maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shooting and Firearms
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:24 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 9540
Recieved TrijiconEO SNIPE for T&E.

Below shown is SNIPE aboard 5.56(18) with Burris 1.5x-8x CBQ Mil on Manfrotto.

I am able to crank up to 8x and see things fairly well ... it is a little fuzzy but if goal it to hit the target, it can be done. I dry fired on mineral feeder at 400yds and it was easy.

I will try with heated steel at 500yds.

Also tried with 6.5(18) with Burris 3-15x scr-mil and
.300WM with Burris 5-25x scr-mil

And usable on those as well.

At 10x pixelation visible and 12x pixelation very visible, like 80s pacman game ... but still usable for some targets.

==
The SNIPE is only rated for up to 4x ... but the BAE cores have clear image and I thought it would be possible to push beyond the 4x, so I wanted to try. My first thermal was an Apollo 336 and the image through the SNIPE at 8x looks better than the image through the Apollo at 2x.
I'm not trying to make hollywood movies ... I'm just trying to hit what I am aiming at. So I think the SNIPE can support enough magnification to make the day scope reticle usable and that is what not many thermal clipons (under $10k) can do. I think the SNIPE might be the exception to the rule.
More testing in order!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:44 pm 
First Sergeant

2017-05-11
2100-2200
60F
10 MPH NE

Goal: Check SNIPE on 5.56(18) at 500yds

Environment: Cloudy, Breeze from NE.

Equipment: 5.56(18) with Burris 1.5-8x CQB MIL, Manfrotto, SNIPE.

Activity: Rolled out to target area, used propane tank and torch to heat the steel. Then headed to 500yds, setup tripod and took some through the lens images. This is not the greatest "camera" ... it is my olde phone. The images were clearer to my eye. The scope is on 8x. Reticle estimation is that the cow is 400yds in the second pic.

Summary/results: Well having the real reticle would definitely help with hitting targets at distance. The image is fuzzy at 8x, but I think better than my old Apollo 336 with 2x or 3x magnification. And I think I can hit targets with it at these distances.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:22 am 
First Sergeant

2017-06-03
2100-2300
60F
05 MPH ENE

Goal(s): Check zero of several systems.

Environment: Overcast, moon barely visible as a fuzzy orb through the clouds ... occasional cloud bursts ...

Equipment: 5.56(18), Burris 1.5-8x CQ MIL, SNIPE, FM(r) 77gr, ... several other system for myself and neighbor.

Activity: Setup targets at 25, 50, 100yds

Checked zero of SNIPE on 5.56(18)

Used following process:

SNIPE - Live Fire - Zero

A - Press Down on the thumbstick to enter the SYSTEM MENU

B - Press Up on the thumbstick to enter the SIGHTING IN MENU

C - Press backwards on the thumbstick to enter the LIVE FIRE TARGET sight in

D - Now you are at Step 1, please follow on-screen - directions

NOTES

STEP 1 - Use thumbstick to align the day optic and SNIPE reticles. Press button when done.

CONFIRM

STEP 2 - Fire one group at the target

STEP 3 - Adjust SNIPE reticle to center of target group

STEP 4 - Press joystick button to confirm

STEP 5 - Fire second group at the target

--
The first 2 rd group - STEP 2 both rds clipped the bottom center of the handwarmer. So for STEP 3, I moved the SNIPE reticle down 2 clicks and pressed the button. Then fire second group it was about half an inch higher. That was moving it in the right direction, but I'd like it to be another inch up. Not sure how we are supposed to get it there. Maybe, I need to skip STEP 4? There are some words in the scope for this step, but they are obscured by a "sign" that says "30hz".
I'm sure smart people can figure this out the first time, but I'm still not totally there yet, though might be getting closer.

==
Neighbor confirmed his zero with his .22LR and my XD38A he has on loan. He was dead on with a tight 3-rd group. I then confirmed zero with a few other systems and we called it good.
We have 18 head we just got last week up on my land, so trying to avoid nights of gun fire up there right now while they are settling in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:16 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14064
Be careful what you shoot it......

:shock:

:lol:

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:21 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 9548
MURICA! FuK YEAHH!!

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:48 pm 
First Sergeant

2017-06-25
2100-2200
50F
03 MPH SW

Goal: 6.5G(18) with UTCx at 500yds.

Environment: Cooler than it has been. Partly cloudy, a bit of pink still in the Western sky.

