maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134 ... 141  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shooting and Firearms
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:08 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10688
Meanwhile, ANY proof that suppressors somehow worsen public safety? ANY, any AT ALL!?

Has a suppressor been used in a criminal firearms homicide (or manslaughter) ever in the entire history of the United States? Okay, so lets assume there has been at least one (No Country has a few, but not sure those should count since they were make-believe . . .). Lets assume that every criminal use of a firearm in the last 12 months also had a supressor . . . would it have made ANY difference to any of those crimes? Would it have made the crimes more likely, more egregious, more harmful, anything?

The same thing goes for full-auto for that matter. Leaving out the 1920s and 30s when the insanity of Prohibition brought the biggest crime wave in U.S. history . . . I'm aware of ONE major crime in the U.S. where full-auto was involved, and where it made a difference. Those were ILLEGALLY obtained. There are surely more than just that one I know about (1980s bank heist in California, two steroid-adled weightlifters, wanna say they were recent European immigrants maybe? . . . anyway . . .) but I'd be willing to bet, that every single one of those weapons was simply a black market weapon, NOT an illegally modified semi-auto, nor a legally purchased full-auto.

In the absence of PROOF that these laws do what they are putatively intended to do: promote social welfare, then one must recognize that their predominant effect may well be to do what they certainly do: curtail lawful citizens constitutional rights, which is a nice way to say "oppress."

I have never, EVER, heard any "pro-2nd Amendment" group make anything remotely like that coherent of an argument, and presumably they have the budget and the staff to both do the research, martial the facts, and make the infomercials. Meanwhile, guys like us sit here stewing in a low-traffic Grog bulletin board harassed by drug addicts, conspiracy theorists, and trolls.

Midol flows.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:03 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2562
We got an old ban on suppressors. The reason was poaching. Now professional hunters can obtain supressors, the reason, ironically, being EU workplace safety regulations concerning noise.

I know, but big girls need love too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:17 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 11164
trumpf is already a success ... all my ammo types are in stock and prices have dropped from last 12 months average. Back in October, I had most of my ammo out of stock with prices higher than last 12 months average - so trumpf has already made great progress!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:44 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2562
I wish we could get ammo. And if there were, at reasonable prices.

Bought another CZ for a thousand bucks instead. :shock:

I know, but big girls need love too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:24 pm 
First Sergeant

I've started preparing to shoot in some actual competition events later this year. For various reasons the rifle I'll be using is not the most optimal from a distance perspective, though it is one of the 2 most accurate I own. My buddy will be using my .300WM in these competitions - that's the other most accurate I have.

Neither of us have ever done comps before, though we have both shot out there at this ranch (SPR) before on our own.

The long range stage is 100 yd increments between 400 and 1400. You are allowed a maximum of 2 shots per distance and there is a time limit for the stage, it is either 2 minutes or 3 minutes I forget.

The other stages involve known distance shooting between 200 yds and 500yds with some movers. I think all stages have time limits. We are told to bring 250yds, but 200rds is more than enough.

There is usually a fair amount of wind out there. Though it is usually fairly consistent due to the open terrain in West Kansas.

So I'll be using 5.56(18) with 77gr TMK, Black Hills load for 5.56. And I'll have Burris 5-25x scr-mil on top with Atlas bipod. Here is shot of rifle at 500yd FP on my land.

Here's a side view from another day.

I wound up using a riser for the 5-25x so get it up higher and to get it farther forward. The old DD rails on this upper are due to be replaced and I already bought the seekins rails I will replace them with. But for this one purpose I'm preparing for ... having the clunky old (HEAVY) DD rails up is actually good. So I'm waiting until after the comp shoot before I replace the rails. But I'd expect to lighten the rifle by maybe a pound - the DD rails are very heavy and the seekins rails are veryu light. By 6.5G(18) upper is way lighter than this 5.56(18) upper.

==

I got some new steel targets and set one up at the main berm. On the first day I tried it we had snowy windy conditions and I got 6/10 hits. For the first few shots I was not able to see any "splash" or hear any definitive "clank" or see any definitive target movement. But then I finally saw a miss just barely to the left and I think I was on target after that.

I would not normally run the 5-25x on this rifle, but we don't always get to do what is optimal. Even using this rifle for this shoot is not optimal on the shooting side anyway.

==

I am zero stopped at 500yds for the 77gr TMK. With this DOPE card for 30F

The center column is mils of elevation, the right column is mils of wind for a 10 mph 90 degree cross wind.

For practicing out to 600yds on my land, I'm using Freedom Munitions (FM) 55gr reman in .223, which strangely seems to have a very close drop to the 77gr BH at 500yds. So at least at 500yds I can use the 55gr FM(R) to simulate the 77gr TMK. It is a couple of inches high or low, depending on the temperature, but close enough for current purposes. Of course the wind is different. The wind at 500yds is 2.0 mils for the 55gr, versus the 1.3 mils for the 77gr.

==

So here is the 6 hits on the target from the fisrt day it got used. The aim point was the head, because I believed I would hit low. I use AB ballistic calculator, Kestrel 2500NV wind meter and Bushy 1600 arc elite LRF.

