59 pm 
Sergeant Major

If I was fighting critters that shoot back and have thermal ... well, it might not be much different than fighting in the day time. Cover is still cover. Now if they are far away, then moving in a group of cattle might work. Moving along a creek bottom under the vegetation might work. That sort of thing. I can get cattle to follow me and even lead me if I have range cubes. And from far enough away a group of cattle looks mostly like a group of cattle. Again, I'd love to run 100 exercises of FoF observation, but when people come out here to do something at night, that isn't at the top of their list (coyotes is).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:00 pm 
Staff Sergeant

This is what I'd call a ghillie suit... that's camo....

https://www.ghilliesuitdepot.com/collec ... illie-suit

I'm suspecting that would work day or night.... I've had deer walk close enough to grab their leg ...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:55 pm 
Sergeant Major

I think that's what a ghille suit looks like AFTER you've added the "cammo" to it ... but a "base" ghille suit is just a mesh to which you can then add the camo ... be it weeds or branches or what not. And what to add depends on where you are on earth and what time of year it is etc.

Also, a ghille suit can just be a regular uniform with a lot of holes cut in it and you attach your branches, etc. via the holes. That's what Carlos Hathcock did. He didn't have a "ghille suit" per se. He had a regular uniform. But he cut a lot of holes in it. While he was heading to the spot he wanted to set up ... he was just wearing his uniform with holes in it. When he got there he grabbed the local vegetation from that spot and added it to his uniform. So it was customized for that exact spot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:09 pm 
Staff Sergeant

They're all generally made with fishing net that's been stitched into loose jacket and pants. The first photo you posted shows the normal construction. You can see the burlap strings that have been brushed out and attached individually to the grid. A full suit is built the same way... with multiple colors of burlap that has been separated into individual strings and strips. I made mine as a project one winter.... took months....

https://www.theghilliesuits.com/ghillie-suit-kits.html

a full suit has a hood with a flap that covers the face. If it's well made it's very light and not overly hot as long as there's some wind... you can also add natural materials to it.... it's also quite effective to just roll around on the ground... the burlap picks up the local grass and leaves …

It creates a thick covering of airy material that will not warm up to body temperature like clothing or even a blanket if you're under it too long....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:21 pm 
Sergeant Major

As to being tough to spot ... another story from the "Hathcock Legend" ...

Once upon a time ... Carlos was stalking in to take out an NVA general. He low crawled about 1500yds over the course of about 72 hours. That's a bit more than 20yds per hour or about 1 foot per minute. At that rate of "speed" ... while a drone at 1 to 3 miles up might see a hot spot, there might be many hot spots around and it might be a rock. And since it is not "moving" it is probably a rock, look else where.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:30 pm 
Staff Sergeant

After I spent months making it, another guy in the group showed up one day with one of these cheap suits... it's actually almost as good as mine.... and the price makes it near disposable....

https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Ghillie-Woo ... illie+suit

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166  Next