maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fukushima
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:48 pm 
Honorary Texan

Reputation points: 7273
Quote:
You Were Lied to Again! Washington DC Now Admits East Coast is at RADCON 4 as a Result of Fukushima

http://thelastgreatstand.com/lgs/2014/0 ... fukushima/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:03 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14884
http://news.yahoo.com/strong-quake-hits ... 41556.html

Quote:
Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami

Associated Press
22 minutes ago

A 6.8-magnitude earthquake has hit Japan's northern coast near the nuclear power plant crippled in the 2011 earthquake and tsunami.

Japan's Meteorological Agency says the quake struck early Saturday 10 kilometers (6 miles) below the sea surface off the coast of Fukushima, northeast of Tokyo.

The agency issued tsunami advisory along the Japanese northern coast.

Public broadcaster NHK says the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant is checking if there is any damage from the quake.

The 2011 disaster killed about 19,000 people. That disaster also triggered multiple meltdowns at the Fukushima plant. More than 100,000 people are still unable to go home due to fear of radiation contamination from the plant.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:17 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2776
chijohnaok wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/strong-quake-hits-japan-triggering-tsunami-194741556.html

Quote:
Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami

Associated Press
22 minutes ago

A 6.8-magnitude earthquake has hit Japan's northern coast near the nuclear power plant crippled in the 2011 earthquake and tsunami.

Japan's Meteorological Agency says the quake struck early Saturday 10 kilometers (6 miles) below the sea surface off the coast of Fukushima, northeast of Tokyo.

The agency issued tsunami advisory along the Japanese northern coast.

Public broadcaster NHK says the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant is checking if there is any damage from the quake.

The 2011 disaster killed about 19,000 people. That disaster also triggered multiple meltdowns at the Fukushima plant. More than 100,000 people are still unable to go home due to fear of radiation contamination from the plant.

My first taught is that hopefully they have rebuild all the damaged tsunami installations in Fukushima. 6.8 earthquake is a small one compared what happened 2011. But then the proximity worries me.

I hope no big damage.

PS. One meter tsunami (according to Reuters), no need to worry.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:29 pm 
Sergeant Major

nero wrote:

My first taught is that hopefully they have rebuild all the damaged tsunami installations in Fukushima. 6.8 earthquake is a small one compared what happened 2011. But then the proximity worries me.

I hope no big damage.

They apparently are still having issues there:

This report was from July 7, only 4 days ago:

Quote:
The operator of Japan’s Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant reportedly has only nine days to repair one of its reactors to prevent dangerous overheating.

Reports say the technicians of Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) switched off the cooling system at the fifth reactor unit of the plant on Sunday following a water leak there. An investigation by engineers showed 1,300 liters of water leaked from a cooling system.

“The source of the leak was a 3 mm-diameter hole near a flow valve,” a TEPCO statement said.

If the system is not repaired in nine days, temperatures will exceed the dangerous threshold of 65 degrees. Such a temperature would increase the possibility of dangerous reactions and further radiation leaks in the plant.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2014/07/07 ... ng-danger/

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:35 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2776
chijohnaok wrote:
nero wrote:

I hope no big damage.

They apparently are still having issues there:

This report was from July 7, only 4 days ago:

Quote:
The operator of Japan’s Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant reportedly has only nine days to repair one of its reactors to prevent dangerous overheating.

Reports say the technicians of Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) switched off the cooling system at the fifth reactor unit of the plant on Sunday following a water leak there. An investigation by engineers showed 1,300 liters of water leaked from a cooling system.

“The source of the leak was a 3 mm-diameter hole near a flow valve,” a TEPCO statement said.

If the system is not repaired in nine days, temperatures will exceed the dangerous threshold of 65 degrees. Such a temperature would increase the possibility of dangerous reactions and further radiation leaks in the plant.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2014/07/07 ... ng-danger/

I was thinking of the tsunami walls. The Fukushima plant is fubb anyway.

So it goes.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:41 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15557
No, two of the reactors are still undamaged. I think No. 5 is one of yet undamaged ones.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:08 am 
Honorary Texan

Reputation points: 7273
No matter. 350 million gallons of radioactive water has been pumped and leaked into the Pacific every day since 2011.

