maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1405 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 141  Next
 Post subject: Shooting and Firearms
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:19 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 11289
Idea is to separate discussion of shooting and firearms from discussion of "Gun Legislation". We will still use the "Gun Legislation" for major news in that area, but for pure shooting and firearms discussions, we can try this thread. Chi and Joe discussed various options and this option seemed to be the most agreeable.

So, here is my first report from last night.

==

2013-11-16

2000 Full Moon, partly cloudy,

wind initially while at 50yds, 3-8 mhp SW, I am shooting NNW.
wind at 100yds 5-15 mph SW, I am shooting NNW.

As I was riding to the shooting area in the buggy I spotted two Coyotes running from our creek up a ridge. I was rolling with lights out, the Coyotes were skylined briefly on the ridge at about 150yds. I pursed but did not catch sight again.

Was shooting 7.62x51 DM18A1B1 German plastic training ammo. This is 10 gr, 4000 fps.

My night vision is due back Monday, and low winds are forecast for Monday night, so trying to prepare, confirm zero etc.

Firing Sig716 7.62x51 NATO (.308WIN) with Lp 3.5x-10x40 M2 Ill Ret and Harris bipod. Mounted 2000 Lumen Tac light. Also tried new PR Tripod for the first time.

I could see the target at 50yds with no tac light as the moon was full.
Fired 2 rounds at 50yds first one on right side of paper, I held over half a moa and was high center for second shot. These two rounds were fired from tripod standing. I used the lowest setting of the Ill Ret and could still see the target. Magnification was on 3.5x. This was the first time I had used the Ill Ret to advantage. I was unable to see the reticle without the illumination. On the other hand, had I tried to use any illumination setting other than the lowest possible, I would not have been able to see the target. As it was I aimed at the target with the center of the reticle off the target and then moved the reticle to the spot I wanted just before firing. I could not see the center dot of the target.

Moon obscured by clouds after second round at 100yds, also as wind picked up, my purpose of trying to confirm zero at 150yds with this light ammo, would not be meet, so I did RTB. I will just be ready to go out and shoot whenever the wind is low enough, until I think I am zeroed.

Here is pic of target:

Here is pic of rifle:

recap of "firsts" for this exercise:

01 - Saw two coyotes at night

02 - No lights or NV used for firing or navigating. Except for my 3 lumen red pocket light used to patch targets before shooting and the reticle illumination, no light or NV were used. Oh my phone camera flashed when I took the target pic.

03 - PR Tripod used when unable to see over grass. I had been firing from back of buggy, but buggy is too unstable in wind (rocks back and forth).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Shooting and Firearms
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:45 pm 
First Sergeant

from another forum ...

Quote:
If you like your guns, you can keep them !!!

:lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:38 pm 
First Sergeant

2013-11-17/18

17th
Was able to repeat last night's use of Ill Ret to shoot in full moon conditions with no lights or NV and only the Ill Ret.

18th
I don’t know about that kraut ammo … today was the lowest wind day we will have for a while … nominally 4 mph … actually I’d call it 0-4 … I was shooting at 100yds (actually 107yds by the laser range finder) … I “zeroed” at this 100 (107) yards place … but my rounds still would not group very well, even though I was getting on paper consistently. Here is why … even at 2 mph … the drift at 100 yards is 6.24 … wow !

The above makes the .22LR I shoot … Federal 40 gr, 1200 FPS look like 50 BMG :D:D in comparison …

I guess I will switch my strategy and only shoot “real” ammo out of the 7.62x51 (.308WIN) … but I’ll keep the blue stuff around for “rainy days” ?

With the NV returning I will swtich the scopes and put the 3.5x-10x40 M2 Ill Ret on the .22LR and the 6.5x-20x50 TMR on the 7.62 ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:42 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16223
Video of a Marine sniper who "ruled" Falujah.

He mentions some things that I (in my wholly inexperienced opinion) thought might be useful or relevant to the thread topic.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:54 pm 
First Sergeant

2013-11-23 & 24

Weapons:

.22LR with LP 3.5-10x40 M2 Ill Ret, Atlas Bipod, 100L TacLight, Tac Interventions Sling.

