maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141
 Post subject: Re: Shooting and Firearms
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:24 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 11289
Well, went out yesterday to try RAPTAR in the field and got "error 1" message for all ranging attempts.
Came back to the house and checked with the viz laser and it was off 1 mil right and 3 mils low.   
I've been told that running it on the front rail does work and I guess I am proving that!    
Getting a scope ring mount that will work with the UTC will be a custom job and will take a month or so at the machine shop (they are usually several weeks behind).   In the mean time, I can try it at night by rezeroing each time I go out, it isn't that hard.

This is not a RAPTAR issue, this is a mounting issue.
The UTC clipon is too high.   The apertures of the RAPTAR do not clear the UTC when mounted with the Badger RAPTAR mounting system.    Not even close.   So will have to make a new Badger like system that is half inch to 1 inch higher.   Next challenge is to try to figure out how much higher.   But 1 inch would do it for sure.   

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:43 am 
First Sergeant

2017-12-06
2030-2130
20F
15 MPH NW

Goal: Check lasers

Environment: Cool and windy from the NW with gusts to 20 mph. Stars visible. Moon began to rise near the end of the session.

Equipment: Bump helmet, PVS-14, PAS-29 10mm 1x 320(30), ODIN 17mm 1x 320(30), B850 ir-illuminator, 3 Lumen RGBW viz light. From top to bottom:
.22lr, Laser Max ir-laser, eley 40gr hp subsonic
5.56(10.5), PAQ-4C ir-laser, FM(r) 77gr
5.56(10.3), CQBL-1 ir-laser, FM(r) 77gr

Activity:

Set up three targets on the target board one above the other, 50yd NRA paper targets. All firing from 50yd FP, off tripod using HOG saddle to hold the guns.

5.56(10.5) up first. I was able to co-witness the ir-laser to the already zeroed holosun P515 reflex sight last night. Three round group, 2 inches, 1 in 10, 9 and 8. I aimed by lining up laser to the right and moving in from the right, I could use the vertical string of targets to line up. But I was pulling the trigger a little too early to judge from the results. But this laser was hitting within tolerance. I aimed the laser at objects between 50 and 100yds away and the laser looked much better at distance. It had bloomed up a bit at 50yds but at 100-200yds it was a tiny dot. I did use the ir-illuminator to try to suppress the bloom. The carbine is double zeroed at 50/160 with maximum vertical offset 1.7 inches high at 120yds. And now so is the laser.

5.56(10.3) up second. I had removed the Trijicon mk3 to send it in for 60mm upgrade. This thre round group was off the paper. I will need to mount the Burris 536 scope on it, zero and co-witness the laser and try again. Looked at the laser from a distance it was not as tight a beam as the PAQ-4C, but I think it was brighter.

.22LR(16) up third. Three round group 4 inches to the right, 2 inch group. Checked the laser at distance, it was actually tiny. I'm using a custom kydex cover on this laser and that really helps suppress the bloom. Also, this laser was the smallest on the target. Crazy that the lowest cost laser of the three has the smallest beam over all (of these three anyway, I have three others).

Results/Summary: Well only the PAQ-4C is within tolerance, that's because I was able to co-witness it last night. The others haven't had zero checked in a year. I will zero the Burris AR-536 scope on the 5.56(10.3) and then co-witness the CQBL to the scope. Then will move the scope to the .22lr (where it will stay). While the Mk3 is out, I'll be practicing up with the lasers.

I've never used exactly this setup on the helmet with the ODIN on the left eye and the 14/PAS-29 on the right eye, but it worked. I'm not used to nucing the ODIN with my left hand and that will take some more practice. Otherwise, everything worked fine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:55 pm 
First Sergeant

2017-12-10
1830-1900
40F
5 MPH NW

Goal: Check RAPTAR

Environment: clear, stars, no moon, wind from NW.

Equipment: 5.56(18), L&S 3-18x H58, PVS-14 mounted on rear of scope, later, UTC-x mounted in front. Manfrotto m055 tripod with 322RC-2 head.

The pic shows all the gear but the UTC was not mounted during the zeroing process.

