maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1556 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150 ... 156  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shooting and Firearms
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:54 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13177
Gump wrote:
That covers the basic scope in the day... what about all that other buck rogers stuff at night ? Ever try using that in a pouring rain ? I hear that's when the Gooks are most likely to attack....

show me the rear bag you'd like... I'll make it for you and mail the covers to you... you fill em...

Oh yes ... I got Armasight to give me a free thermal in 2015 because I used the first one I bought in three Noah's rains and proved it was NOT water proof. They had advertised it to be water proof to 33 feet for 2 hours. It was not. I like shooting in the rain and ice and snow ... good trainin' ...

If you look closely, you can see the tape around the meeting point between the clipon and the day scope. That helps in two ways ... it prevents light, such as moonlight from getting in there and messing up the image ... and it prevents ice and snow and rain from getting on the rear lens of the clipon and the front lens of the scope ... so I learned this stuff back in 2014 ... when my lenses got ice on them and I couldn't shoot ...

And all the nv/thermals have good covers ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:00 pm 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
A monopod is just another plastic gadget sticking out of your weapon. It doesn't give you that soft squeeze you want when your making your final adjustment.

The one I'm getting is aluminum ... and has a knob on the side you turn for fine adjustments.

The only one I've ever used is on the Barrett, that one rotates for fine adjustments and notches up and down for gross adjustments.

http://www.accu-shot.com/catalog_new/accu-shot-monopods-official-manufacturer/63-bt13-qk-prm-precision-rail-monopod-mid-range-with-qk02-quick-knob.html

==
I'd be happy to try/buy one of yours ... might as well try a different one from the one I have ! :)

My current probably might be a simple as "the layers of grass provide a certain bounce" to the recoil of the gun" ... :D Not sure about that, but the possibility just occurred to me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:29 am 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 5019
The trouble with the bags on the market is that they're too large and sloppy... you don't need all that. You just need something thin that will support the rifle and allow you to make fine adjustments without moving your body.

This is the bag I designed... it's made from a loop material that will let you stick Velcro to it anywhere. That allows you to position the bag and keep it on the rifle, but still be easy to remove.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:45 am 
Sergeant Major

I love the velcro idea .. because one of my major objections to the rear bag idea is how easy it was to loose my first one. Don't want to become any more dependent on one piece of gear.

Is that your .22LR ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:52 am 
Staff Sergeant

yes... suppressed.... I've gotten to the point where I'm pretty sure I can kill anything on earth with that... not much need for anti tank guns anymore...

A strip of adhesive hook Velcro holds it to the stock.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:20 pm 
Sergeant Major

What do you use for front support ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:18 pm 
Staff Sergeant

My bench has a rest in front. When I need a bipod I have one that fits the front sling point.

I don't use stationary gear much.. I've gotten into a mode where I try to move and shoot almost everything offhand or with available support. The only shooting I really enjoy anymore is instinctive shooting... like a bow and arrow. Scope shooting is work... for eliminating varmints... not much fun in that but necessary.

I take the sights off the gun and just leave the scope rail. I don't look at sights at all.. only focusing both eyes on the point I want to hit..... if you haven't tried that you should... It adds a much more natural feel to shooting that is completely lacking with all the gizmos... When you finally get tired of the long range game you'll be surprised how much fun that can be.... Set up a shorter range backstop with lots of fun targets.... You've got about a million years of evolutionary talent that you're ignoring by relying on all that technology.

I also officially don't clean plastic guns anymore... that rifle has about 5000 rounds through it.. never seen a bore brush... still shoots right where you point it.... That's something else that's really enjoyable again... hated cleaning...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:46 am 
Sergeant Major

I'm not much of a "bench" guy ... I prefer more "au-natural" ... I don't even like rear bags ... tripod, bipods or standing unsupported or leanging against a tree or a fence post or prone or kneeling or sitting ... that's about it for me ...

We were taught to "aim with your finger" in the Army I was in at 25 and 50 meters ... lay your finger along side the forearm, point it at the target and shoot.

I clean chambers and lube bolts, but I am a minimalist. I've learned what you have to clean to keep them going. I don't clean barrels, but I run bore snakes through them to pull out some of the grit and try to help the barrel last longer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:18 am 
Staff Sergeant

They call it point shooting or quick kill in the military, but those techniques are really short cuts to the actual skills involved. Human beings have evolved for hundreds of thousands of years. Your body has been specifically engineered to do certain things very well.

One of them is to throw things...like a spear .....just watch a baseball pitcher in slow motion..... another is to take a tool about 30" long and point it at something you want to hit. Whether it's an arrow or a rifle. Your muscles and fine motor controls for doing that have been honed and developed by mother nature well beyond your understanding.

It's also a good observation why humans can't hit anything with a handgun... We simply don't have the training to manipulate a small device like that with any precision... especially under stress. Our muscles and fine controls are designed for a larger scale tool.

It also explains why humans love target sports like shooting or golf.... your brain is programmed to deliver pure pleasure when you hit a target.... like a mastodon with an atlatl .....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:02 am 
Sergeant Major

Actually considering a Finnish rifle for dot drills ...

Finnish ammo also ...

It would be interesting if I wound up shooting Finnish ammo through a Finnish rifle for dot drills ...

==

Alternatively looking at Ruger ..

And sticking with current Eley Ammo ... so that would be a TGFKAO rifle with Brit ammo ...

==
My current .22LR is great for vermin/varmints ... but not so great for dots ...

Image where results are measure in terms of like 1/32 of an inch at 50yds ...

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1556 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150 ... 156  Next