.45 m1911 with 3800K TacLilght.

Ammo:

.22LR Federal 40gr 1200fps

.45 Winchester 230Gr 835fps

Night 2013-11-23 2200 14F
3-8 mph NE, firing to the NNW
moon has not risen

3 rds .45 at 50yds with 3800L taclight in left hand and .45 in right hand all rounds within 6 inches of aiming point.

confirming zero at 100yds with .22LR first round is to the left, 2 clicks right, rounds 2 and 3 and tight.

Day 2013-11-24 1400 26F
3-8 mph SW, firing to the NNW

3 rds .45 at 100yds, teacup, two rds on paper third round low right.

6 rds .22LR at 150yds, Hold over 1 MIL up dead center aiming for pink dot. Rounds 1-3 low right, 2 on paper, one off to the bottom right. Hold over 2 MIL up half mil left all rounds within 3 inches of pink dot.

6 rds .22LR at 200yds, Hold over 4 mil up, 1.5 mil left, 2 rds on paper 1 rds low. Aiming point center mass between 3 pink dots and 2 green dot on upper left side of paper. Next three rounds 4.5 mil up 2.5 mil left all rounds within 4 inches of aiming point.

On right side of photo, buggy is sitting at 150yd firing position. On left side of photo .22lR and spotting scope are on the ground.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:47 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 5613
Holy shit it is flat as a pancake!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to make a road trip to some woods and dig up some trees, they obviously are not native to Kansas. I bet the wind get's to hooking something evil around there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:56 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 7610
2ndAcr wrote:
Holy shit it is flat as a pancake!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to make a road trip to some woods and dig up some trees, they obviously are not native to Kansas. I bet the wind get's to hooking something evil around there.

Flat? We wish we were that hilly out here in the South Plains!! :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:12 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2562
Man, I'd love to live in flyover country. I'd be the ideal citizen.

BTW, the EU intends to ban everything semiauto. I don't know what to say to that apart from that they're obviously very afraid of their own population.

I know, but big girls need love too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:29 am 
First Sergeant

2ndAcr wrote:
Holy shit it is flat as a pancake!!!!!!!!!!!! ...

No, no, no ... not flat as a pancake :D ... this is the FLINT HILLs !!! It is not the Himalaya but our elevation in Wabaunsee County runs from about 880 feet on the Kansas River up to about 1700 feet at several high points.
On Joe's land our elevations run from 1150 up to 1309. Our land is about 30% "criks and woods".

Quote:

Flat? We wish we were that hilly out here in the South Plains!!

Exactly !!!

Quote:
BTW, the EU intends to ban everything semiauto ...

Tell them "good luck with that !!!" for us will ya !!!
I mean figuring out what "semiauto" MEANS will be tough enough ...
most lever guns for instance ... were called "repeaters" when they first came out ... because they weren't single shot muzzleloaders ...
But I guess technically "semiauto" would include both my pistol and rifle shown above.

I figured 2ndAcr and reinald would be taking me to task for "improper use of a firearm" for firing my pistol at 50yds and 100yds and they're talking about my land and semi-autos instead!!!

Here are a few more pics of our land showing some hills and trees and criks ...

01 - Looking West from hill 1309, the high point on our land. You can see a single tree at the top of our other hill, we call it either "Lone Tree Hill" or "Signal Hill". The higher ground in the distance is the divide between our creek system (Mission Creek) and the other major creek system in our county (Mill). We are about one mile from that divide which is about 1450. In the center of this pic, you can see our pond.

02 - Turkey Bluff, so called because Turkey's often roost up here on the banks above the creek.

03 - North Branch - this is the low ground on our land 1150 foot, showing the frozen creek, the North Branch of Mission Creek.

==

Hey reinald, come on down, we'll show you the Hay business !!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:50 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 5613
Nah, you can shoot at any range, just don't want you to think I can hit a target at 100 yards so I am good to go for self defense.........that is a total different ball of wax.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1405 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 141  Next