The wind on this day was 15 with spikes to 22 close to 150 degrees off the bullet path. I could see the wind via the snow fall and could see the increases and decreases of the wind. So that was good. I was holding nominal 1.25 mils for wind, but increased to 1.5 after I saw the miss. Due to the various elevation changes and tree lines and that I am shooting down to lower elevation along the length of a "valley" the wind intensity and direction are not consistent all along the bullet path.

==

A couple of days later ... Fired another 10 rd group and got 8/10 (the red NO icons are the hits from the first session above). This day the wind was 15.1 for 2 min avg at 210 off the bullet path. I held 1.0 and was off to the left, 2nd shot the same. Increased hold to 1.25 and saw a spark on the left side (we see a "half" hit on the left side of the neck). Increased to 1.5 and hit for the rest. Again, I could not hear any definitive strike sound or see any definitive target movement. But I could see the grey splotches appearing on the target, so I knew I was hitting. This is "AR500" 3/8 inch so I guess it is rather heavy for the 5.56 bullets.

==

A few days later .. finally got some paint :) ... wind was 3 MPH directly behind, so I did not hold for wind. Temp was 40F. I was aiming a little low right of center of mass due to tiny wind and thinking I would hit a little high.

Got 7/10 hits this time. Misses were to the right, so the wind did actually matter. But it was tough to judge the direction. I could not see any indication of hits this time, other than absence of splash.

==

And last but not least, tried again that same day with a new coat of paint and got 10/10. Again aiming low right. Could see some splotches this time (fresh paint).

==

Summary: Well I think the gear is working anyway. The eye relief seems to work, the bipod works, the scope works. Even the 30 cent per round ammo works for getting comfortable with the setup. I got 300rds to use for this event. Nominal 100 to prepare and 200 for the shoot. That is the 77gr TMK. But waiting for buddy to come out then we will do 400, 500 and 600 and I will try to build another berm to let us get to 1000yds on my land but should barely be possible in the cooler months, shooting between the tops of some giant trees from way up on a ridge down across the creek into one of our pastures on the other side of the creek. Won't work in the summer due to more vegetation (and more cattle).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:05 pm 
First Sergeant

Quote:
Three senior ISIS terrorists were killed in Iraq– with only one shot fired.

An elite sniper in the UK’s Special Air Service fired one .338 Lapua Magnum bullet at a group of terrorists over a mile away in a small town outside of Mosul in northern Iraq, The Daily Star Sunday reported.

In an amazing feat of marksmanship, the sniper’s shot managed to directly strike two terrorists, killing them instantly, before ricocheting into a third, killing him as well.

“No one could quite believe what had happened,” a source told The Daily Star Sunday, calling it a “one-in-a-million” shot.

The sniper’s unit had been tracking a group of senior ISIS terrorists, who were planning on slaughtering the inhabitants of the small town. When the terrorists attempted to corral fleeing women and children and pointed their weapons at them, the SAS unit decided to intervene.

After the shooting, the SAS squad entered the town to confirm that the three terrorists were in fact dead, and that no other ISIS forces were in the vicinity.

The incident reportedly took place in November, but was only disclosed to the public on Sunday.

[url]http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/223698/url]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:35 am 
First Sergeant

Three for one . . . Wow!

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:49 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16098
jwilkerson wrote:

Quote:
Three senior ISIS terrorists were killed in Iraq– with only one shot fired.

An elite sniper in the UK’s Special Air Service fired one .338 Lapua Magnum bullet at a group of terrorists over a mile away in a small town outside of Mosul in northern Iraq, The Daily Star Sunday reported.

In an amazing feat of marksmanship, the sniper’s shot managed to directly strike two terrorists, killing them instantly, before ricocheting into a third, killing him as well.

“No one could quite believe what had happened,” a source told The Daily Star Sunday, calling it a “one-in-a-million” shot.

The sniper’s unit had been tracking a group of senior ISIS terrorists, who were planning on slaughtering the inhabitants of the small town. When the terrorists attempted to corral fleeing women and children and pointed their weapons at them, the SAS unit decided to intervene.

After the shooting, the SAS squad entered the town to confirm that the three terrorists were in fact dead, and that no other ISIS forces were in the vicinity.

The incident reportedly took place in November, but was only disclosed to the public on Sunday.

[url]http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/223698/url]

Due to budget cuts in the British defence budget the British snipers are all now required to hit 2 enemy with each bullet.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:51 pm 
First Sergeant

2nd Amendment: Better than "Feminism"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:58 pm 
First Sergeant

A fairly standard "long night" kit ...

The "shine" is the flash of the camera, the NODs are powered off. The backpack usually has water bladder, 2 protein bars ... a small first aid kit ... sometimes the foxpro and small tripod ... and other spare "stuff". The helmet also has spare batteries of various flavors and some .45ACP mags with 7rds each as part of the counterweight mass.
The radio comes in handy when out with multiple people as we can spreadout and still whisper. When on all night hunt I carry 3 mags of 25 rds each. What ammo depends on the critter. For hogs, the Barnes 62gr TSX, Black Hills load. For most others the 77gr SMK various loads. I double zero at 50/200 (plus or minus) and have under 2 inches variance between those distances, so can aim center of mass and hit.
The Steiner CQBL-1 laser is useful with the 14 for quick shots, when like a coyote runs in on you when you aren't ready. Which happens surprisingly often.

Oh, that is a Colt 5.56(10.3) upper on a Spikes lower.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134 ... 141  Next