maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1580 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shooting and Firearms
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:39 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13552
Quote:
... I don't however think that such a license extends the right to conceal carry of a firearm ...

You are correct. We are BORN with the right to carry firearms ... concealed or otherwise.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:41 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:51 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14720
jwilkerson wrote:
Quote:
... I don't however think that such a license extends the right to conceal carry of a firearm ...

You are correct. We are BORN with the right to carry firearms ... concealed or otherwise.

Well . . . yes, but. When in Rome, one has effectively two choices: (a) do as the Romans specify one must do; or (b) do as one's natural rights specify, and potentially pay the consequences.

Breaking a law, ANY law, no matter how repugnant or wrong it might be, is nonetheless breaking a law.

Which is why my blood boils when I consider what the "Gun Activists" and "2nd Amendment Advocates" have done lately.

Any lawsuits against Illinois opened up yet? Or against, Chicago? or California? New York? Massachusetts? probably half-dozen other states, and dozens of specific counties and municipalities which presently have ON RECORD laws which infringe citizens civil rights and breach the constitution. Not to mention the various Federal laws that are even worse: the Hughes Amendment, and probably most of that whole damned 1986 Bill . . . Firearm Owners Protection Act . . . and probably quite a few of the pieces of Federal Legislation which predates FOPA.

The biggest "enemy" of the 2nd Amendment is not in fact gun grabber activists, it is complacency and apathy among gun rights groups and individuals. The NRA should have regarded Trump's election as a clarion call to go on a total all-out offensive on every single polity within the Republic which holds any shred of unconstitutional 2nd Amendment breaching law on the books, but they haven't and they won't.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:32 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Anthropoid wrote:
jwilkerson wrote:

Well . . . yes, but. When in Rome, one has effectively two choices: (a) do as the Romans specify one must do; or (b) do as one's natural rights specify, and potentially pay the consequences.

Breaking a law, ANY law, no matter how repugnant or wrong it might be, is nonetheless breaking a law.

Which is why my blood boils when I consider what the "Gun Activists" and "2nd Amendment Advocates" have done lately.

Any lawsuits against Illinois opened up yet? Or against, Chicago? or California? New York? Massachusetts? probably half-dozen other states, and dozens of specific counties and municipalities which presently have ON RECORD laws which infringe citizens civil rights and breach the constitution. Not to mention the various Federal laws that are even worse: the Hughes Amendment, and probably most of that whole damned 1986 Bill . . . Firearm Owners Protection Act . . . and probably quite a few of the pieces of Federal Legislation which predates FOPA.

The biggest "enemy" of the 2nd Amendment is not in fact gun grabber activists, it is complacency and apathy among gun rights groups and individuals. The NRA should have regarded Trump's election as a clarion call to go on a total all-out offensive on every single polity within the Republic which holds any shred of unconstitutional 2nd Amendment breaching law on the books, but they haven't and they won't.

There was a landmark case involving Chicago some years ago:

McDonald v. City of Chicago
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald_ ... of_Chicago

Chicago lost.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:06 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14720
chijohnaok wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:

There was a landmark case involving Chicago some years ago:

McDonald v. City of Chicago
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald_ ... of_Chicago

Chicago lost.

Maybe NRA does more than I know?

I'm a lifetime member since 2006 or 2007. I use to let them send me with their endless salvos of literature. They also used to call me about once per quarter.

I skimmed-attentively through the stuff at first, and then as I realized it was always the same, with less and less attention and finally just threw the stuff in the trash.

In my opinion, the role of the NRA should be primarily (1) promoting firearms safety and knowledge transfer; (2) advocating for the natural self-defense right of all law-abiding responsible human beings, and especially American citizens/residents who are in compliance with their local, state and Federal laws; (3) "ATTACKING" ANY local, state or Federal laws which are considered by a reasonable stance on item #2 to be in breach of either natural rights or the rights laid down in our nations founding documents.

Instead, what they seem to be is: (A) marketing/advertising platform for the firearms industry [not an inherently bad thing, but when it is the MAIN thing it IS a problem]; (B) Purveyor of partisan muck-racking, and neurotic, self-centered, individualist "gun clutching" worldviews; (C) fund-raising.

Virtually EVERY phone call I received from them was a request for money. Easily half the junk mail I received from them was a request for money. I NEVER noticed any articles, or commentaries (much less front page headlines on any of their magazines) which discussed any ongoing or historic or notable legal efforts by the NRA to ATTACK unjust or unconstitutional laws.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:45 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14677
NRA cant be everywher simultaneously. The biggest threat is the Federal govt so most of the effort is there. NRA has been very active rolling back state gun grabbers, and promoting state level right to keep and bear constitutional amendments.

Winning in NY or CA or MA will be a much more costly battle. I suspect improvements in MA will come first. NRA has been working there at the town level turning the bullshit MA "may issue" FID card laws into town-level "shall issue" laws.

Most New Englanders are natural rebels. As usual it rich pissants from CT and NY who moved north that are the agents of tyranny.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:00 am 
Corporal

Reputation points: 865
Well, I added another one to the collection. This time, one in 6.5 Grendel. I don't have quite the feeling of accomplishment as I did with the first, as I bought a complete upper from Midway and didn't build it piece by piece.

Top one's the Grendel. Bottom one is my earlier 6.8. 20" barrel with a 1-8 twist. I've got two boxes of Federal ammo to get it sighted in with. I'm loading 120 gr bullets with 27 gr of 8208 powder. These bullets are very long.

The 6.5 is pretty much a rivet gun. Tightest thing I ever shot. The bottom group was my friends. Top one is mine. Granted it was at 50 yds, but I'm still impressed.

Couple more.

And, I did this with the 6.8. I replaced the dot sight with a cheap $50 scope, which works well enough.

I'm surprised the wife let me get away with this. :D

Last edited by Zad Fnark on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:08 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14677
Dude. Image. Scale 'em down.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:11 am 
Corporal

Reputation points: 865
Just did.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:42 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13552
Ok, so as to bullets / ammo for 6.5G ...

I started with Hornady 123 AMAX ... but those were discontinued/upgraded to 123 ELD ... so mostly in the past year, I've shot the 123 ELD. However, about 10 months ago I shot 40rds of Federal GM 130gr berger hybrids ... and decided to upgrade to that ammo. However, in the past 10 months, despite having multiple backorders placed with multiple vendors ... I've only been able to secure one case of 200rds. So, I've actually put my 6.5G(18) upper on the shelf pending availability of ammo. And that is the achilles heal of the 6.5G caliber ... lack of breadth and depth of the loaded ammo. So, that actually drives me back to .308WIN/7.62x51 which has perhaps one of the largest breadth and depth of the ammo supply. So going full circle? I started 5.5 years ago with the Sig 7.62(16) ... but then sold it due to the proprietary business model, inability to get parts. And went the the 6.5G(18) which has almost the same external ballistics ... basically a solid 900yd gun, just like the 7.62 ... but lighter and less recoil ... with the trade off being lack of ammo ... which I planned to mitigate by stock piling .. but stock piling has not worked for my chosen cartridge ... :(

For hunting the Hornady 123 SST is the bullet of choice ... but it is an interesting bullet ... I've seen the go through hog skulls on both sides ... and even hog side armor on both sides ... with small holes .. .but the against other critters, I've seen the bullets "explode" ... so seemingly erratic behavior. Which is not ideal. But that is about the only real choice for a hunting bullet for the 6.5G.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1580 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158  Next