Activity:

STEP01 - Zero ir-laser to the reticle.
I had already zeroed the day scope at 100yds. Badger finally sent me the correct screws to mount the RAPTAR mount to the scope rings, so I did that and mounted the RAPTAR, testing in the house revealed the lasers could all see past the bell of the UTC. In the RAPTAR the three lasers, the red viz, the ir-pointer and the LRF laser all shine thru the same aperture. Though from slightly different positions.
So I had zeroed the xiz laser to the reticle in the house. That gets it close enough that when you go outside and try to zero the ir-laser at longer distance you can see it in the FOV of the scope.
When mounted at 12 o'clock on top of the scope, the adjustments just happen to work just like most day scopes. Counter clock wise on the knob on the top of the RAPTAR is "up" CW is down. For the knob on the side, turning the top of the knob towards you is right and top of the knob away is left. So this is easy to remember! So, I powered on the 14. I pointed the reticle at a mineral feeder I knew to be 415yds away and cranked the magnification all the way up to 18x. I set the selector switch on the RAPTAR to IR-laser, which is one click CCW from off. Then adjusted the ir-laser on to the center of the reticle on the mineral feeder. I Had attached the pressure switch, so I was using that to turn the laser on/off. Then I hit the range button and read 378 and did a little arithmetic and got 415 yds ! Further more, I could SEE the distance on the back of the display with my left eye, without taking my right eye off the reticle on the target. I had not expected that !!!.
I then checked a tree at 74 meters and another tree at 91 meters.

STEP02 - Test with the thermal clipon
Then I removed the 14 assembly from the back of the day scope.
And I mounted the UTC-x to the front. I use larue rail clips, so I can feel the top to start the
I re-lased the mineral feeder. This time, my eye was a little closer to the back of the scope and I could not quite see over the top of the turrets. I rechecked the two trees and they matched. So I was lasing targets with the RAPTAR with the UTC clipped on giving me 18x with the H58 reticle. This was the goal !

I need to take it out to the pasture at our highest point, were I can lase a known object at 770yds

Results/Summary: L&S says they will replace the M5B2 turrets I have for the M5C2 turrets for $220. The C2 turrets are lower, I bet I'll be able to see over them. I might do that upgrade. I was thinking about it anyway since I do not like the B2 elevation turret.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:14 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16223
jwilkerson wrote:
2017-12-10
1830-1900
40F
5 MPH NW

Goal: Check RAPTAR

Environment: clear, stars, no moon, wind from NW.

Equipment: 5.56(18), L&S 3-18x H58, PVS-14 mounted on rear of scope, later, UTC-x mounted in front. Manfrotto m055 tripod with 322RC-2 head.

The pic shows all the gear but the UTC was not mounted during the zeroing process.

Activity:

STEP01 - Zero ir-laser to the reticle.
I had already zeroed the day scope at 100yds. Badger finally sent me the correct screws to mount the RAPTAR mount to the scope rings, so I did that and mounted the RAPTAR, testing in the house revealed the lasers could all see past the bell of the UTC. In the RAPTAR the three lasers, the red viz, the ir-pointer and the LRF laser all shine thru the same aperture. Though from slightly different positions.
So I had zeroed the xiz laser to the reticle in the house. That gets it close enough that when you go outside and try to zero the ir-laser at longer distance you can see it in the FOV of the scope.
When mounted at 12 o'clock on top of the scope, the adjustments just happen to work just like most day scopes. Counter clock wise on the knob on the top of the RAPTAR is "up" CW is down. For the knob on the side, turning the top of the knob towards you is right and top of the knob away is left. So this is easy to remember! So, I powered on the 14. I pointed the reticle at a mineral feeder I knew to be 415yds away and cranked the magnification all the way up to 18x. I set the selector switch on the RAPTAR to IR-laser, which is one click CCW from off. Then adjusted the ir-laser on to the center of the reticle on the mineral feeder. I Had attached the pressure switch, so I was using that to turn the laser on/off. Then I hit the range button and read 378 and did a little arithmetic and got 415 yds ! Further more, I could SEE the distance on the back of the display with my left eye, without taking my right eye off the reticle on the target. I had not expected that !!!.
I then checked a tree at 74 meters and another tree at 91 meters.

STEP02 - Test with the thermal clipon
Then I removed the 14 assembly from the back of the day scope.
And I mounted the UTC-x to the front. I use larue rail clips, so I can feel the top to start the
I re-lased the mineral feeder. This time, my eye was a little closer to the back of the scope and I could not quite see over the top of the turrets. I rechecked the two trees and they matched. So I was lasing targets with the RAPTAR with the UTC clipped on giving me 18x with the H58 reticle. This was the goal !

I need to take it out to the pasture at our highest point, were I can lase a known object at 770yds

Results/Summary: L&S says they will replace the M5B2 turrets I have for the M5C2 turrets for $220. The C2 turrets are lower, I bet I'll be able to see over them. I might do that upgrade. I was thinking about it anyway since I do not like the B2 elevation turret.

Had Wilkerson lived in the 1700's:

;)

[I cannot take credit for creating that pic. I saw it at Ace of Spades HQ)

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:45 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 14573
If JW ever 'loses it' he'll kill everything w/in 2 miles of im. If the zombie apocalypse hits I'm moving in w/ im. I can't shoot as good but I can tote im more ammo.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141