maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162 ... 166  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shooting and Firearms
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:53 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14677
2018-08-18
1040-1200
80F
00 MPH SE

Goals: Ruck walk

Environment: Warm, very sunny, very little to no wind.

Equipment: Pack 11 lbs 1.4 oz with 3.2 Liters in water bladder and 2 pints in bottles and first aid. Four foot straight cottonwood branch for walking stick, garmin 601. Call it 12 pounds total gear.

Activity: This would be a road walk around 1 section, 4 miles total.

In the Army I was in, there was an Army wide requirement to do a 25 mile road march every quarter in under 10 hours. The gear to be carried was first set to be a light combat load. Rifle, ammo, water, first aid and oh yes, steel pot. After the first one of those in the Georgia summer ( I was stationed at Fort Benning, 1/29th in those days ) the gear requirement was left to be determined by local requirement. About a third of the guys reported sick the next morning :D including me !
After that, the gear was PT, tennis shoes, shorts, tee shirt and fatigue hat (ball cap). We walked around a 2 mile track, so there were water stations after each lap, so we didn't have to carry water. Most people passed that one. :)

I was in my early 20s in those days, I'm in my early 60s now. But my ultimate goal is 3 mph for a walk like this. But passing is 2.5 MPH.

The sections around here are oriented with the compass, so I walked 1 mile north, then 1 mile west, the 1 mile south, then one mile east. The ground rises from east to west, from the starting point at 1289 height above sea level, to 1359 at a point about 2.2 miles into the journey. But the ground undulates, so, I was usually going up or down, rarely on flat ground. This is the Flint Hills of Kansas ... not the flat part were Dorthy lives !

The first mile, of course was easy, so I set my pace and kept it on average. I had about 3 percent cover from the sun during the first mile. At the end of the first mile, I stopped for a hydration break, 30 seconds, 8 swallows. The second mile was tougher, pretty much up hill all the way from about 1185 to 1340. I had about 0.5% cover on this stretch. I walked off to the side of the road in the ditch in case a vehicle came by and one did. The ground was soft but not too soft and I was able to maintain my pace. At the end of the second mile, I again stopped for a 30s hydration break, 8 swallows. I was maintaining my pace so that less than 1% of the time did I have to breath through my mouth to catch my breath. The the third mile was the flattest of the three .. up and down .. but only maybe 30 feet of total evelation different along the route. About 1% of cover from the sun. My right foot started hurting. I was wearing the same muck boots I wore in the creek walk last weekend and one of the pads came out of that boot. I still have it. But, it was not in the boot. I guess it needs to be in there :D ...
At the end of the third mile, another 30s hydration break. I was dreading, a bit, this last stretch because even though over all it was down hill I knew there was a lot of undulation and two steep hills to climb. But it had to bbe done so I stepped out. I was still maintaining my pace or slightly ahead ... about 1 minute ahead at the end of the third mile. I would need that reserve. When climbing the hills, I avoided looking up at the top of those hills :) I adjusted the pace to as to avoid breathing thru my mouth. I had about 5% cover from the sun on this stretch. Because the very last part of this mile was a steep hill, if I was going to "speed up" during this mile, it made sense to me to do it during the flat parts. So I did. I stepped out faster during the flat parts. After I passed the finish line, I was at 1 hr and 19 minutes and I counted 38 paces till the clock went to 1h20m.

So 38 paces (I count a pace as when my right foot hits the ground ... so roughly 34 inches or 1 yd) over 80 mins for 2 miles. So I passed by 38 paces ... a pretty thin margin. My right foot pain was continually increasing down the stretch, especially up the last hill, but while I allowed myself to be aware of it, I also focused on making sure my legs and stick were moving correctly so I could maximize my pace.

Sitting here writing about it, I am not "tired" ... since I maintained a normal breathing pace, but I can tell I got some sun ... and I just drank 8 swallows of salt water.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

2018-09-02
1000-1215
80F
08 MPH SW

Goals: Walk, test VSO

Environment: Hot, humid, overcast.

Equipment: 7.62(22) with NF 7-35x T3 and Spuhr mounts with IR&D Vampire SOLO (VSO) Ballistic Range FInder on COAX mount 12 o'clock. Manfrotto (not used), M118LR (175gr SMK)
Pack with 1.2 gallons of water, 2xrear bags, First Aid, 2xMags with 5 rds each, chest rig with 6xmags with 5 rds each (and 3 mags with 5 rds each 5.56) , Compass, Radio, PTT, Bushy LRF, Kestrel, Note Pad and Pen (rite rain).
Walking stick. About 39 pounds total.

Activity: Walked out to 500yds FP, 900yds, left shoulder straining under the weight. Finally figured out it was the pack. Need to add the shoulder pads.

Decided to try prone. From Prone I could see the top half of the lower target only. But I could see the top of the bull sticking out from down in the grass and that's enough to aim at.

Pic from the firing point.

Measured the wind with the new kestrel .. got spread roughly 3-6-9 (low avg hi).