Don't eat the fish.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:35 am 
Sergeant Major

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/t ... /18752871/

Quote:
Fukushima radiation identified off northern California

Satellite measurements of ocean temperature from July 28th to August 4th and the direction of currents help show where radionuclides from Fukushima are transported.
Source: Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution

Tracy Loew, Statesman Journal 11:02 a.m. PST November 10, 2014

Low-level radiation from Japan's Fukushima nuclear accident has been detected in multiple samples of ocean water off the Pacific Coast of the U.S. and Canada, the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is reporting.

The sample nearest to shore was taken about 100 miles off the coast of Eureka, in Northern California.

The levels are far below those that might pose a risk to human health or marine life, said Ken Buesseler, a WHOI marine chemist who is leading the monitoring effort.

"The levels are only detectable by sophisticated equipment able to discern minute quantities of radioactivity," Buesseler said.

And so far, no samples taken from beaches have tested positive for Fukushima radiation.

Massive amounts of contaminated water were released from the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant following a March 2011 earthquake and tsunami. Radioactive water has continued to leak and be released from the complex.

The radioactive plume has traveled across the Pacific, propelled largely by ocean currents and being diluted along the way.

No state or federal agency is testing Pacific waters for radiation from the crippled plant, so earlier this year Buesseler launched a crowd-funded, citizen-science effort to collect surf samples to be tested at his lab in Massachusetts.

Buesseler is looking for cesium-134, the so-called "fingerprint" of Fukushima. Cesium-134 does not occur naturally in the environment and has a short two-year half-life, so any in the Pacific today had to come from Fukushima.

He's also looking for higher-than-background levels of cesium-137, another Fukushima isotope that already is present in the world's oceans from nuclear testing in the 1950s and 1960s.

Processing has been completed on about 50 of the surf samples, taken from the Bering Strait to San Diego. None have been positive for Fukushima radiation.

But this summer Buesseler partnered with a group of volunteers on the research vessel 'Point Sur' to take a series of about 50 samples offshore, from Dutch Harbor, Alaska to Eureka.

So far, about 20 of those samples have been analyzed, and 10 have been positive for cesium-134, the Fukushima fingerprint. All were relatively close to the surface.

The amount of cesium-134 in each sample was less than 2 becquerels per cubic meter (Bq/m3). That's about 1,000 times lower than the acceptable limit in drinking water set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

"I don't want to be dismissive of concerns," Buesseler said. "But there's a big difference between ten million becquerels – and it was that high off Japan in 2011 – and a few of these becquerels like we're seeing off Eureka."

"It's not zero," he said. "But it's not some large, dangerous amount of cesium that might reach our shorelines."

It's hard to predict when the Fukushima isotopes will reach beaches, Buesseler said.

"The models predict cesium levels to increase over the next two to three years, but do a poor job describing how much more dilution will take place and where those waters will reach the shoreline first," he said.

Buesseler is presenting his findings Thursday at the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry's annual meeting in Vancouver, BC.

tloew@statesmanjournal.com, (503) 399-6779 or follow at Twitter.com/SJWatchdog

Ask the scientist

Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution marine chemist Ken Buesseler will respond to questions from the public on the "Ask Me Anything" forum on Reddit at 10 a.m. today.

Learn more about the project at http://www.ourradioactiveocean.org/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:26 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11323
That is more proof of the sensitivity of our instruments than any sign of danger.

Nuclear testing and the atomic bombings of WW2 led to a need for this, for example :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-background_steel

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:43 am 
Sergeant Major

The levels detected do seem low, way below the established thresh holds.

What I found most concerning in the article was this:

Quote:
No state or federal agency is testing Pacific waters for radiation from the crippled plant, so earlier this year Buesseler launched a crowd-funded, citizen-science effort to collect surf samples to be tested at his lab in Massachusetts.

To think that after as large a disaster as the Fukushima meltdown was, that there is no government agency testing for radiation levels in the Pacific Ocean near the US sounds a bit disturbing.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next