maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1657 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 166  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shooting and Firearms
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:08 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14677
2018-04-22
1330-1530
50F
5 MPH N

Goal" Wind practice

Environment: Overcast, muddy, per wind turbine near our buildings wind 6 MPH NE at 60 foot up in the air, where our turbine is.

Equipment: 7.62(22), LC M118LR, NF 7-35x T3, LRF, Kestrel.

Activity: Rolled out to 700yd shooting area, looking for a spot I could shoot prone. I found one at 660 meters, a.k.a 720yds.

Setup. Measured wind for 2 mins with Kestrel.
Low: 3.6
Avg: 4.9
High: 7.4

Measured direction 6 times throwing grass tufts up, 4 times from dead ahead, once from 355 and once from 5. Got behind the gun, the mirage was boiling, consistence with wind from ahead.
Shooter said 5.8 up for 720yds. I put the 5.8 mil line just below the bull and decided not to hold for wind.
Got a first round hit !!! I couldn't believe it, usually I try to avoid all emotion when shooting, but I had to stop for a minute. I guess, I just got lucky. If you try this 100 times, you will get lucky and get a first round hit now and then.
I've bought maybe 7 books on wind calling in the past month, including the crazy expensive one by Linda somebody. A lot of them are focused on competitions that have range flags and where you can shoot sighters and where you get lots of shots and if you miss now and then it might be ok.
My goal is first round hit.
Having read all these books, they are all a fancy version of Orkan's " get out there and shoot a lot and figure it out yourself.
And that is fine, it tells me no one has it completely nailed. If they did, they could write it down and everyone could learn it and it would be like walkin' and talkin' ... so it isn't like that. It is a crap shoot, but I think you can improve the odds if you focus on the activity.
I got a first round hit yesterday and another first round hit today. Got lucky 2 days in a row !!!
:D

I guess, it is almost like I should only shoot 2 rds per day per target because all the shoots past that are almost cheating, I've already fired my "sighters" ... i.e. the first two rounds are my sighters whether they hit or miss.

So I watched the grass and I watched the mirage. When the wind strengthened it seemed the grass was bending such as to indicate the wind was coming from 5 off the bullet path. When the wind died, maybe it was coming from 355, when it was in the middle maybe dead ahead.

I waited until the gust died and fired the second round dead on at 5.8 up and got second round hit. I remained calm that time, cycled the bolt. The bipod and monopod were digging holes in the mud again, so I shifted my position sideways to get away from the holes. The wind was up a bit and the mirage was moving flat from right to left. So I held 5.8 up and half a wind dot (2 mph effective cross wind) right. The bullet went right where the barrel was pointing, missed by 2 inches to the right of the target good on elevation. In other words, effectively the wind was from 0. So that means my clues from up on the hill were wrong and even my clues from the mirage were wrong. The wind in between was not moving laterally. Where I was focused it was and on the hill it was, but not elsewhere.

Wind was average for 4th shot so held dead center at 5.8 and got a hit.

Waited thru a gust and when wind returned to avg, held dead center 5.5 and got a hit.

So 4/5 from the first 5 rd magazine.

Loaded another.

Contined waiting for what seemed like the "constant wind" as one writer calls it. Not the gust, not the lull.

Held dead center and 5.8 up and got hit. Oh and one advantage of using the 175gr bullet over the 77gr, I've been using with the 5.56(18) is these bullet make a clear "ding" on the target and move it clearly also. So I can really tell when I get a hit.

Rounds 2-4, waited for the constant and held 5.5 and dead on and got hit.

Did same for 5th round, it was left and low 0.5 mil !!!

Loaded another mag, I thought, maybe I screwed up the elevation hold.

Fired 1st round of third mag at 5.8 and right half a wind dot, was half a mil low but centered.

So, I held 6.4 up and half a wind dot right and got a hit.

Third round the same holds, was centered but a mil low!

Held 7.4 up and half a wind dot right and got a hit !

Repeated and got another hit.

Started checking for loose stuff, this is a new gun. Stock, barrel, scope, scope base, it was the suppressor, it was loose about a quarter turn. I've never had this happen before, but maybe the loose suppressor was letting pressure out early and causing the bullet to lose velocity and drop faster? Either that or my barrel was melting right before my eyes! One clue is there was a splotch of anti-seize on the barrel that apparently "squirted" out from the threads when the suppressor moved. Maybe I used too much anti-seize.

