maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1636 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149 ... 164  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shooting and Firearms
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:18 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14427
2018-04-08
1300-1600
30F
10 mph SSE

Goals: Wind practice

Environment: Solid overcast, wintery mix (I think they call it) ... wind, rain and frozen rain. Good weather for wind practice !!!

Equipment: 5.56(18) with 77gr smk BH load. xtr2 3-15x, radius, kestrel, shooter on phone, manfrotto, 4-wheeler, 7 mags of 5 rds each. Tab Gear, rear bag, "Rite in the Rain" note pad and pen.

Activity: Gave the cows some cracked corn, to keep them busy in the alfalfa patch. Went and painted the two targets I would be using. Then headed up to the 500yd FP and setup.

Held two clumps of grass over the gun and released. The first headed exactly towards the target, the second veered off a tiny bit to the right. So wind 170-180 off the bullet path (which is NNW).

Turned and faced the wind, it was not percipitating yet. Took a 2 minute reading with Kestrel 2500NV. 4 low, 7.2 avg, 12 High

Group 01
AB said hold 2.8 up ...
Held 0.5 right, which would be effective 4 mph at 90 degree and my read was 8 at 170.
Dirt splash was 2 o'clock by 2 inches.
I thought I was high so I backed off the up hold and held 2.5 up.
Half a mil is 9 inches so held 1 mil left. Next round was centered left by 2 inches.
I had heard wind increase but did not react.
Heard wind die a bit, held 1 mil a again, and 2.5 up. Fired saw splotch appear low right part of target.
Back to 2.8 up. Held 1 mil fired saw nothing. Held 1 mil fired saw splotch to right of bull.
Rolled down to target.

Realized the dirt I was seeing was above the hit, so I have to remember I hit below the dirt. The 2.8 AB hold seems correct for elevation.
Have to pay attention to the sound of the wind and adjust hold accordingly.
The frozen rain started while I was at the target.
It was painful driving back up the hill into the rain. The little "drops" sting when they hit your skin. Had to shield my eyes with my hand while driving the 4 wheeler.

Group 02
Measured wind direction with 2 clumps of grass. One veered 10 degrees to the left, the other veered 10 degrees to the right.
Facing the wind, most of the "drops" seems to be coming right at me, but a tiny few seems to be blowing to my left (facing the wind exactly away from the target).
So 2.8 up and somewhere between 0.5 and 1.5 mils left.
On the scope, I could see the frozen rain leaning over to the right and forming 30 degree angle from verticle. This meant 7.5 effeective wind That meant 1.1 hold. But I used the kestrel and the grass toss not the rain read and hold 0.5 I was right of the target by inches.
I heard the wind come up and held 1.5 left and was inches to the left.
I held 1.0 mils for the other shots.
One was high, the others were near the red bull. I could not see those from the FP.

I am having issues with the rear bag.
I almost don't shoot prone at all any more (most off tripods or standing unsupported) and it seems like I am starting over again to learn how .
But it caused some NP isses and some high rounds, I think.

Group 03
Took another wind reading. No change. First three rounds held 1.0 saw no hits (can't see hits on the bull and there is no sound or clear movement often for 5.56, especially in these conditions). Heard wind go up held 1.2 for last 2 shots, saw splotches.
Should've held 1.5.

Thru scope pic, trying to show the percipitation but too much water on the lenses.

Group 04
Wind read low 3.7 avg: 5.2 High: 9.7
So seems to b dropping. Frozen/Rain continues. Can clearly see it through the scope at 30 degree angle.
First 2 shots were high (I could only see one of them). I adjusted the rear bag to try to improve NP. Second three shots no call (they hit the red area).

Well, I felt like I had the "range" here, so decided to head over to the other target. I want to practice prone (for Greg's class), so I had to drive past the 700 meter distance and down the hill until I thought maybe I could see the target prone. Dismouted and got down and yes I could see the target from the ground.
Ranged the target got 599 and 601 meters (a.k.a. 660yds).

Read the wind. Direction right at the target. Low: 3.9 High 7.8 avg: 5.0
Looked at the percipitation through the scope.

It was leaning 10 degrees right so 2.5 mph effective wind. That would indicate 0.5 hold and it turned out that was correct ... but I didn't use it.
I cheated and tried a sighter.
AB said hold 4.9 mils up. And 2.0 for 90 degree 10 mph crosswind.
For the sighter I aimed center of the target for elevation but 4.0 up which should put me right below the target.

Group 01
I was just below the target but maybe 6 inches right.
Not completely trusting the AB "DOPE" yet, I held 4.5 up and 0.5 left based on the sighter ... I fired all 4 remaining rounds and thought I heard 1 "ping".

The percipitation visible thru the scope was heavy and I tried to take a pic, but it just looks fuzzy.

The rear of the scope kept getting covered with water. Just before I went out I found 2 McD's brown napkins in one pocket and decided to leave them in there. When the rear lens got covered in water I would fish them out and dab the moisture off the back of the scope. Without those napkins I would've been crippled (or maybe my tee shirt would've worked, but it would've been fun getting that deployed as a rag!

Group 02
Could detect no change in conditions, so fired second group with same holds, 4.5 up and
1.0 left. Thought I could see the bottom of the target "greying up".

Group 03
No change in conditions, but decided to hold 4.8 up and 1.0 left.

Heard 2 barely audible "pings" in this group.

Rolled down to target, got 14 hits (the first sighter round was in the dirt).

