maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Will political correctness kill Halloween?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:28 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15634
Quote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... rsity.html

By Lucy Kinder11:13AM BST 24 Oct 2013
University of Colorado Boulder tells students to avoid costumes including cowboys, indians, white trash or anything potentially deemed offensive

University students in America have been told not to wear "offensive" halloween costumes including cowboys, indians and anything involving a sombrero.

Students at the University of Colorado Boulder have also been told to avoid "white trash" costumes and anything that portrays a particular culture as "over-sexualised"- which the university says includes dressing up as a geisha or a "squaw" (indigenous woman).

In the letter sent by a university official students are asked to consider the impact that their costumes could have.

Christina Gonzales, the dean of students, wrote: "Making the choice to dress up as someone from another culture, either with the intention of being humorous or without the intention of being disrespectful, can lead to inaccurate and hurtful portrayals of other people's cultures.

People have also chosen costumes that portray particular cultural identities as overly sexualised, such as geishas, "squaws," or stereotypical, such as cowboys and Indians.

Additionally some students have also hosted offensively-themed parties that reinforce negative representations of cultures as being associated with poverty ("ghetto" or "white trash/hillbilly"), or with crime or sex work."

A university spokesman called cowboy costumes a "crude stereotype"

Students at the University of Minnesota- Twin Cities have also been asked to make sure their Halloween costumes are politically correct.

In a letter officials said: "please keep in mind that certain Halloween costumes inappropriately perpetuate racial, cultural, and gender stereotypes."

The move comes at a time when pressure is mounting on one of the most famous American football teams to change their name because of the offence it causes Native Americans.

The campaign for the Washington Redskins to change their name is building momentum, because the term redskin is deemed to be a racist insult.

Earlier this month President Obama said the team should think about changing their name.

What costumes are left that will not be considered offensive to someone?

Witches? Wiccans will be offended.
Ghosts? Not a chance. Cant have someone walking around in a white sheet.

What's left?

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Will political correctness kill Halloween?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:09 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10789
Funny thing is, the American Indians I know are offended by the attempt at political correctness manifested by the noise "Native American". They prefer INDIAN. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:37 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10789
Another funny thing, last year when we did Halloween in the Corporate office, my team dressed up as "Mexican Cowboys" a.k.a. "caballeros". I guess we didn't get the PC memo !!! :)

Another team did "angles" (in white sheets) I think they got first place (they had the most younger females).

... I'd say kill All Saints Eve ... and as I said before ... let's go ahead and kill ALL holidays. Different religions or other clubs could have unofficial holidays, but let's kill all the official holidays. That might give people other things to worry about - like going to school and work!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:57 am 
Sergeant Major

jwilkerson wrote:
Another funny thing, last year when we did Halloween in the Corporate office, my team dressed up as "Mexican Cowboys" a.k.a. "caballeros". I guess we didn't get the PC memo !!! :)

Another team did "angles" (in white sheets) I think they got first place (they had the most younger females).

... I'd say kill All Saints Eve ... and as I said before ... let's go ahead and kill ALL holidays. Different religions or other clubs could have unofficial holidays, but let's kill all the official holidays. That might give people other things to worry about - like going to school and work!

No holidays? (Independence Day)
No observations? (Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, MLK Day)

Eliminate some holidays, you piss off some people.
Eliminate all holidays and you potentially piss off everyone.

You will Piss off so many people that opposition to eliminating ALL holidays will unite nearly everyone in opposition to it.... LOL

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:07 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11823
U of Colorado students should tell the hierarchy to drop dead. Telling bureaucrats and people with authority to "stuff it" is one of the best and most endearing traditions of liberalism.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:10 am 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6383
chijohnaok wrote:
jwilkerson wrote:

No holidays? (Independence Day)
No observations? (Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, MLK Day)

Eliminate some holidays, you piss off some people.
Eliminate all holidays and you potentially piss off everyone.

You will Piss off so many people that opposition to eliminating ALL holidays will unite nearly everyone in opposition to it.... LOL

I read somewhere that one of the reasons why the Catholics slaughtered the Protestants during the Saint Barthélémy was that the Protestants wanted to ban all the hollidays that existed (all those saint days).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:12 am 
Sergeant Major

mdiehl wrote:
U of Colorado students should tell the hierarchy to drop dead. Telling bureaucrats and people with authority to "stuff it" is one of the best and most endearing traditions of liberalism.

MDiehl, your point is valid.

But that is where (IMHO) traditional liberalism (questioning authority) will conflict with those pushing political correctness (a component of contemporary liberals).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:06 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6825
wha?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:04 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 14323
Fine.

Borat :twisted:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:09 pm 
Lance Corporal

Reputation points: 1206

Profile E-mail