All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Walmart forced to lock its doors
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:57 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000

Quote:
Alligator forces Walmart to lock doors

6-foot beast makes unwelcome appearance at Apopka store

Published On: Oct 20 2013 09:53:53 AM EDT Updated On: Oct 20 2013 11:56:09 AM EDT
walmart gator APOPKA, Fla. -
Customers and workers dealt with an unwelcome intruder at a Walmart in Central Florida.

A 6-foot gator slithered up to the Apopka store's entryway Sunday morning and stayed there, causing the automatic doors to open and close.

Employees locked the door to keep the gator out while Apopka police officers tried to lure the animal away.

As customers gathered around to view the alligator and take pictures, the beast took off for the woods.

Officers scoured the swampy area neighboring the building, but lost sight of the alligator.

The gator has not been since since it crawled into the woods.

No one was injured in the incident.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Walmart forced to lock its doors
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:22 pm 
Sergeant Major

I think that is a Chinese alligator.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:08 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13856
Given the presence of a Walmart I'm pretty confident Apopka is one of those backwards-ass red counties that cause the Democratic campaign machine to chew its nails every time they mobilize all the Canadian snowbird, union retirees, and Miami freaky peeps to get out and vote Dem.

As such, I'm guessing that Alligator was a post-shut-down Democrat spy, probably had one of those med chips implanted in its brain and a camera that took footage of everyone who went into the store. Those persons are not identified on NSA databases and will be among the first 'liquidated' in that county when the Final Solution for Equitable Redistribution and Social Justice are executed in late 2014.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:53 am 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
Given the presence of a Walmart I'm pretty confident Apopka is one of those backwards-ass red counties that cause the Democratic campaign machine to chew its nails every time they mobilize all the Canadian snowbird, union retirees, and Miami freaky peeps to get out and vote Dem.

Interesting theory..... ;-) :lol:

The city of Apopka straddles 2 counties: Orange County (which includes the city of Orlando) and Seminole County.

Orange County has been carried by the Democrats in every recent presidential election.
Bob Dole back in 1996 (Dole vs. Clinton) was the last time the GOP carried Orange County in a presidential election (just barely at that).

Seminole County went for Romney in 2012.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:11 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 17020
If he was a hippopotamus he'd have blended right in.

Quote:
Officers scoured the swampy area neighboring the building, but lost sight of the alligator.

Obviously he didn't lose the officers in a hot pursuit. He lumbered his way back toward the swamp and the officers
let im go. Good. No need to shoot im. He's prolly sworn he'll never shop at Walmart again anyway.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:23 pm 
Sergeant Major

C_S wrote:
If he was a hippopotamus he'd have blended right in.

Quote:

Obviously he didn't lose the officers in a hot pursuit. He lumbered his way back toward the swamp and the officers
let im go. Good. No need to shoot im. He's prolly sworn he'll never shop at Walmart again anyway.

But has he sworn off shopping at Target?
;-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:16 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 17020
I'm guessing someone at Walmart was tossing 'expired' food to the alligators.

All the "do not feed the alligators" signs, posted all over the place... It's good advice really.

Even an alligator will lower himself to shop at Target if they've got a good deal on diet cokes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:35 pm 
Sergeant Major

Just received a news blurb on the app for a local Tampa news outlet (WTSP-10 News):Some of Walmart's business locations (actually those of it's Sam's Club wholesale warehouse) have abruptly closed their doors.

I found this on the subject:

http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart- ... res-2018-1

Quote:
Walmart is abruptly closing several Sam's Club stores and laying off thousands of workers, and no one knows why

Hayley Peterson

Sam's Club is closing stores. AP

Walmart is abruptly closing Sam's Club locations across the US. Some stores were closed on Thursday. Others will close at a later date.
Employees were not informed of the closures ahead of the time, according to reports.
The company did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the closures.

Walmart is suddenly closing several Sam's Club stores across the US.

Closures were reported by local media in Texas, New York, New Jersey, Indiana, Arizona, Alaska, and elsewhere.

In some cases, employees were not informed of the closures prior to showing up to work on Thursday.

Instead, they learned that their store would be closing when they found the store's doors locked and a notice announcing the closure, according to reports.

Walmart and Sam's Club did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Sam's Club offered an explanation on Twitter, however, saying, "After a thorough review of our existing portfolio, we’ve decided to close a series of clubs and better align our locations with our strategy. Closing clubs is never easy and we’re committed to working with impacted members and associates through this transition."

Jessica Buckner, an employee of a Sam's Club store in Alaska, told KTVA that all Sam's Club stores in the state are closing.

"From what I heard, there's over 260 stores that have been closed down," Buckner told the station.

The closures come on the same day that Walmart announced it was raising starting hourly wages to $11, expanding employee benefits, and offering workers bonuses of up to $1,000.

Here's a list of closures reported by local media outlets. The list will be updated as we learn of additional locations.

8801 Old Seward Hwy, Anchorage, AK 99515
3015 W 86th St, Indianapolis, IN 46268
10859 E Washington St, Indianapolis, IN 46229
4024 Elkhart Rd #1, Goshen, IN 46526
9598 Cortana Pl, Baton Rouge, LA 70815
81 International Dr S, Budd Lake, NJ 07828
2649 Erie Blvd E, Syracuse, NY 13224
720 Fairmount Ave, Jamestown, NY 14701
700 Elmridge Center Dr, Rochester, NY 14626
1600 Marketplace Dr, Rochester, NY 14623
1615 S Loop W, Houston, TX 77054
13331 Westheimer Rd, Houston, TX 77077
901 S Grady Way, Renton, WA 98057
1101 Outlet Collection Way, Auburn, WA 98001
13550 Aurora Ave N, Seattle, WA 98133

Closing 260 of its 660 locations (660 locations according to Wikipedia)... :shock:

That is almost 40% of their retail stores.

Did they have that bad of a Christmas season?
Does raising the base level that they pay their employs have such a major impact leading them to close 40% of their stores?

Now, are the stores "closed" today shutting down permanently or did they close them in an effort to explain to their employees that closing a smaller # of stores is needed as part of their business realignment? We will need to see.

BUT, closing stores without making any sort of prior announcement to your customers (I can imagine some will be pissed) and employees does sound pretty drastic. And keep this in mind: Sam's is a little different from most major retailers in that they require that you purchase a membership in order to shop there. Other businesses may close a location and the customer has not (financially) suffered any sort of immediate loss. Annual membership fees from from $45-100, based on the tier that you select. People who just renewed their annual membership fee are going to be pissed if they no longer have a Sam's Club to shop at. Doing something this drastic may drive some of their members off to competitors like Costco or BJ's Wholesale.

PS. So this article doesn't fit with the alligator incident that I started the thread with....but hey, it fit the thread title. ;-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:35 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 17927
Probably a mix of:

1) Amazon edging into everyone's sales. Including the huge amount of online shopping done this last Xmas.

2) An increase in pay, benefits, and bonuses. Notably the health insurance costs that have skyrocketed in recent years.

But that many not be all of it. My sister, who occasionally shops at a plain 'ole Superstore (not Sam's Club) for some groceries, told me they haven't been keeping a lot of stuff in-stock. Notably the produce and such.

Makes me wonder whether Wal-Mart is planning some big sell-off, or some kind of widespread corporate change or partitioning.