Equipment: 6.5G(18) with Burris 3-15x scr-mil, BAE UTCx 75mm, 1x, 640(60), Omega, 3 x mags with 10rds each Hornady 123 ELD, M190 tripod with 322RC-2 head. Propane torch. 12"x 24" steel silhouette target. Bucket of range cubes. LRF, kestrel, helmet with PVS-14 and PAS-29.

Activity: Rolled to the pond dam and handed out the range cubes to the cows, this moved them off the side of the hill and down to the pond, clearing my LOF from the 500yd FP to the target area. Rolled the long way around to the target area, heated up the target and rolled back to the 500yd target area, setup the tripod and mounted the rifle. Powered up the thermal and nuc'd three times while focusing and zooming up to 15x. The steel was clearly visible though it was not huge. I don't think the edges get hot the way I'm heating it up. Fired 10rds, 4 & 7 were misses. I could see the dirt plume of both with the thermal and both were to the right, but I called "right" in my head as point of aim was off.

I was on black hot. The reticle was very visible, no need for illumination.

Summary: The thermal did its part. I am amazed. No adjustments but dead on. 80% hits at 500yds standing up ... is at least acceptable. Around here in the warm half of the year ... standing shots are about the only option given the grass. Five years ago when I moved out here and started shooting again ... after about 30 years of living in cities and having no time to shoot ... I would have said it was impossible to hit 12 x 24 inch targets at 500yds standing up ... but hecque I assumed it was impossible so the thought never occurred to me. The Army trains its snipers to shoot from prone ... the Marines issue MSS (Marine Scout Snipers) tripods in MSS school and they deploy with same. I thank the MSS that advised me to get tripods. He changed my whole outlook towards shooting around here in the warm half of the year. We can now stand up and hit targets!! Go Marines !!!

==
File pic of the 6.5G(18) with 3-15 Burris scr-mil and UTCx.
(5.56(18) with 1.5-8x Burris cqb mil and TEO SNIPE is to the right)

==
File pic of the 6.5G(18) on tripod (to the left in the pic)
(.300WM to the right)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:35 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 9548
If you shave your hammer, you can shoot accurately at even farther ranges . . .

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:33 pm 
First Sergeant

2017-07-02
0900-1200
70F
10 MPH SW

Goals: Confirm DOPE at 500yds with .300WM(24)

Environment: Partly cloudly with a breeze. Not super hot, but fairly humid.

Equipment: .300WM(24) with 220gr OTM Barnes loaded. Burris 5-25x scr-mil, M190 tripod with 322RC-2 head. Kestrel and LRF.

Activity: Rolled out to pond bridge and handed out quite a few range cubes to pull the cows off the hill side along which I wanted to shoot. Then rolled to the target area and setup target. Then rolled to salt block deployment area and deployed two new salt blocks. In six weeks the 18 head (now 20) have reduced the first to salt blocks. Then rolled up to 500yd FP and setup. By that point, the cows had finished the range cubes and headed towards me!

I had to wait a while for them to disperse under some trees about 25 yds to the left of the pic. Then fired 5rd group.

One of the bullet holes is actually a double. I was holding .8 mils for wind, but obviously too much. And I was .4 mils high. When I went back to the FP and started to aim for second group, I noticed the action was wabbling in the chassis! That should not happen!! So, after confirming, I did an RTB. I did not build this gun myself, I had a gunsmith do it. But, the good news, is that now I had a reason to take it completely apart and figure out how to fix it.

There are only two action screws holding the action to the chassis, one at the front of the action and one at the rear. The front one was tight. The rear one was loose and I think I know why. The rear action screw can only be tighten through a narrow recess that puts the head of the screw about 1.5 inches from the top of the recess. My torque hex heads will not fit down into the recess. Only my hand hex wrenches will fit down there. I suspect the GS had the same issue so he just hand tightened it. So now I know. And I will have to check it each time before I go out. At least until I can find a torque head/wrench combination that will fit down in there.

I took the opportunity to replace the forward sling mount with a rail section. That allowed me to switch the Atlas bipod over to the .300WM(24) where I wanted it. I also changed the position of the tripod rail section at the rear of the forearm so it is farther forward. This gives better support to the interface mounting for the tripod, in such a way as to allow the magazines more clearence when the gun is on the tripod. And I remounted the NV saddle mount on the front, to allow it to be more to the rear, closer to the objective lens and to give it a tiny forward cant, to hopefully better align with the 20 MOA scope base.