Results/Summary:

11/15 hits. One miss was a wind call miss, 2 misses were velocity loss issues and one miss was both causes. This stage on my land, I'm shooting North by NNW from about 1300 feet ABS off the side of a hill over our creek which is about 1160 feet ABS at this point. So shooting over the trees that are along the side of the creek. But the banks on the North side and then the pasture over there rise up pretty fast and I'm only shooting down 3 degrees at the target. But the bullet is high in the air relative to the ground along part of its path.

So I have a 500yd stage and a 770yd stage (so far 720yds is the farthest I've tried prone. I checked and I couldn't get prone at 770yds, tripod only from back there.

But each stage has different terrain and hence different wind and so shooting both each time I go out is indicated.

If the gun shoots correctly next time, that should prove the loose suppressor was the issue. If it still shoots low, it must be broke ! I was not shooting particularly fast, I'd guess 2-3 rounds per minute as I was watching the wind and waiting for the wind and I only have one 5 rd mag. So I don't think I melted the barrel.

Oh, the stock is still too far forward. I adjusted it, but apparently not enough. Got a red "welt" on my collar bone. So not making a solid pocket, so need to move the stock back another notch.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:47 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
The State of New York threatened banks with pulling state business ($200 billion in pension funds) from banks that continue business with gun manufacturers who didn’t toe the line on How NY State thinks they should be dealing with the gun industry.

Hornady has issued their response:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/0 ... -business/

Good for Hornady.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:47 am 
Sergeant Major

2018-04-28
2200-2300
40F
0-5 MPH NE

Goal: Wind practice with PVS-30

Environment: Clear, light breeze from 30 degrees off bullet path. Full Moon rising.

Equipment: 7.62(22), NF 7-35x T3, LC M118LR, PVS-30. TH Helmet with PVS-14 and PAS-20.

Activity: Rolled out to 500yd FP. Activated spin drift and coriolis effect. Numbers changed by a 10th of a mil.
Shooter saying hold up 3 mils and right 1 mil for 10 mph 90 degree wind.

I held 3 up and aimed dead center for wind. First round hit.
Repeated, second round miss right 2 inches. For third round held left 2.5 mph hit. repeated 4 and 5 round hit. Sixth round miss did not see. Repeat, miss low, held up 3.1 and left 2.5 mph, hit. 8th, 9th and 10th round up 3.1 left 2.5

Results/Summary:

7/10 hits. Hits were concentrated low and right. Hum, I wonder if the PVS-30 is doing that? I tried mounting in 1 rail farther forward to see if I could get more magnification (I could not). Maybe the collimating lenses can't do its best job if mounted farther forward. I will try again mounting farther back.

Cranked down to 10x to try to get clear image. Could not. I ran the gain between 70% and 50%, image still fuzzy. Refocused several times, place fucus ring between two points of greater fuzzy on each side.

Maybe I need the moon higher in the sky? I swear the CO-lR was clearer than this.

==
Update: I just checked shooter and I did NOT have spin drift/coriolis turned on. With them turned on, the hold should be 3.1 !!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:49 am 
Sergeant Major

2018-04-29
1430-1600
60F
10 MPH ESE

Goal: Wind practice

Environment: Shifted from light rain to partly cloudy, with sun just coming out, as I was heading out. Variable breeze from the ESE.

Equipment: 7.62(22), NG 7-13x, LC M118LC, Kestrel, LRF

Activity: Rolled out to 500yd FP and setup. Wind read:
Low: 6.8
Average: 9.9
High: 14.4
Direction, checked 6 times with tufts of grass, 2 times 185 off bullet path, 2 times 180 off bullet path, 2 times 175 off bullet path. Keyed 60F into shooter, which said 3.0 up. Held 2.9 on the bull.
Mirage moving from right to left. Held 4 mph right, 1st rd hit. Saw splotch on low right of target. Held 2 MPH on target 2nd rd hit saw splotch move to the left. Decided to hold 3.0 on the bull. Fired 3 rds got three hits, holding 2 MPH.

