maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon May 01, 2017 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 129, 130, 131, 132, 133  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shooting and Firearms
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:08 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 8132
Commando farmer!

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:44 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 12744

A clever advertisement. ;-)

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:15 pm 
First Sergeant

Heh, I need some a that stuff.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:23 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 8258
Do not look at this post if you are offended by hunting or animal control type activities !!!

==

After selling Q-14, I have moved the ODIN from the helmet to the .22lr for chicken coop defense, which is primarily rats, but an occasional coon or opossum that get within 100yds.

Last night's report ...

==

2017-03-27
2200-2400
40F
10 mph N

Goal: Coop patrol

Environment: Overcast, no moon, no stars, cool, a bit of a breeze. Ground still wet, from 5 days of rain, with rain forecast pretty steadily over the next 2 weeks.

Equipment: .22LR, eley 40gr hp, subsonic. Spartan 3, ODIN 17mm, 1x 320(30), amber filter on back, bulter creek flipup on front.

Activity: Went out and closed coop door. Saw several critters along the creek bank, they had detected me and were staying in the underbrush. A pile of yotes started hollering from within 400yds, from the alfalfa patch to the North, I could see three of them to the NNE in the alfalfa patch, the others were behind the apple orchard to the NW. After the hollering they disappeared and no further encounters with yotes were had last night. I stalked South up the slope into some shadows in case the yotes came south to my west, but they did not. I saw three rats near the green house - noted their existence and will go after them another night. Then stalked North and then East along the creek which was running even more intensely than last night. I was now in deep shadows and had good sound cover. As I approached the area around the woodshed (a favorite handout for rats) I saw one, it apparently detected me and headed up a tree. I could not see it. So, I decided to stalk around the woodshed and approach from the other direction. I could also thus flush any other rats around the woodshed. No rats were visible in the woodshed, but as I came even with the East outer wall I saw a rat and fired, I was low and the rat was flung up into the sky (this is normal if I forget to hold UP when shooting from inside 10 yds). I fired again holding up over the top of the rat and it splattered and jiggled. I watched for a moment to make sure. Then I proceeded around behind the woodshed from the east and saw the rat in the tree in a "crook" in the tree. I fired and this rat splattered. I then turned and looked along the creek bank and saw another rat on a fallen log, I fired and it flew off the log. I approached and it was still behind the log. I proceeded further down the creek bank. I saw a bird in a bush, but have learned to tell birds in bush from rats, so bird in bush was not disturbed, though sometimes they make noise if I get too close. I returned and checked the positions of all three rats and they had not moved. So picked up each rat and carried to photo area and deposited rats there, from left to right, first, second and third rat in shooting sequence. The hp ammo makes a mess of them sometimes.

Summary/Results: Well I think the 25yd zero is established, but I still want to validate the 65yd double zero. The ODIN seems to work fine, the amber filter seems to work fine, the image is clear. I still did not remember to try black hot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:24 pm 
First Sergeant

If you feed those suckers to crows you can make them your friends!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:27 pm 
First Sergeant

Oh after all the Coons and Opossum I've feed them, they are already my friends!
:D
The crows around here are HUGE and chase off the Red-Tailed Hawks. I am not kidding.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:56 am 
First Sergeant

Jwilk you should do a channel like Hickok45 does :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:21 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 12744
Wilkerson,

I ran across this video on You Tube.
It is a "mouse trap".

It may not be as fun as shooting them, but it seems pretty cheap to make and it looks damn effective.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:47 pm 
First Sergeant

we have 18 bait boxes distributed between our 5 relevant buildings ... we recently refilled them with 88 bait cubes ... we do this quarterly. That probably gets 80% of the rats ... my night practice probably gets another 10% ... and the remaining 10% sustain the population ... I get about 10 per week during the two annual "migration" seasons ... early spring and late fall ... total about 180 in the past 18 months ... I have not seen any at night in 2 weeks ...

But the above does look interesting!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:04 am 
First Sergeant

One thing trumpf has done is bring down ammo prices ...

Eley .22lr hollow point subsonic (my .22lr hunting rounds) back in the days of hussein, these were 25 cents a round ... now they are 15 cents around ... and despite maintaining alerts for the CCI hp subs at 8 cents per round, I've never been able to get any. Once I was sitting at the computer when the alert came in ... couldn't even log on to midway for 10 minutes then couldn't click on the product for another 20m ... by then gone ... you gotta be fast and lucky to get the CCI ... but at 15 cents the Eley is certainly cheaper than it was!

Federal Lake City 5.56 "green tip" now at 36 cents per round. Not shabby.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 129, 130, 131, 132, 133  Next