Got into posn and loaded and held 2.8 up per shooter and held for 6 MPH. POI center of bull.

First rd hit! The target was twisting.

Wind seemed to die, so held for four mph ... hit ...

Third rd , 4 MPH hit ...

Fourth rd, 4 mph hit ... same for 5th

bTW I could not see any of the splotches of the hits on the target.

Walked to target ... took target pic ... walked back.

Color code on the circles. The RED circle is a shot from a different day. the green shots are current group.

Decided to try for the face.

Wind seemed to be higher ... held for 8 mph . first round hit twisting.

Second rd miss high but centered, could see splash of dirt on the berm aligned with top of target.

Wind higher. 3rd held for 10 mph ... hit

Fourth round failed to fire. Checked primer looked dimpled ... reloaded it, tried again, fail to fire. This is the first M118LR I have had that FTF. And the dimpling was heavy.

5th round held for 10 mph hit ..

Fired second 5rd mag continued to hold for 10 mph for remaining shots ... got hits could not see splotches of hits on targets.

The Red shot is different day. The orange shots are prior group. The Green shots are current group.

Results/Summary:

Group one at body of target ... elevation looks dead on centered on the center of the bull for the group. Center of group was 3 inches right. or just short of 2 mils not enough wind hold. Should've stuck with 6 mph.

Group two at the face of the target. 9 rds center maybe a half inch low. Group center about 1 inch left ... 10 mph was a little too much 8 mph now quite enough ... I guess 9 would've been just right.

Oh and actually the "miss" was a grazing miss right on top of the target. But two of the hits on the metal were clearly low with respect to the target of the face and hence they were misses.

So out of 9 rounds that went down range, 7 tagged the face. The face is a 1.2 MOA target (6 inches of 500yds_. Basically a large dot drill at 500yds.

I think I have 20 rds in this case of M118LR and then I will try a case of 500yds of FGMM 7.62x51 175gr ... maybe we will see less verticle spread in the groups ?

VSO experiments:

Tried six times to range the target, zero attempts succeeded. Had the LRF on "Forest" mode ... and since there was a lot of vegetation around the target, I was thinking "forest" would be good. Tried the target twice

and clean part of the berm twice and the trees behind the berm twice. No return. There are parameters in the Rangefinder configuration section that I do not understand. Perhaps changing them will help.

Also, perhaps FOREST is not the right setting for this range finder in this terrain.

Shooter said to hold 2.8 mils up. That seemed to be dead on. The VSO when I aimed at the target, said to hold 1.52 mils up. I wiggled the aiming point up and down a tiny bit and the amount to hold

varied between 1.50 and 1.54. I varied the amount a lot and the max I saw was to hold 2.53 mils up. Then I was aimed at a hill 100 foot higher, two tree lines behind the target berm and 600yds

farther to the NNW.

Perhaps there is some setting I am missing. Clearly, if I held 1.52 up I would be landing in the dirt WAY in front of the targets.

Maybe I need to calibrate the level-ometer each time I turn the device on ?

I'm building my own HPR100 (Heading, Pitch, Roll) and that one remembers the calibration. That's a $400 device ... a $4,500 device ought to be able to do same !

But regardless, it very well could be me doing somethig wrong for both the ballistics and the ranging. That said, I think all the range finders I've had to range those targets .. .the Bushy Ar Elite 1600, the Radius and the RAPTAR.

Oh I walked 3800yds in 135m ... which is just over 1 MPH ... of course I was stopped shooting for quite a bit. And again, I need to add the shoulder straps to the pack setup.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:17 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
After picking up a Red Dot sight (for fast acquisition purposes) and investigating, it's become apparent that I have a bit of an astigmatism. My dot wasn't a dot, but a larger blob with a few red rays coming off it. :?

Perhaps that's why I've been having more issues focusing after reading text at certain distances. My peepers are finally going downhill. :geek: Must be time to visit the eye doctor.

Anyway.. gonna take the Red Dot back & return it. Ordered a Primary Arms ACSS Cyclops 1x instead since it uses an etched reticle that won't look blurry to me. I like their "ACSS" style of reticles too - they're pretty slick. ~~>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:42 pm 
Sergeant Major

Yeah my dot sites are a bit blobbie as well ... though with 2 MOA dot sites , I can get IPSC(2/3) ... 12x24 inch steel at 400yds ... which meets my requirements for dot sight shooting ... which is NOT "precision" sort of shooting (sub-moa) ... for that I use real scopes with diopters.

There do exist 3x magnifiers for the dot sights which have diopters and I have such on both of my carbines that have RDS and that helps reduce the size of the blob.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:59 pm 
Corporal

Reputation points: 1115
I have a vortex dot sight which was formally on my 6.8, but I've moved it to the new .450 Bushmaster. At 50, I can get two holes touching. I don't intend to ever use it over 200 anyway, so it's suitable here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:39 pm 
Hair in the soap

Zad Fnark wrote:
I have a vortex dot sight which was formally on my 6.8, but I've moved it to the new .450 Bushmaster. At 50, I can get two holes touching. I don't intend to ever use it over 200 anyway, so it's suitable here.

