maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 133, 134, 135, 136, 137  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shooting and Firearms
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:01 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2726
Anthropoid wrote:
They are not just a big problem for farming Nero. How beneficial do you think an invasive species like a god damn 400 pound boar is for natural ecology?

Eradication needs to be the goal everywhere they are running loose and farmers who do not properly contain their herds need to be hard punished.

How about Asian carp, if those can spread to the Great Lakes it is trouble. But perhaps introducing Nile perch will solve that Asian carp problem and develop Nile perch problem instead. I have tasted Nile perch, and I prefer local perch, no comparison.

Perhaps Joe from down under can enlighten us on the issue of invasive species.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:00 am 
PFC

Reputation points: 1268
I'm going to get my first old-school bolt-action rifle.

A local shop has an 1870 Vetterli, a 1944 Mosin Nagant (carbine w/folding bayonet - cool!), a Vz.24 Czech Mauser, a Hanyang 88 (Chinese Gewehr 88), and some Springfield 1903s. They are all in above average condition; some of the Springfields are in excellent condition and look almost new.

I prefer the Springfields, but they are all 1100+. The others listed are in the 500-700 range, which is in my budget.

Your thoughts?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:14 am 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 6860
Save up for the Springfield

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:58 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 9548
Overmann wrote:
I'm going to get my first old-school bolt-action rifle.

A local shop has an 1870 Vetterli, a 1944 Mosin Nagant (carbine w/folding bayonet - cool!), a Vz.24 Czech Mauser, a Hanyang 88 (Chinese Gewehr 88), and some Springfield 1903s. They are all in above average condition; some of the Springfields are in excellent condition and look almost new.

I prefer the Springfields, but they are all 1100+. The others listed are in the 500-700 range, which is in my budget.

Your thoughts?

If I knew I had a "nearly new Springfield 1903" at hand to buy for under $2000 . . . I'd be hard pressed not to embark on the campaign to convince the breadwinner wife to let me buy it, despite the fact I'd probably rarely if ever shoot it (unless I make some pretty serious lifestyle changes) and all I could really do would be polish it and gaze at it lovingly :lol:

Some years back, one organization or another discovered a cache of thousands of them that had been stored away and forgotten. I believe they made a large chunk of these available for the public to buy as part of the Civilian Marksmanship program (whatever it was called). I believe they were only charging in the hundreds of dollars. I believe all of those are gobbled up though.

Not sure if "$1,100+" is high or insanely high for a >100 year old rifle. You'd have to ask a true rifleman like Jwilk. But as a "sniper groupie," those are my thoughts!

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:20 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 9540
I had a 1943 Canadian SMLE ... I inherited it from Scholl ... but was only able to sell it for $400 ... they were going on GB for $400 to $500 .. so it depends on the model how rare it is, the condition etc.
I have a buddy who has about a dozen WWII bolt guns and I like cleaning them etc. But as far as being useful in my shooting styles ... nada ... they are just nice firearms ... and if I had some I would keep them cleaned up, like museum pieces ... and not shoot them much ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:13 pm 
Oppressive Tyrant and Enemy of Truth

Reputation points: 12587
I have a '44 Mosin Nagant w/bayonet I got in a pawn shop for $60.00 The bolt assembly in itself is a lethal weapon. Said bolt assembly is extremely hard to put back together once taken apart.

The '03 is a thing of beauty, but overpriced. The SMLE is a lot less rare and can be had for a fraction of the price.

The SMLE is an excellent rifle with one of the smoothest actions ever made. There is a reason the British kept it around for so long. In an era when everyone wants a black rifle. you can get a deal on classics like the K-98, Winchester '94, and other historic favorites.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:58 pm 
PFC

Reputation points: 1268
Most of the Springfields were 2500-3k. The cheapest was 1100. I think I may just say up, but I also want something that is relatively cheap and easy to practice on. I prefer iron and wood, not plastic, which is why some of the modern stuff is not appealing to me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:03 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 3769
Before you purchase an 03 be sure you read up on what serial numbers are considered unsafe to fire. I won't go into all the details here, but certain models from the WW1 era are considered unsafe... Their receivers were not properly heat treated.

I've owned just about every type of rifle from the wood and steel era. For me the No.4 Enfield would be the one ... If you were only going to have 1.... There is an elegance and history to that weapon that few of the others match.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:12 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11032
Overmann wrote:
I prefer iron and wood, not plastic, which is why some of the modern stuff is not appealing to me.

+ if I could. Plastic guns. Yuck.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:26 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 3769
Also your pricing is way off... I just sold this 03a3 in near pristine condition for $800 on armslist.... Keep looking..

found a quick link on the unsafe guns... there is some debate about whether you need to worry... but why take a chance with that kind of money and danger involved ? I've shot several low serial number guns and none blew up... but I never lost the fear that they might.... Better to purchase that peace of mind imo.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulle ... 903-rifles

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 133, 134, 135, 136, 137  Next