Summary: Now this is fun! But, no more sighters for wind practice. That makes it too easy. One issue with this small gun is the ammo doesn't move the steel much more than the wind and doesn't make much noise.

I need a suggestion for a new rear bag. I can't get the current one to work, it is either too high (if verticle) or too low (if sideways). Maybe I need a class on rear bags !!
Well, the last three times (and the only three where I've really paid attention) that I could use the mirage, or the precipitation, I would've nailed the wind call. So, going forward, if the mirage or precipitation is giving me a strong clue, I'm going with that.
The "Rite in the Rain" book and pen worked.
Now I realize the elevation data in the Shooter is dead on .. I think I have the best data I can get in there ... including solid muzzle velocity and optic center above bore center and it seems to be dead on. No second guessing the shooter.
Shooting off the side of the hill at 660yds was tougher than it sounds. Not only was I shooting down hill (that wasn't an issue) but the slope of the ground I choose was down hill right to left. I countered by raising the right tripod leg one notch. But my left leg felt like it was 6 inches higher than my right leg.
But somehow the gun was hardly moving after each shot, so I had good visibility on the target, except for all the precipitation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:18 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... tary-styl/

Quote:
Bank of America will no longer lend to companies that make ‘military-style’ weapons

By Victor Morton - The Washington Times - Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Bank of America officially took sides in America’s gun debate Tuesday, announcing it would no longer make loans to companies that make “military-style” weapons.

The second-biggest U.S. bank announced Tuesday that it would drop current loan-customers Vista Outdoors, Remington and Sturm Ruger, and blackball any other manufacturer of assault weapons.

Bank of America Vice Chairman Anne Finucanetold Bloomberg TV on Tuesday her bank has told those companies “it’s not our intent to underwrite or finance military-style firearms.”

“We have had intense conversations over the last few months,” Ms. Finucane told Bloomberg, a network founded by tycoon and gun-control-financier Michael R. Bloomberg. “And it’s our intention not to finance these military-style firearms for civilian use.”

Ms. Finucane, who is listed at her company biography as head of BoA’s “environmental, social and governance efforts” said she expects to lose at least some of those gun-makers’ other business as well.

“These are clients we have enjoyed a relationship with,” she said. “There are those I think will reduce their portfolios and we’ll work with them and others that will choose to do something else.”

When asked whether Bank of America would also boycott retailers who sell such weapons, Ms. Finucane parried the question and didn’t rule it out.

“That’s a good public dialogue, but that’s a ways off,” she said.

So Bank of America will "no longer lend to companies that make ‘military-style’ weapons".
Does that mean they are also cutting off their business relationships with companies like:
United Technologies Corporation.
Airbus Group.
General Dynamics.
Northrop Grumman.
Raytheon.
BAE Systems.
Boeing.
Navistar
Textron
Honeywell
Oshkosh
Lockheed Martin

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:33 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 5760
All the best snake eaters carry a couple clear lens covers for when the weather goes south. Imagine a life or death situation in the pouring rain or after you've slogged through a couple miles of heavy smoke or dust ? You'd get killed with a golf club. You need to practice your weather tactics.... and always have a couple of these in your vest... pop it open for a second while shooting and immediately close again. In more hectic situations they're disposable.. you can rub em with a McDonalds napkin all you want then throw em away when they're scratched.

http://www.weaveroptics.com/accessories/polar_caps/

Why not make your own rear bag that's exactly how you want it.... sewing is easy to learn... or show me a sketch and I'll give you the cut patterns.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:06 pm 
Sergeant Major

Who lives in the next farm over. :lol:

And what is the range in that picture?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:31 pm 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
... Who lives in the next farm over ...
empty ... not even any cows for last three years ... I need to call the owner and rent it for my expanding herd !! :)

The range to the target is 660yds (per the write up).

The range to the high ground in the distance is 3 miles ... moving out to 4 miles as to move to the right.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:33 pm 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
... you can rub em with a McDonalds napkin all you want then throw em away when they're scratched.

I was dabbing not rubbing (per the write up) !!! :)

And yes, I almost always have lens caps ... but need a new set and the new set guy didn't get me any yet ... :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:15 pm 
Staff Sergeant

That covers the basic scope in the day... what about all that other buck rogers stuff at night ? Ever try using that in a pouring rain ? I hear that's when the Gooks are most likely to attack....

show me the rear bag you'd like... I'll make it for you and mail the covers to you... you fill em...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:52 pm 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
... Why not make your own rear bag that's exactly how you want it ...

Unfortunately, I don't really like rear bags and would rather not use them ... I immediately lost the first one I got back in 2014 and got another ... and I can't believe I haven't lost it yet. But unfortunately, they help in some situations. I just ordered a rear mono-pod. It attaches to the rifle, so I can't loose it and it folds up out of the way when I don't need it. So will try that next.

But I will remember your offer and if I figure out what sort of rear bag I want, I will be in touch !!! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:34 pm 
Sergeant Major

Is a rear bag for spent shells?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:42 pm 
Staff Sergeant

A monopod is just another plastic gadget sticking out of your weapon. It doesn't give you that soft squeeze you want when your making your final adjustment.

I designed a bag that was a narrow triangular wedge that attaches to the sling and fills that space between stock and sling. It's only 2" wide and made from an elastic fleece material so it's always filled firm but will expand as you squeeze. My company was going to patent it but never got around to it. Ill see if I have a photo tomorrow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1636 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149 ... 164  Next