Moved to 730yd fp and setup. Wind read:
Low: 4.9
Avg: 7.2
High: 12.6
Six tufts of grass, 150 off bullet path. Mirage moving right to left.
Decided to hold 1.5 wind dots, 7.5 MPH. In theory, should hold about 5 MPH (1 wind dot), but wanted to account for the fact that the bullet passes 60 feet over the creek on the way to the target.
Shooter said hold 5.9 for 725 and 6.0 for 730. Put 5.9 on the bull and held 1.5 wind dots right. Miss 4 inches right. 2nd shot 1 wind dot right, hit low right. Held 6.0 up on the bull and one wind dot right. 3rd shot Miss 2 inches right. Held half a wind dot right and 6 up, 4th shot hit. Repeat hit.

Results/Summary: More challenging with more wind today from right rear of the bullet path. And the variability in the wind was high. You could have a low spot and 5 seconds later a peak. The targets were more visible today. I ran 12x at 500yds and cranked up to 15x at 730yds. Lower magnification helps with the mirage as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:37 pm 
Sergeant Major

A new YT from Matt Christiansen challenges the popular belief that Chicago's gun violence is a result of how easy it is to bring guns in from states like Indiana that have less stringent gun laws:

He makes some very valid points.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:42 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16336
What percentage of firearms used in crimes were legally acquired?

Best guesses are in the 2 to 10% ballpark.

Thus, it is only possible for legally possessed firearms to account for 2 to 10% of the problem at most. Which means that 90% to 98% of "the problem" is completely irreconcilable with laws that restrict legal gun rights.

Laws, policies or practices which interdict black market guns are a different story and I doubt any 2nd Amendment advocate would have much to disagree with about such ideas.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:08 am 
Sergeant Major

I noticed that photobucket "turned back on" the ability to SHARE photos. So the olde photos I posted by 5 eons ago, of the first couple of years of my attempts to shoot, after coming out to the ranch, are again visible ... woo hoo !!!! :D

(imagine a web image hosting service allowing images to be shared !! )

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:03 am 
Sergeant Major

After seeing photobucket turned back on my images, I went back and reviewed the first third of this thread from mostly first half of 2014 ... those were the daze ... follks like reinald, 2ndacr, knucks, old eagle, 11bravo, mdiehl, anthro, chi posting and debating firearms issues, we don't see THAT any more on here ...
I continue to trudge out most nights and do my thing ... most of the critter control activities around the chickens I don't post about any more ... who needs to see the 913th pic of a coon or opossum or rat/mouse ...
My new focus is on improving accuracy and precision ... and so am doing a lot more dry firing and dot drills ... training muscle memory ... sort of like when I did scales and chords on piano/guitar when younger ... boring stuff for the watcher, listener, but critical for taking the skill to the next level ...
:)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:18 am 
Sergeant Major

jwilkerson wrote:
After seeing photobucket turned back on my images, I went back and reviewed the first third of this thread from mostly first half of 2014 ... those were the daze ... follks like reinald, 2ndacr, knucks, old eagle, 11bravo, mdiehl, anthro, chi posting and debating firearms issues, we don't see THAT any more on here ...
I continue to trudge out most nights and do my thing ... most of the critter control activities around the chickens I don't post about any more ... who needs to see the 913th pic of a coon or opossum or rat/mouse ...
My new focus is on improving accuracy and precision ... and so am doing a lot more dry firing and dot drills ... training muscle memory ... sort of like when I did scales and chords on piano/guitar when younger ... boring stuff for the watcher, listener, but critical for taking the skill to the next level ...
:)

My bold emphasis above.

I can't statistically support what I am about to say (since I am not going to search out and quantity all the "firearms" issues posts [which I am presuming includes "gun control"] that are sprinkled throughout the forum); I don't think that we are necessarily posting and debating less (more specifically with regards to gun control) but many of those posts and discussions are getting "swallowed" into whatever the latest mass shooting event thread happens to be.

Now if you are saying that there are less people posting and debating on non-gun control issues (i.e. which is the best firearm for this or that purpose, purchase recommendations, discussing specific firearms, etc) then you may well have a point there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:19 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16336
My .40 S&W Springfield xDM survived the tree bombing no problemo, but I still haven't fired the damn thing for probably three years . . . bad.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1657 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 166  Next