It was a Vortex that I picked up. Nice red dot. Even though I could use it in a pinch for pretty short range quick shots, my vision just wasn't cooperating to get the most precision out of it.

I considered getting a 3x prism scope instead of a 1x. But, as I said before, I have larger caliber bolt- and lever-action rifles with sizable scopes on them if I feel like long range shooting. I got the AR carbine for shorter range & quick, easy acquisition with good eye relief.

On another note, my S&W .40 came with an unaligned front sight. Picked up a sight pusher to adjust. Especially since I've been considering also picking up a semi-auto .22LR pistol for high volume plinking in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:04 am 
Sergeant Major

Nef is gettin' ready !!! :)

(its good to get ready !)
==
2018-09-05
2030-2230
60F
10 MPH NNE

Goals: Test VSO and RRS

Environment: Cloudy, sprinkling, breeze from NNE (a the rarest direction for the wind ).

Equipment: 7.62(22) 4xmags 5rds each M118LR (the last 20 rds of the first case), UTCx, VSO. 4-wheeler, helmet with pvs-14 and SKEET. RRS + Avil 30.

Activity: Went out to roll the trash can out to the road, wore the helmet. Saw two deer, they didn't think I saw them, so ignored me and kept doing their thing.
Both about 75yds away.
On the way back saw a small critter by my zeroing target ... guessed it was a rabbit, since it wasn't moving (rabbits love the "no move" defese). Went and got the RRS and set it up ...
then got the 7.62 and loaded up, turned on the UTC and focused. Yup, rabbit broadside right beside the target. Aimed center of mass aimed a smidgin' high and fired.

Rabbit flew into the air then lay still ... approached and took pic.

So, the first round fired off the RRS got a rabbit. The RRS is different from the Manfrottos I've been using for the past 33 months ... with the manfrottos you're managing the wobble

... but with the RRS, there is so much less wobble, that there is almost wobble ... a completely different experience.

==

Then loaded onto the 4-wheeler and headed up to the top of signal hill. Setup .. saw my cows at 664 across on the East side of the pond. The SKEET detected cows in a pasture to the West.

Pointed the UTC over there and could see two groups tiered up .. .they are in totally different pastures ... at different elevations ...

Did a bunch of ranging with the VSO, the closer group is around 1200yds, that's the group the SKEET detected. That's the first time I've known I detected a group of critters with
the SKKET that far out. I'm not surprised, but now it has happened.

Ranged the second group a bunch of times and they averaged around 1800. The farthest cow I ranged was 1866. Now I'm trying to range the cows, but I could be ranging the ground around them.

In general I ranged each "cow" three times.

Results/Summary:

Even on the weakest setting for the VSO, able to range over a mile ... the strongest setting is "3000" (not sure what the UOM is for that). And I have it on 100 right now. That's the lowest setting. Testing the edges.
Belgium told me to turn it up in poor conditions like rain and sun. But it is still working fine.

The RRS is amazing. The only thing I don't like is I wish I had more support to prevent it from canting when I pan. Trying to figure out which head works for that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:59 am 
Corporal

NefariousKoel wrote:
It was a Vortex that I picked up. Nice red dot. Even though I could use it in a pinch for pretty short range quick shots, my vision just wasn't cooperating to get the most precision out of it.

I sorta know what you mean. My left eye is slightly more dominant than my right, which I look through the scope with. That makes shooting with both eyes open a little tougher for me.

I just got a nice Vortex Crossfire II scope, intended for the Grendel, so I've been busy flipping scopes between my guns. I'll get them sighted in tomorrow after work. (Flex time: I can leave early Fridays)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:26 am 
Hair in the soap

Zad Fnark wrote:
NefariousKoel wrote:

I sorta know what you mean. My left eye is slightly more dominant than my right, which I look through the scope with. That makes shooting with both eyes open a little tougher for me.

My right eye is very dominant. I have to squint a bit with my left to get proper focus while keeping both open. Always been that way. Can still keep both open but have to actively retard the left one.

Quote:
I just got a nice Vortex Crossfire II scope, intended for the Grendel, so I've been busy flipping scopes between my guns. I'll get them sighted in tomorrow after work. (Flex time: I can leave early Fridays)

Nice. There's only been one day a week with a low chance of rain in the past month. Between trying to plan around that, waiting for the rest of my accessories to show up, and being fucking sick for at least 10 days, I've not been able to get back out lately. :| Next week's weather is looking great so far, however. :mrgreen:

jwilkerson wrote:
Nef is gettin' ready !!! :)

(its good to get ready !)

It's far better to have something and possibly not need it than to need it and not have it! :geek:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:30 am 
Corporal

I suppose where you're at, if you order from Midway, you'll get it the next day :D

I've had that happen with Lee Precision (Hartford, WI)

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162 ... 166  Next