But if I can reconfirm DOPE at 500yds today, then I will try the UTCx on the .300WM(24) tonight.
==
2017-07-03
1100-1300
70F
05 MPH S

Goal: Confirm DOPE at 500yds.

Environment: Wind from 210 off the bullet path and not felt in the lower half of the bullet path. Light rain, overcast.

Equipment: .300WM(24) with 220gr OTM Barnes loaded. Burris 5-25x scr-mil, M190 tripod with 322RC-2 head. Kestrel and LRF.

Activity: Went to 500yds and setup. Cranked 4 mils down. Fired 5rd group. Group was a tiny bit low and left. cranked up 0.1 mils. FIred 10rd group. Group was good on elevation but was left. Score was 81/100 on the NRA 500yd target. Cranked right 0.4 mil. Fired 10rd group. Group was centered. Score was 91/100. Called it good.

The pink group was 5rd group from yesteryday (see way below)

The orange group was first 5rd group from today (see below)

The green group was first 10rd group from today (see below) (score 81)

The orange circled group is second 10rd group from today (see below) (score 92)

I set up the steel so it is further elevated, this will enable me to see more than just the head. I now realize, the grass is high enough I could only see the head, that's why it looked so small the other day with the 6.5 !

So tonight we try with the .300WM and the UTCx.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:29 am 
First Sergeant

2017-07-03
2145-2300
60F
05 MPH SSE

Goal: .300WM(24) at 500yds with UTCx

Environment: Cloudy, moon up there but obscured by cloud. No stars visible. Light breeze from 180 degrees off the bullet path.

Equipment: .300WM(24) with 220gr OTM Barnes loaded. Burris 5-25x scr-mil, M190 tripod with 322RC-2 head. Kestrel and LRF. UTCx 100mm 1x 640(60), Propane torch, Polaris 4-wheeler. PVS-14 on TW Helment. PAS-29 on PVS-14.

Activity: Mounted up and rolled out to pasture. Saw the cows and calves about 50yds to the east of the mineral feeder on top of signal hill. They were bedded down. Continued to roll across the pond dam and down to the target area. Lite up the torch and warmed up the steel 12x24 silhouette target. Then rolled up to the 500yds FP. Set up the tripod and mounted the rifle. Then unpacked the UTCx and mounted it on the front of the rifle. I did not want to ride out with the thermal mounted on the rifle - don't want to bump it into anything and wanted to test ability to field mount and hit targets. That is the whole point of clip ons. So mounted it up and turned it on and nuc'd a few times, then zoomed out and found the target. Tried to point the cross hair at the target and take a through the lens pic. Here is the attempt. The real view was much different. But this is what the camera saw. The black "smudge" at the bottom is the heated steel target.

Loaded two 5 rds magazines and then inserted one and chambered a round. Nuc'd again and then came off safe and fired 5 rds. First 4 were hits the last was a miss and I knew I wobbled to the right and missed to the right. I was worried then I would only get 7 hits. But I loaded the second magazine and was more careful and got 5 out of 5. I can hear the hits clearly with the .300WM (220gr bullets). So net 9 out of 10 hits which I consider to be a "good" result. I'm sure 100% is possible. But this is the first attempt with the .300WM and the UTCx and the good news is that if the day scope is validated, then mounting the clipon will get hits. That's how it is supposed to work and it did. I've had other thermal clipons and they don't work so well. They require additional "adjustments" this one does not.

Summary: So both the 6.5G(18) and the .300WM(24) have been validated to 500yds day and night. So time to get out to Spear Point Ranch in North Central Kansas and see how far out we can get. Their shooting range goes out to 1400yds.

Here is pic of tonight's gear. Again, except when shooting the UTCx was in the pouch for protection. But I mounted it on the rifle for this pic in the house. When rolling, the PAS-29/COTI was mounted on the PVS-14 provided a NV/thermal fused image. For instance, from the East pasture where I was shooting, I could look West across the central valley and see the cattle on the East slope of the hill in the central pasture with both I2 and thermal. But the PVS-14 needs to be covered in the presence of white light, so I have to dismount the PAS-29 in the house.

I am impressed with the ability of this gear to hit 12 x 24 inch silhouettes at 500yds at night with me standing up off the tripod. I did not realize this was possible until the past couple of years and dang, I have to thank the 'jar heads" for cluing me in :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:28 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 8657
Quote:
Not really a review, more a love note.

Comments are interesting.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137  Next